Number 125

On the Waterfront (1954)

on_the_waterfront.jpg

"Conscience... that stuff can drive you nuts!"

Most Valuable Player: Marlon Brando's Lead Performance

Box Office: N/A

Tomatometer: 98%

Notable Awards: Won 8 Oscars, including Best Picture

Synopsis: An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses.

Critic Opinion: "Under Elia Kazan’s direction, Marlon Brando puts on a spectacular show, giving a fascinating, multi-faceted performance as the uneducated dock walloper and former pug, who is basically a softie with a special affection for his rooftop covey of pigeons and a neighborhood girl back from school.  Kazan does a penetrating job of staging the fireworks and the interspersing tender meetings between Brando and the girl. Latter is Eva Marie Saint, a newcomer to films who has appeared in television and the legiter, “Trip to Bountiful.” Miss Saint, in sharp contrast with the robust people and settings of “Waterfront,” is fresh and delicate but with enough spirit to escape listlessness in her characterization." - Variety Staff (1954)

User Opinion: None??

Reasoning: On the Waterfront is an all-time classic that stands among one of the best Best Picture winners in Oscar history.  The film succeeds on practically every level, from the cinematography, to Bernstein's exciting Romantic score, to Kazan's direction, and Schulberg's layered screenplay.  Most of all, Marlon Brando delivers one of the greatest performances in history, a real game changer when it comes to acting.  Brando's performance is layered and powerful, one of the most defining performances given during that time, it's Brando that truly makes On the Waterfront work wonders.  On the Waterfront is a terrific, classic drama.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 10, 1970s: 13, 1980s: 24, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

on-the-waterfront-primary.jpg

• Like 3

Number 124

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

To_Kill_a_Mockingbird_poster.jpg

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Most Valuable Player: Harper Lee's Novel and Horton Foote's Screenplay

Tomatometer: 91%

Notable Awards: Won 3 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: Atticus Finch, a lawyer in the Depression-era South, defends a black man against an undeserved rape charge, and his children against prejudice.

Critic Opinion: "Harper Lee's child's-eye view of southern bigotry gains something in its translation to the screen by Robert Mulligan, who knows exactly where to place the camera to catch a child's subjective experience (1962). Mulligan even wrings a respectable performance from Gregory Peck (he won an Oscar for the role) as the country lawyer who defends a black man on a trumped-up murder charge. Peck's icy remove works for once—as a kid's idea of a parent, he's frighteningly effective." - Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader

User Opinion: "Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, LEGENDAY chills esp the final speech of the Tom Robinson trial. The newcomers especially the girl who plays Scout are all fantastic as well as Robert Duvall as Boo Radley. Should be required viewing in all American middle and/or high schools like the book pretty much is."  - GiantCALBears

Reasoning: Even if the novel and film may seem a bit naive for the time, To Kill a Mockingbird is a chilling and moving trial/procedural film about bigotry and racism, as well as a film about empathy.  This is about as fine of an adaption of Harper Lee's classic novel as you'll ever get, and everyone in the film delivers near-perfect portrayals of Lee's characters.  It's no wonder that To Kill a Mockingbird is read by students in nearly every primary school throughout America, and this film only furthers that point.  It teaches lessons that we didn't only need at the time it was written, but are still highly needed for society today.  The world would be a much better place if people like Trump were able to pick up Lee's novel, or watch this film version, and truly understand the meaning behind it.  To Kill a Mockingbird is more than a great film, it's a film with lessons and thoughts for viewers to carry with them after the credits roll.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 13, 1980s: 24, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

tumblr_nie6csmnyc1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 7

Number 123

Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) (1988)

grave-of-the-fireflies-movie-poster-1988

"Why must fireflies die so young?"

