Number 155

Ghostbusters (1984)

81Pz44xom+L._SY550_.jpg

"Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown... THROW IT!"

Most Valuable Player: Bill Muray's Lead Performance

Box Office: 229.2m (588.9m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 97%

Notable Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Synopsis: Three former parapsychology professors set up shop as a unique ghost removal service.

Critic Opinion: "Some of the special effects now seem quite dated but in 1984 they were state of the art. Ghostbusters is a rare example of a big budget summer blockbuster that is also a critics' darling. It has been named to many all time best movie comedy lists over the years and has many quotable lines of dialogue. Perhaps the most famous being Murray's paraphrasing of Julius Caesar, “We came. We saw. We kicked its ass.”  Ghostbusters is quite simply one of the all-time great escapist movie entertainments." - Nash, Three Movie Buffs

User Opinion: "First time I saw the giant marshmallow man I lost it." - BoxOfficeZ

Reasoning: At one point the highest grossing comedy of all time, Ghostbusters is a laugh riot that manages to be entertaining for anyone who watches it at any age.  Bill Murray is hysterical as the lead of the crew, and the effects are pretty wild for an 80s movie.  Harold Ramis shows his strength and capabilities as a screenwriter yet again with some cleverly written one liners and exchanges.  Ghostbusters is simply one of the most entertaining movies ever made.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 7, 1970s: 7, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 12

ghostbusters-1984-harold-ramis-dan-aykro

• Like 4

Number 154

John Carpenter's Halloween (1978)

halloween-1.jpg

"Death has come to your little town, Sheriff."

Most Valuable Player: John Carpenter's sense of horror

Box Office: 47m (173.7m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 93%

Notable Awards: None

Synopsis: Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield to kill again.

Critic Opinion: " “Halloween” is an absolutely merciless thriller, a movie so violent and scary that, yes, I would compare it to “Psycho” (1960). It's a terrifying and creepy film about what one of the characters calls Evil Personified. Right. And that leads us to the one small piece of plot I'm going to describe. There's this six-year-old kid who commits a murder right at the beginning of the movie, and is sent away, and is described by his psychiatrist as someone he spent eight years trying to help, and then the next seven years trying to keep locked up. But the guy escapes. And he returns on Halloween to the same town and the same street where he committed his first murder. And while the local babysitters telephone their boyfriends and watch “The Thing” on television, he goes back into action." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "This is the only horror film that really stayed with me for years. Just the music would creep me out for the longest time. I am sure it stayed with me due to it being a childhood memory type fear, but still I have a friend that still can't watch the movie with the sound on or at night time.
I don't have to add much to what baumer said. It's truly a classic." - 75Live

Reasoning: There are few horror movies that manage to be straight up as effective as John Carpenter's Halloween, probably the pinnacle of John Carpenter's long list of chilling horror classics.  The score sets an eerie and suspenseful mood, and it's quite hard to get out of your head.  Michael Myers also resonates as one of the most memorable horror villains of all time.  There are so many horror films to come after Halloween that attempt to copy its techniques, and there really hasn't been one that managed to do it as well as John Carpenter did it originally.  What else is there to say other than this is an actually scary horror classic?

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 7, 1970s: 8, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 12

halloween-framing.jpg?itok=ax0Cm5R3

• Like 5

Number 153

All the President's Men (1976)

All_the_president's_men.jpg

"Goddammit, when is somebody going to go on the record in this story? You guys are about to write a story that says the former Attorney General, the highest-ranking law enforcement officer in this country, is a crook! Just be sure you're right."

Most Valuable Player: William Goldman's Screenplay

Box Office: 70.6m (286.7m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 93%

Notable Awards: Won 4 Oscars, nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: "The Washington Post" reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein uncover the details of the Watergate scandal that leads to President Richard Nixon's resignation.