Most Valuable Player: Takahata's Direction

Tomatometer: 97%

Notable Awards: Ranked #58 on IMDb Top 250

Synopsis: A young boy and his little sister struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Critic Opinion: "The locations and backgrounds are drawn in a style owing something to the 18th century Japanese artist Hiroshige and his modern disciple Herge (the creator of Tin Tin). There is great beauty in them--not cartoon beauty, but evocative landscape drawing, put through the filter of animated style. The characters are typical of much modern Japanese animation, with their enormous eyes, childlike bodies and features of great plasticity (mouths are tiny when closed, but enormous when opened in a child’s cry--we even see Setsuko’s tonsils). This film proves, if it needs proving, that animation produces emotional effects not by reproducing reality, but by heightening and simplifying it, so that many of the sequences are about ideas, not experiences." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "The only film that has ever made me sob. I could not stop crying for ten minutes after watching it. A masterpiece, and definitely one of, if not the best war film ever made. A stunningly beautiful work, and one of the most emotionally wrenching. You're going to want to watch this. It'll make you cry, but you'll be a slightly better person for it." - Noctis

Reasoning: One of the most heartbreaking films to have ever been created.  Hotaru no haka, or Grave of the Fireflies, is a tragic anti-war film that stands as one of the most emotionally moving films ever made.  There are so many moments that are brilliantly, and subtly, shown that cause the heart to sink, from the rice balls, to the fireflies being buried, and so forth.  The movie really manages to succeed as an animated movie that truly takes advantage of its medium to tell an incredibly human story.  I'd question if you even have emotions if this movie doesn't bring you at least to a single tear, if not outright sobbing.  A powerful cinematic experience, and one of the ten best animated films ever created.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 13, 1980s: 25, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

grave-3-1024x554.png

• Like 4

I just realized I meant to have Grave of the Fireflies at number 122 and this movie at Number 123, it's fine this way though too.

Number 122

The Princess Bride (1987)

princess_bride.jpg

"My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die!"

Most Valuable Player: William Goldman's Story

Box Office: 30.9m (68.3m Adjusted)

Notable Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Synopsis: While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him a story called The Princess Bride.

Critic Opinion: "'This is true love,'' says the dashing Westley, gazing into the starry eyes of the beautiful Buttercup. Expressed with a passionate innocence, his sentiment is fully in keeping with a tale of brave swordsmen and their ladies. But then, hardly pausing a beat, Westley continues, rhetorically, ''You think this happens every day?''

The flippancy of this remark is jarring. Coming just after the hero's heartfelt declaration of love, it makes you wonder whether The Princess Bride is a romantic legend or a parody of a romantic legend. Actually, this delightful film is both -- and neither. As you watch it, The Princess Bride keeps you delightedly off balance by sure-footedly walking a fine line between satire and sincerity." - Boyar, Orlando Sentinel

User Opinion: "I just love this movie so much. ASSSSSSSSSSSS YOUUUUUUUUUUU WISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Oh, my sweet Wesley. -both fall for a minute-" - Travod

Reasoning: The Princess Bride a deft and exciting 'post-modern' fairytale that never fails to entertain with its mixture of classical cliches, as well ironic and deconstructive satire that makes everything blend together so well.  It's a children's movie I loved watching as a child, and still could watch over and over today.  There is a barrage of iconic scenes and quotes throughout that just never get old, no matter how many times they're repeated.  Full of wit and charm, the Princess Bride stands as one of the greatest fantasy films ever made, it's truly a gem of a movie.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 13, 1980s: 26, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

126190a43d2b7a51a50bf7e2a247ee4f.jpg

• Like 5

Number 121

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

f02a5630ac8d369e1db83b89c626abb0.jpg

"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

Most Valuable Player: Zsigmond for the Cinematography

Box Office: 116.4m (430.3m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 96%

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar

Synopsis: After an encounter with U.F.O.s, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area in the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen.

Critic Opinion: "But this is a sci-fi classic that needs no other referents. As with his later ET, the first signs of an alien visit are registered through the eyes of children with their instinctively generous reverence – but also through deadpan officialdom and all its occult, scientific dial-twitches and readings. The coolly extended scene-setting dialogue, with over-talking and middle-distance sound design, still feels great. Casting François Truffaut as the chief investigating scientist Lacombe was a left-field masterstroke; I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – if Jean-Luc Godard was going to be in it, he would have wanted to play the alien, and not a very nice alien, either.

Richard Dreyfuss is the everyman who is touched and sunburned and exalted by his close encounter. His cherubic whiskered face has never looked more like a child’s or a saint’s. John Williams’s eerie five-note alien music-language, ending questioningly on the dominant (like a broken toy), is repeated over and over again until exactly the right cosmic tempo is found for communication. Another inspired touch. Time for another encounter." - Bradshaw, The Guardian

User Opinion: "Love it, Spielberg at his most hopeful and optimistic.  So many iconic moments and one of Williams best scores."

Reasoning:  Full of emotion, excellent writing, astounding visual effects and a great score by John Williams, Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a sci-fi classic that really succeeds with both its originality and iconic visual shots.  There's feelings of tension and suspense, a childlike form of mysticism, and a climax that succeeds not only in the original cut, but even more so in the special edition that Spielberg released three years later (improving an already impressive film by quite a bit, through cleaner editing and a stronger ending).  It's also that rare alien film that doesn't turn the aliens into mindless animals with advanced tech who just want to blow things up, and that always gets kudos in my book.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 14, 1980s: 26, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

dvd_kind.jpg

• Like 6

Number 120

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

600full-star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-t

"You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny."

Most Valuable Player: The Visual Effects and Lucas' World Building

Box Office: 252.6m (700.5m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 80%

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar

Synopsis: After rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, the rebels attempt to destroy the second Death Star, while Luke struggles to make Vader return from the dark side of the Force.

Critic Opinion: "“Jedi,” however, is thoroughly touching in its humanism — to his great credit, Lucas invests with wisdom and power the most odd and helpless-looking creatures, making a profound visual statement — and in its wisdom and deep-rooted hope that The Force or the good will prevail.  “Jedi” also features the best acting by all principals in the “Star Wars” series. It is a film that demonstrates how a talented and thoughtful filmmaker still can be the champion of the box office by putting quality first and foremost in his work — both in storyline and in the latest special effects.  While we’ll miss the original characters, thankfully George Lucas, a great cinematic force, will always be with us." - Andrews, Denver Post

User Opinion: "The moment Luke enters Jabba's palace you like HE"S A JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shfsdhfksdhfsdfususg One of my favorite movie moments ever!

Its flawed no doubt but its a perfect ending to the Star Wars saga. When that john Williams score kicks in and we see Vader burning in the fire I always want to cry. I can go on and on but I don't want to sit here and type for 12 hours so Im done." - Jay Hollywood

Reasoning: Maybe this is the most flawed on the original trilogy, but it's fairly irrelevant, because Return of the Jedi is a purely entertaining and grand-scale conclusion to the first trilogy in the Galaxy far, far away.  While there are certain sections in the first two acts that some say drag, I still find the film to be, overall, top-notch blockbuster movie making.  The confrontation of Vader, Luke and the Emperor are some of the best scenes in the Star Wars franchise, and the entire movie is an absolute joy to watch.  Maybe it's still a bit hammy, but that's partly what makes these original Star Wars movies so great.  This was my favorite of the original three when I was a child, I'd have fake lightsaber fights while watching it, a brilliant blockbuster.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 14, 1980s: 27, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

ESB_long_shot.jpg

• Like 8

Number 119

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

Fiddler_on_the_roof.jpg

"I know, I know. We are Your chosen people. But, once in a while, can't You choose someone else?"

Most Valuable Player: The Songs and Topol's Lead Performance

Tomatometer: 81%

Notable Awards: Won 3 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: In prerevolutionary Russia, a Jewish peasant contends with marrying off three of his daughters while growing anti-Semitic sentiment threatens his village.