Critic Opinion: "In 1976, America was swept up in a tizzy of Bicentennial fever. Red, white, and blue bunting was everywhere you looked. The government reissued the two-dollar bill. Paul Anka hosted an NBC special called Happy Birthday, America. But underneath all of the shiny, happy jingoism were the still-fresh scabs of our messy exit from Vietnam and the recent resignation of Richard Nixon. The country was sick. And Hollywood became our national shrink, serving up a double-dose look at what was ailing us in Network (1976, R, 2 hrs., 1 min.) and All the President’s Men (1976, PG, ? 2 hrs., 18 mins.). Commemorating their 35th anniversaries, both films have gotten flashy new Blu-ray releases packed with Extras like juicy commentaries, vintage interviews, and rich making-of featurettes that give us a peek behind the celluloid curtain. When Sidney Lumet adapted Paddy Chayefsky’s scathing satire Network, we were all still at the mercy of three TV networks, whose trusted nightly news anchors were the stentorian voices of God. There was no Fox News, no Daily Show, and carny-barking reality TV freak shows were still a couple of decades off. But somehow Network saw them all coming. Craven TV execs like Faye Dunaway’s may have seemed harmlessly cartoonish then, but now they feel like a dangerous prophecy come true. It’s only a matter of time before some on-air Tea Party type has a Howard Beale-style meltdown, urging us to go to our windows and shout, ?I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!” The film’s never been more timely. Ditto for Alan J. Pakula’s All the President’s Men. Based on Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s best-seller about cracking the byzantine Watergate cover-up, the movie is a victory lap for American journalism — the triumphant flip side to Network‘s self-loathing take on the media. It also anticipated our current WikiLeaks era, with Robert Redford (Woodward) and Dustin Hoffman (Bernstein) milking anonymous sources and burning shoe leather to speak truth to power. These films are timeless and essential, raising thorny questions we’re still struggling to answer 35 years later. That must have been heavy stuff to be hit with at the multiplex in 1976. Maybe that’s why Rocky walked away with Best Picture. " - Nashawaty, Entertainment Weekly

User Opinion: "The movie that launched thousands of journalism careers, should be required viewing honestly. Cast is so good it's ridiculous." - GiantCALBears

Reasoning: This is the movie everyone was comparing Spotlight to when it was receiving all of the raves over a year ago, and it's easy to see why.  All the President's Men boasts a tight ensemble and an fiery screenplay.  The movie is one of, if not the, best movies to ever be made about the free press, and with all of the criticism the press can get, it's a film that manages to display and celebrate on just why the press is so fundamentally to a thriving democracy.  The movie delves into a topic that could not have been more timely to provide commentary on for the time.  The movie most definitely deserved to have a BP win over Rocky in its year, it's a shame that it didn't get it.  Anyways, All the President's Men is a classic film that's more about the press than the politics going on within the film.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 7, 1970s: 9, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 12

pres91.jpg

• Like 4

Number 152

Whiplash (2014)

whiplash.jpg

"Not quite my tempo."

Most Valuable Player: J.K. Simmons Supporting Performance and the Editing

Box Office: 13.1m (13.8m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 94%

Notable Awards: Won 4 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Critic Opinion: "Whether your image of jazz is gleaned from Derek 'Spinal Tap' Smalls and his endless, aimless "jazz odyssey" or it brings to mind the cringeworthy blackface of Neil Diamond in The Jazz Singer, it's probably fair to say that the musical genre doesn't translate particularly well to film. Whiplash is different, because in Damien Chazelle's breakneck drummer drama, the music itself is almost incidental. It's a near flawless movie about the human condition and our drive for perfection: the obsession in question – jazz drumming – is unimportant. Thankfully, it just so happens that the soundtrack is tremendous, whether you enjoy jazz or merely tolerate it from the other side of walls." - Gray, Film4

User Opinion: "It's terrific. A conflict between teacher and student in a music school written, directed and edited as a thriller is a neat idea and it's fully developed and realized here. Fine character work (Teller isn't afraid to be a total jerk at times, Simmons is far from a one-dimensional monster) and the most powerful and emotionally draining ending of the year. Damien Chazelle is going to have a bright future." - Jake Gittes