Critic Opinion: "No one needs to be told how fantastic the music is with this film, though it is nice to be reminded of this fact. From the opening “Tradition!” number, which served in place of an Overture, to the mournful denouement “Anatevka,” the songs still live and transcend the time in which the production was first made.  The stars are great, led by Topol in his career-making performance. I’ll admit that I can’t watch his other films (including the James Bond classic “For Your Eyes Only”) without hearing him sing “If I Were a Rich Man” in the back of my head. There’s a vibrant nature to the acting in this film that warms the heart and makes it feel comfortable, even when things aren’t going so great for the characters." - Carr, 7m Picture

User Opinion: N/A

Reasoning: An all-time classic musical on broadway, as well as a classic cinematic adaption.  Fiddler on the Roof is rife with many iconic visual sequences, as well as a score and soundtrack you'll never forget.  The performances are full of life, well-rounded and rather powerful when everything comes together in the moving climax at the end of the film.  Fiddler on the Roof touches on a number of themes in a fair bit of depth, from passing onto the next the generation, to discrimination, to cultural conflicts, however the film is never overly heavy handed with any of them.  There's a number of people on these forums who probably have never seen, or maybe never even have heard, of this film, and they should most definitely give it a watch.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 11, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 27, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

fdd7.jpg

• Like 3

Number 118

Pinocchio (1940)

pinocchio.jpg

"A lie keeps growing and growing until it's as plain as the nose on your face."

Most Valuable Player: Walt Disney for getting it made

Box Office: 39m (478.5m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 100%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars

Synopsis: A living puppet, with the help of a cricket as his conscience, must prove himself worthy to become a real boy.

Critic Opinion: "Walt Disney has waved his magic wand over Collodi’s world-famous fairy story, “Pinocchio,” and presto! he has changed it into the most enchanting film ever brought to the screen.  The great genius of the animated cartoon and his staff of talented artists have created a screen fantasy that is a worthy successor to Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and surpasses the latter be shown hereafter in a continuous performance program." - Kate Cameron, New York Daily News (1940)

User Opinion: "I love Pinocchio. Actually I just love Disney in general. Soooooo many great movies, and this is one of their most memorable."

Reasoning: One of the peaks of Disney's vast cinematic cannon, even when including their live action and Pixar works, Pinocchio is one of the greatest animations to ever grace the screen.  The film is gifted with a magical original score, and features Disney's defining song "When You Wish Upon a Star" at the beginning of the film.  The film is a family adventure with frights, heart and a moral lesson to it all.  Pinocchio is one of Disney's darker animations, while also being one of the most charming and lovable of their animated works.  Beautifully animated, a defining example of Walt Disney's brilliance.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 27, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

Pinocchio-facts.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/03/2017 at 11:03 PM, The Panda said:

Number 119

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

Fiddler_on_the_roof.jpg

There's a number of people on these forums who probably have never seen, or maybe never even have heard, of this film, and they should most definitely give it a watch.

That would be me :whosad:

Sounds Interesting, I'll add to  my watch list.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

Number 117

Braveheart (1995)

braveheart.jpg

"They may take our lives... But they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!!!!"

Most Valuable Player: Mel Gibson's Direction

Box Office: 75.6m (150.1m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 78%

Notable Awards: Won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

Synopsis: When his secret bride is executed for assaulting an English soldier who tried to rape her, Sir William Wallace begins a revolt against King Edward I of England.

Critic Opinion: "Mel Gibson throws his whole heart into a role. No one acts with more conviction, and his errors are honest ones. In his latest movie, Gibson isn't just the star, he's also the director. And he directs the same way he acts - with all his big, brave heart."  - Boyar, Orlando Sentinel

User Opinion: "one of the most flawed but yet so perfect a movie." - omario

Reasoning: Braveheart is by no means a perfect movie, its lines can often feel a bit contrived, the historical accuracy is sketch, and so forth, however none of those flaws end up getting the way of making this a grandiose and epic film.  It follows the epic mold rather step by step, but Gibson's direction manages to be strong enough to really make it feel entirely fresh.  The large-scale battles are incredible to watch, the politics are fun to follow, and in the moment the various freedom speeches really get your blood pumping.  Also, for as brave as the adrenaline action works in the film, the heart part also works just as well.  You care for the characters, and the ending manages to move and inspire.  Braveheart is a definitive war epic.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 27, 1990s: 17, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

1995-Braveheart-08.jpg

• Like 5

Number 116

Silence of the Lambs (1991)

KYuPU.jpg

"Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

Most Valuable Player: Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins' performances

Box Office: 130.7m (268.6m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 95%

Notable Awards: Won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

Synopsis:  A young F.B.I. cadet must confide in an incarcerated and manipulative killer to receive his help on catching another serial killer who skins his victims.

Critic Opinion: "This multi-Oscar-winning classic, adapted from Thomas Harris's bestseller, was responsible for giving cinematic serial killers a better image, thanks to Anthony Hopkins's enthralling portrayal of Hannibal Lecter. So what if Lecter was an incarcerated cannibal? It was unprecedented that an actor playing a crazed killer should mount the podium to collect an Oscar (the ceremony host that year, Billy Crystal, was wheeled on dressed as Lecter), while Hopkins's "Fava beans and a nice chianti" line became legendary. Jodie Foster also won an Oscar for her role as fledgeling FBI agent Clarice Starling, who is drawn into a disturbingly close relationship with Lecter as she hunts for serial killer "Buffalo Bill", and it's a testament to her abilities that she holds her own against her scene-stealing co-star. With a track record for directing quirky comedies (Something Wild, Married to the Mob), director Jonathan Demme made a seemingly effortless switch to terror, summoning up a magnificent air of gothic gloom. The hunt for the killer is genuinely suspenseful, but Demme generates the real chill with the probing mind games between his two marvellous leads. Spare a thought, too, for the talented supporting players: stoical Scott Glenn as Foster's boss, Ted Levine as the tormented killer and Anthony Heald as the ill-fated hospital head, the butt of the movie's flip end gag." - Fergusen, Radio Times

User Opinion: "Off the charts A+++. Off course Sir Anthony was brilliant as Hannibal. Excellent performance. And who could forget Buffalo Bill dancing around naked, lol? The writing was brilliant.But the best part of this for me was Jodie Foster aka Agent Starling. As a woman, I love it when women are representing on screen as women and not some super woman. She played the role of a "green" agent to a tee. When she was alone in the house tracking Buffalo Bill I thought I was gonna come out of my skin. She was fukkin' scared but remained calm and kept moving forward. That was some awesome work by Foster. She gets it right. There are only two other female's work in cinema that are on that level of intensity to me. Linda Hamilton in Terminator and Sigourney Weaver in Alien. The way they played their roles put you right there with them as they were going toward the unknown. It's so funny because Meg Ryan was the front runner for Agent Starling and she turned it down. The director did not want Foster and the studio did not want Hopkins so they reached a compromise. Biography Chanenl did a really nice story on the making of the Silence of the Lambs. They just don't make movies like this anymore." - ecstacy

Reasoning: Silence of the Lambs is pretty extraordinary, from the fact that this Valentine's Day horror-release managed to win Best Picture, to the fact that the movie just turned out so darned good.  The movie has a psychological intensity to it that does the majority of the heavy-lifting when it comes to the horror part of the film, and there's a creepy and tense mood that's created from it all.  Anthony Hopkins and Foster are what really make this film come alive, both of their performances as an FBI Agent and as Hannibal Lecter keep your eyes glued to the screen and keep you caring about everything that goes down.  An all-time great horror feature.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 27, 1990s: 18, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

tumblr_nja0zkEZfb1te9bggo5_1280.jpg

• Like 7

Number 115

Raging Bull (1980)

Raging_Bull_poster.jpg

"I'm da boss, I'm da boss, I'm da boss, I'm da boss, I'm da boss... "

Most Valuable Player: Scorsese for his Direction and De Niro for his Lead Performance

Box Office: 23.4m (75m Adjusted)

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: An emotionally self-destructive boxer's journey through life, as the violence and temper that leads him to the top in the ring destroys his life outside it.