Reasoning: Exhilarating.  Whiplash leaves you gasping for air in sections with the level of intensity it's able to invoke through the music, the tightly edited scenes, and J.K. Simmons' mesmerizing performance as a douchebag Jazz instructor.  The film moves at the perfect pace, and it keeps you engaged throughout the musical interludes, showing Chazelle's knack for being able to direct modern musicals.  Whiplash is a story of ambition and striving to achieve impossible expectations and commendation from those in authority above you.  The relationship between Teller and Simmons' characters is really quite memorable.  As somebody who's performed in a variety of college level ensembles, it's particularly relateable, even if my directors never reached quite the level of batshit crazy that Simmons caricatured in this movie.  A fantastic movie.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 7, 1970s: 9, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 13

c605e69e7b232581e39434dfd32e0527.jpg

• Like 5

Number 151

The Jungle Book (1967)

jungle_book.jpg

"You better believe it!"

Most Valuable Player: The Score and Soundtrack

Box Office: 73.7m (485.7m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 86%

Notable Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Synopsis: Bagheera the Panther and Baloo the Bear have a difficult time trying to convince a boy to leave the jungle for human civilization.

Critic Opinion: "I thought you were entertaining someone up there in your coils,' Shere Khan the Tiger purrs malevolently (with the unmistakable voice of George Sanders) as Kaa the Snake endeavours to squeeze Mowgli the Man Cub in his horrible clutches. This animated Disney feature based on Kipling, the last to be supervised by Big D himself, is chock-a-block with such shapely lines (with Baloo the dim-witted bear, voiced by Phil Harris, getting the best). It's also got great knockabout visual gags, mercifully little cutey-poo sentiment, and reasonable songs, including 'The Bare Necessities'. The animation has only the bare necessities, too, and the storyline is weak, but it doesn't seem to matter much." - Brown, Time Out

User Opinion: "I like to call this "Disney's Finest Hour" Really, Disney's final animated film has always been my favorite. Great songs, funny film, great voice acting. It all comes to this legend of a film. The Jungle Book, one of the greatest animated films in history." - Impact

Reasoning: Absolutely classic and endearing, a film that was made in the era where Walt Disney was still the major creative force behind all of the films put out by the studio.  The Jungle Book is a film I remember watching quite a bit as a child, inparticular because it was my mom's favorite movie (so she'd put it on quite a bit).  The music is some of the best in a Disney movie, Mowgli is a well-crafted Disney hero, and all of the characters have a long-lasting nature about them.  Maybe it feels a bit slow and not as grand as some of Disney's newer works, but it still manages to stand among the best of them.  If for some reason you haven't seen any Disney films, I'd say this is one of the Bare Necessities to watch from their vast filmography.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 9, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 13

• Like 3

Number 150

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

beasts-of-the-southern-wild-poster.jpg

"For the animals that didn't have a dad to put them in a boat, the end of the world already happened."

Most Valuable Player: Quvenzhane Wallis' Lead Performance and Zeihtlin's Score

Box Office: 12.8m (14.2m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 86%

Notable Awards: Nominated for 4 Oscars

Synopsis: Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love.

Critic Opinion: "The small budget was a blessing, because it freed the filmmakers to make a movie that doesn’t just ignore the usual rules: It invents its own grammar and style of storytelling. The plot of Beasts of the Southern Wild follows what happens when a Katrina-like storm hits the Bathtub, Hushpuppy’s dad is waylaid by illness, and the little girl is left to fend for herself. The tone is dreamy and poetic, but also grounded in grit and swamp mud. Zydeco music and Cajun culture are used for mood and flavor, and the film’s soul belongs to Louisiana. But the story — like all the best stories about children — could conceivably have been set anywhere, against any backdrop." - Rodriguez, Miami Herald

User Opinion: "Oh shit, this movie is fucking beautiful!" - CoolioD1

Reasoning: Painfully overlooked, Beasts of the Southern Wild is an absolute beaut of a film that manages to instill a sense of magic mixed with a dystopian aesthetic of realism.  Quvenzhane Wallis delivers potentially the best performance ever given by an actor of her age, or at least among the top of that list, as she weaves complicated thoughts with a childlike authenticity.  The score of the film is beautiful and easily one of the best of the decade.  This was the little indie film that managed to kick out Affleck from the Best Director nomination, and deservingly so.  Beasts of the Southern Wild is a movie that manages to show that some true gems really can come out of Sundance.  There's hints of modern politics and warnings of climate change throughout the fantasy and folksy like aspect of it all, and there's some real emotion buried throughout the film.  Wonderful movie.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 9, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 14

571.jpg

• Like 3

Number 149

Mad Max (1979)

mad-max-2.jpg?w=686&h=1024

"I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Most Valuable Player: George Miller's Direction

Box Office: 8.8m (28.1m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 90%

Notable Awards: None

Synopsis: In a self-destructing world, a vengeful Australian policeman sets out to stop a violent motorcycle gang.

Critic Opinion: "Mad Max is an all-stops-out, fast-moving exploitation pic in the tradition of New World/American International productions. The plot [from an original story by George Miller and Byron Kennedy] is extremely simple. A few years from now (opening title), the Australian countryside is terrorized by marauders who create mayhem on the roads. A crack police force opposes the villains." - Variety Staff (1979)

User Opinion: "Loved it. A classic thriller with great action. Good performance fron Mel Gibson who made his arrival at the international scene.
The gang was terrifying." - jb007

Reasoning: While the Mad Max movies only get better as you go through time (with the exception of Beyond Thunderdome), Mad Max is still a wildly entertaining action film that's a bit shocking to see how much Miller was able to accomplish with such a small budget.  It's frenetic, exciting and propels itself forward from the opening to the ending.  Mad Max really breaks some grounds when it comes to 70s action, and despite its simplicity, everything just simply works exactly as Miller intends it to.  Mad Max is boisterously loud and an example of how good filmmaking is done.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 10, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 14

0313766_2429_mc_tx360.jpg

• Like 3

Number 148

The Last Picture Show (1971)

The_Last_Picture_Show_(movie_poster).jpg

"If she was here I'd probably be just as crazy now as I was then in about 5 minutes. Ain't that ridiculous?... Naw, it ain't really. 'Cause being crazy about a woman like her is always the right thing to do."

Most Valuable Player: The Ensemble and Characterization

Box Office: 29.1m (152.7m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 100%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: In 1951, a group of high schoolers come of age in a bleak, isolated, atrophied West Texas town that is slowly dying, both culturally and economically.

Critic Opinion: "‘Gettin’ old, that’s what’s ridiculous.’ The different ways people become who they are – rich or poor, cultured or common, honest or treacherous, loving or hateful, sad or satisfied – were never more eloquently explored than in Peter Bogdanovich’s sweetly sorrowful second film. Adapted from Larry McMurtry’s knowingly nostalgic semi-autobiographical novel, it’s the tale of three Texas teens, played by then-unknowns Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms and Cybill Shepherd (pictured), whose journeys to adulthood involve death, disaster, ruined relationships, moments of joy and the slow realisation of life’s unfairness. It’s a masterpiece: filmed in sparkling monochrome, relentless in its emotional intensity and unfettered insight and packed with memorable characters, of whom Ben Johnson’s lovelorn, regretful cowboy sage Sam the Lion, quoted above, is perhaps the most iconic. The scene  where Sam imparts his wisdom to young buck Bottoms may be the saddest, loveliest moment in 1970s American cinema. And that’s saying something." - Huddleston, Time Out