Critic Opinion: "‘You was my brudda. You shoulda looked out for me a little bit… I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum…’ When the washed-up Jake La Motta (Robert De Niro) quotes ‘On The Waterfront’ to himself, it tells us as much about his self-pity as the actual parallels with Brando’s Terry Malloy. Not just a contender but a champ, La Motta’s fall stemmed not from outside pressures but inner weaknesses, stunningly realised in De Niro’s colossal performance; both he and Scorsese have arguably never been better. Following from 1941 to 1964 the explosively jealous and narcissistic middle-weight, his brother-manager Joey – Joe Pesci, great in his breakthrough role, first of the badabing pairings with De Niro that would define his career – and Jake’s tenderised wife Vickie (Cathy Moriarty), ‘Raging Bull’ is a masterclass in pain inflicted on oneself and one’s loved ones, as well as one’s opponents. The use of pop and opera and the black-and-white photography (by Michael Chapman) are exemplary, the actual boxing a compulsive dance of death." - Walters, Time Out

User Opinion:  "DeNiro's performance is undoubtedly the movie, but I also love Joe Pesci lot in this.I think it's a great movie, one of Scorsese's bests. Gripping and honest, with great acting performances all around.There are many good and memorable scenes in the movie, but my favorite gotta be the ending scene when Jake was doing his monologue and pep talking before going on stage. The manner, the delivery of lines are perfect. Robert DeNiro is really a one of a kind actor."

Reasoning: One of the best of Scorsese's vast and deep filmography of good to great features.  Raging Bull is, in a way, the anti-Rocky, watching the rise of the man in the ring as he falls in his life, fairly tragic.  Robert De Niro commits himself to the role in a way most actors would not, and brings out one of the strongest performances ever to be put on the screen.  Martin Scorsese, like always, takes a leading role with his direction, making himself always known, in a way.  It's not the most pleasant film to go and watch, but it's without a doubt a moving one and a compelling one.  One of (if not) the best Sports movies to have ever been made.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 28, 1990s: 18, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

Raging-Bull.jpg

• Like 3

Number 114

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)

mad-max-2-poster.jpg

"Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!"

Most Valuable Player: George Miller for his Direction and the Action Sequences

Box Office: 23.7m (69.6m Adjusted)

Notable Awards: None

Synopsis:  In the post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland, a cynical drifter agrees to help a small, gasoline rich, community escape a band of bandits.

Critic Opinion: ""Mad Max 2" [released in the United States as "The Road Warrior"] is a film of pure action, of kinetic energy organized around the barest possible bones of a plot. It has a vision of a violent future world, but it doesn't develop that vision with characters and dialogue. It would rather plunge headlong into one of the most relentlessly aggressive movies ever made. I walked out of "Mad Max 2" a little dizzy and with my ears still ringing from the roar of the sound track." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "Having re-watched it after watching Fury Road, I have new found appreciation for The Road Warrior. The action scenes are spectacular for 1981. In fact Fury Road action scenes look like a newer version of the same from The Road Warrior and that is a huge complement to The Road Warrior.

Mel Gibson is great even in a pretty sombre role."

Reasoning: An action movie pumping with energy and kineticism, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is the superior sequel to Mad Max in George Miller's loud, crazy, and awesome saga of films.  There are so many shots in this movie loaded with crazy imagery, stunts, and pure action fun.  It's a little crazy when you think that this movie was shot back in 1981, because it looks fantastic, even by modern standards.  Everything that worked in the original Mad Max, George Miller takes and cranks it up to another level in The Road Warrior.  Gibson's performance is fun, exciting and honestly superior to Hardy's in Fury Road (but do I find this film superior as a whole to Fury Road?  We'll see...).  Anyone looking to make an action movie should look no further than this one for a textbook example of how it's done.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 29, 1990s: 18, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

mad-max-2-road-warrior-chase.jpg

• Like 3

Number 113

Apollo 13 (1995)

apollo_thirteen_ver1.jpg

"Houston, we have a problem."

Most Valuable Player: The Ensemble of the Film

Box Office: 172.1m (342.1m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 95%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: NASA must devise a strategy to return Apollo 13 to Earth safely after the spacecraft undergoes massive internal damage putting the lives of the three astronauts on board in jeopardy.