User Opinion: None

Reasoning: Probably one of the most honest and sad coming-of-age films to have ever been made.  Living in Texas, there's still so much truth to the culture of the setting surrounding the film, as well as the situations the characters are placed in.  Beyond that, it's really the characters, and how honestly they're all portrayed, that elevates this movie to another status level.  The Last Picture Show is sure to have you let out a few tears in its sheer ability to create a truthful picture of life, death and growing up.  There's plenty of great dialogue and writing that gives the actors excellent material to use, and the film is more than competently made, but it really is the ensemble that makes this movie.  A subtle and gut-wrenching coming-of-age Western drama.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 14, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 14

b7d6f7c41b671eccab82e845e20335c6.jpg

• Like 3

After this film, there are 10 other animated movies that made my list...

Number 147

Mononoke-hime (1999)

Mononoke-hime_poster_goldposter_com_12.j

"Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed. But still, you find reasons to keep living."

Most Valuable Player: Hayao Miyazaki for Direction and Writing

Box Office: 2.4m (4m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 92%

Notable Awards: Rated #66 on IMDb Top 250

Synopsis: On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.

Critic Opinion: "True artistry in feature animation is so rare these days, because something usually gets sacrificed in the process. If lots of effort is expended in visual magic, the plot may suffer. Intricate stories may demand that the visuals take a back seat.  That's why Hayao Miyazaki's anime masterpiece "Princess Mononoke," Japan's most successful film, is such a treat. Beautifully constructed and painstakingly written, this is about as close to a perfect animated epic as you're likely to get." - McFarland, Seattle Times

User Opinion: "Pure magnificence. An epic undertaking that makes Lord of the Rings pale in comparison." - Jack Nevada

Reasoning: Grand and sweeping, Mononoke-hime (or Princess Mononoke) is an animated film put to an epic scale.  The score soars melodically with the film, and the hand-drawn animation is absolutely gorgeous, some of the best animation ever put to screen.  There's a mixture of mythology and adventure throughout the film, as well as a plethora of neat characters that really elevate the film to not just being a all-time great animated movie, but an all-time great movie.  Miyazaki delivers extraordinary work with this one, and the shocking part about it is somehow this isn't even his best, he's a director of incredibly tall heights.  The film has shades of grey and manages to be an epic that still stands tall and remembered.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 15, 2000s: 14, 2010s: 14

817d13bdee975f76d57dd7d20f93e06a.jpg

• Like 4

Number 146

Once (2007)

once.jpg

"During the daytime people would want to hear songs that they know, just songs that they recognize. I play these song at night or I wouldn't make any money. People wouldn't listen."

Most Valuable Player: The Soundtrack

Box Office: 9.4m (11.9m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 97%

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar

Synopsis: A modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week in Dublin, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story.

Critic Opinion: "So this is how you make a low-budget musical these days! Forget tap-dancing cellmates and ersatz girl groups. Just start with a bearded appliance repairman (Glen Hansard of the alt-rock band The Frames) who spends his Dublin-streetcorner nights strumming his guitar and singing songs about the woman who done him wrong. Bring on a sweet young thing (Czech singer/songwriter Marketa Irglova) who needs her vacuum repaired, and who happens to play piano. Mix in a little backstory about her life as an immigrant, round up a few street musicians and a studio technician, and before you can say, "Hey, let's record a CD," you've not only got one, but a lovely little musical romance to boot. John Carney's direction is so unobtrusive, and his story so endearing, that you barely notice how smart the film is about character and structure. It seems almost a found object — sweet and unassumingly authentic. " - Mondello, NPR

Reasoning: Two unnamed characters meet and move on with their lives in a folk-song musical, Once manages to breathe originality into the musical genre that John Carney was unable to truly do again with his follow-ups Begin Again and Sing Street.  The film is really told through the songs, and it manages to play out as if one of the movies from the Before trilogy happened to be a musical.  It's thoughtful, emotional and it ends on a bittersweet note that really swells over you as the credits begin to roll.  Once is a small, low budget movie that has some true beauty to it all.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 8, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 15, 2000s: 15, 2010s: 14

gallery25.jpg

• Like 2

Number 145

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

judgment-at-nuremberg-movie-poster-1961-

"We must forget if we want to go on living."