Critic Opinion: "With the dramatics of a moon shot and today's movie technology, it's amazing that no one has made this sort of movie before, notably the ill-fated Apollo 13 (there was a forgettable 1974 TV movie with Robert Culp). The moon-bound craft suffered a crippling explosion that jeopardized the lives of the astronauts and held the world in suspense for four days. Whether you remember the events and outcome of the mission or not, "Apollo 13" sustains suspense for all 2 hours and 20 minutes." - Thomas, Seattle Times

User Opinion: "Two of my favorite moments early on are where Tom Hanks is leading the tour around Cape Kennedy & remarks how anything is possible then talks about a computer fitting in a single room & containing millions of pieces of information. This was filmed in 1995 so remember the real internet explosion to becoming everything in our daily lives hadn't happened yet so very nice touch by Hanks & Ron Howard portraying how fast we can accomplish things that seem impossible. That quote "give me a lever long enough & I'll move the world" should be used more today in the space program. It's sad how little of importance NASA (space exploration in general) has become in the 21st Century. 

2nd is much smaller philosophically, but when Hanks is calming his wife down about the mission having the number 13, he brushes it off as any scientist would. It goes to show you despite all the randomness out there things can happen that defy expectation. What were the odds to have something unlucky happen & survive? They can't be good but somehow it turned into one of our space programs finest moments." - GiantCALBears

Reasoning: A Science History movie turned into one of the most thrilling rides of the 1990s, Apollo 13 is not only a suspenseful movie, it's also one that manages to be a powerful testament to the good nature that can reside in the human spirit.  In other words, what made a lot of people love the Martian, is what makes me love Apollo 13, a vastly superior film to that Sci-Fi drama.  Apollo 13 is bolstered with great visual and sound effects, as well as a compelling ensemble that does justice to the real life astronauts they're playing, as well as giving you a reason to care for everything that's happening on the screen.  One of the greatest films about space isn't sci-fi at all, it's a telling of a real life catastrophe and the perseverance it took to turn it into a defining moment for the Space Program.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 6, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 29, 1990s: 19, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

tumblr_njjhl0Hwm21qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 7

Number 112

Shane (1953)

7faa1d914b9fe94ab5d1c9e1e4194efd.jpg

"Shane. Shane! Come back!"

Most Valuable Player: Loyal Griggs for the Cinematography

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar, nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: A weary gunfighter attempts to settle down with a homestead family, but a smoldering settler/rancher conflict forces him to act.

Critic Opinion: "A story depends on who is telling it. "Shane" is told from the point of view of the town and of the boy, who famously cries "Shane! Shane! Come back!" in the closing scene. If we were to follow Shane from town to town, I suspect we would find ritual reenactments of the pattern he's trapped in. Notice that after stopping for a drink of water at Joe's place, he's all set to leave when Ryker's men ride up. That's when he interests himself in another man's quarrel, introduces himself as "a friend," displays his six-gun and essentially chooses to get involved in a scenario that's none of his business and will lead to an ending we suspect he's seen many times before.  Why does he do this? There is a little of the samurai in him, and the medieval knight. He has a code. And yet--there'ssomething elsesuggested by his behavior, his personality, his whole tone. Here is a man tough enough to handle any threat and handsome enough to win the heart of almost any woman. Why does he present himself as a weakling? Why is he without a woman? There must be a deep current of fear, enlivened by masochism. Is he afraid of women? Maybe. Does he deliberately lead men to think they can manhandle him, and then kill them? Manifestly. Does he do this out of bravery and courage, and because he believes in doing the right thing? That is the conventional answer. Does he also do it because it expresses some deep need or yearning? A real possibility. "Shane" never says, and maybe never knows. Shane wears a white hat and Palance wears a black hat, but the buried psychology of this movie is a mottled, uneasy, fascinating gray." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: None

Reasoning: An all-time classic Western, there's much to love and practically nothing to dislike in this masterwork which takes place in a Western Oregon town.  It may appear on the surface level as a film that follows all of the Western genre stereotypes, because in many ways it does, but there is a lot more going on within the characters and storyline of the whole thing that helps to elevate it up to another level.  It's almost an intelligent deconstruction of the genre, without losing what makes a grand Western feel so Western and so fun.  The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and creates many memorable images throughout the film, the film is directed and written quite well, and all of the performances are much more layered than they appear on the surface.  A wonderful take on the Western Genre, it's no wonder that Shane is seen as a Western classic.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 7, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 29, 1990s: 19, 2000s: 18, 2010s: 17

Picture-32.png

• Like 2

Number 111

The Hurt Locker (2009)

hurt_locker_ver3.jpg

"There's enough bang in there to send us all to Jesus. I'm gonna die, I wanna die comfortable."

Most Valuable Player: Kathryn Bigelow's Direction

Box Office: 17m (19.4m Adjusted)

Notable Awards: Won 6 Oscars, including Best Picture

Synopsis: During the Iraq War, a Sergeant recently assigned to an army bomb squad is put at odds with his squad mates due to his maverick way of handling his work.

Critic Opinion: "The joke goes that a bomb technician only ever makes two mistakes in his career, the first being taking on the job to begin with. The main character of The Hurt Locker wouldn’t agree. He defuses bombs for a living, and he loves it. This movie takes place during the thick of the Iraq war, but it’s not really about Iraq, nor is it even that much about war in general.  It’s a character piece that tries to figure out what kind of person feels most alive when he’s playing with devices of death. After the austere, nerve-jangling thriller ends, you feel as if you’ve been in his company and have gained as much of an answer as you’ll ever get." - Lin, Fort Worth Weekly

User Opinion:  "This has been called overrated so many times that it's now gone the whole way around and become underrated. It really is as good as the reviews say it is; intense, well-paced, well-acted, and even if it's not an accurate portrayal of bomb squads in Iraq, I have a whole lot more respect for them because of this movie, and I think that counts for something." - tribefan695

Reasoning: While this movie is by no means really about the Iraq War, it's the best movie to be made that takes place in that setting.  The Hurt Locker is a slow-winding and intense character study that looks at a man's fascination and thrill with always living on the edge of death.  What makes this movie work so well, beyond the best performance of Renner's career, is Bigelow's direction that keeps everything together.  The Hurt Locker doesn't delve too much into politics, and it's all the better for it.  The film remains zeroed-in on Renner's character, and it's one of the reasons that makes the film so gripping to watch.  The Hurt Locker is an exhilarating character study and war movie.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 7, 1960s: 11, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 29, 1990s: 19, 2000s: 19, 2010s: 17

The-Hurt-Locker-DI.jpg

• Like 4

Number 110

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

breakfast-at-tiffanys-movie-poster-1961-

"A girl can't read that sort of thing without her lipstick."

Most Valuable Player: Henry Mancini's Score

Tomatometer: 88%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars

Synopsis: A young New York socialite becomes interested in a young man who has moved into her apartment building.

Critic Opinion: "Out of the elusive, but curiously intoxicating Truman Capote fiction, scenarist George Axelrod has developed a surprisingly moving film, touched up into a stunningly visual motion picture. Capote buffs may find some of Axelrod's fanciful alterations a bit too precocious, pat and glossy for comfort, but enough of the original's charm and vigor has been retained." - Variety Staff

User Opinion: None

Reasoning: An incredibly charming and captivating adaption of Capote's classic novel, "Breakfast at Tiffany's".  There's plenty of elements of comedy and wit throughout the movie, fun and entertaining scenes, however at the heart of it all is a compelling drama and romance that works among the best of them.  Henry Mancini also delivers an iconic score, as well as a few incredibly well-placed songs that bring the film to life.  Beyond that, Audrey Hepburn gives her best performance and draws your attention straight to her with every scene, she leaves you absolutely fascinated.  The film also offers nice and sentimental insight over love and how people view it.  It's really hard to watch this film and not at least enjoy it, if not absolutely love it.  A great gem from the early 60s time period.  The cat is wonderful too.

Decade Count: 1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 7, 1960s: 12, 1970s: 15, 1980s: 29, 1990s: 19, 2000s: 19, 2010s: 17

7b5a2c9127a5e71edc19350e03fc4ce9.jpg

• Like 3