Most Valuable Player: Abby Mann for the Story and Screenplay

Box Office: N/A

Tomatometer: 90%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: In 1948, an American court in occupied Germany tries four Nazi judges for war crimes.

Critic Opinion: "With his reputation for tackling only Big Issues, the Holocaust had to be on Kramer's list of cinematic 'lest we should forget' achievements. That said, this assembly of star turns in the court - including token 'Germans' Dietrich and Schell, the latter collecting an Oscar for his efforts as the defence attorney - are often very impressive. Tracy puts in an effortlessly brilliant performance as the superjudge, and Clift as a confused Nazi victim is painfully convincing in his emotional disintegration. There are no surprises in the direction, and Abby Mann's screenplay plays the expected tunes, but there's enough conviction on display to reward a patient spectator." - Time Out

Reasoning: Judgment at Nuremberg is more than simply being a procedural piece on the trial of Nazi War Criminals, but an analysis on the relationship between victims and perpetrators, on what causes people in mass to do the unspeakable and how we reconcile with that.  Yes, this is quite a long movie, but there's quite a bit of rich characterization and powerful monologues weaved throughout the whole film.  This is one of the best movies about outsiders looking back at the happenings of the Holocaust and trying to figure out what to make of it, or in other words, a movie that depicted what the rest of the world was seeing that didn't go through the atrocity.  There's great acting in the movie, and some great technical work.  All in all, Judgment at Nuremberg is a fantastic film.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 9, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 15, 2000s: 15, 2010s: 14

daghq6bkgsw562o58.jpg

• Like 3

Number 144

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

The_nightmare_before_christmas_poster.jp

"Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!"

Most Valuable Player: Tim Burton's Vision and Danny Elfman's Score and Songs

Box Office: 50m (104.5m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 94%

Notable Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Synopsis: Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home cause confusion.

Critic Opinion: "Forget "Beetlejuice," forget "Edward Scissorhands" and (this shouldn't be too difficult) forget "Batman Returns." "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" is the movie this decidedly quirky filmmaker was fated to make. Part avant-garde art film, part amusing but morbid fairy tale, it is a delightfully ghoulish holiday musical that displays more inventiveness in its brief 75 minutes than some studios can manage in an entire year." - Turan, LA Times

User Opinion: "The thing that I love the most about this movie is that despite the gothic atmosphere and the spooky character character designs it remains a simple engrossing fairy tale till the end. It never tries to be dark or edgy for the sake of it and that's the reason it went from a "not worthy of the Disney logo" animation to bonafide classic (all that merchandise money also helped Disney reconsider).  The other great part about this is movie is the amazing soundtrack. This is Halloween is obv the most famous and it's great, but I love the song when Jack discovers Christmastown even more. The whole sequence is so full of joy." - Joel M

Reasoning: The Nightmare Before Christmas is a Holiday classic that I watch at least twice a year, once around Halloween and once around Christmas, and it tops the list as Burton's best film by quite a margin.  I know the words to probably every song in the musical by heart, the characters are creative and memorable, and the entire aesthetic that reeks of joy, haunts and originality.  The stop-motion animation also holds up particularly well, due to its style, and it's still a visual marvel to look at today.  The contrast between the Christmas town environment, the Earth environment and Halloweentown are fun as well, as is the whole kidnapping Santa Clause plot element.  This is a movie everyone can love and appreciate.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 9, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 15, 2010s: 14

Picture+62.png

• Like 2

Now for me to reveal the best comic book movie of all-time... What am I truly a fanboy of?  Nolan's Dark Knight?  MCU?  Howard the Duck?  SUICIDE SQUAD??

Spoiler

NOPE, NONE OF THE ABOVE!  X GON' GIVE IT TO YA

NUMBER 143

DEADPOOL (2016)

deadpool_ver9_xxlg.jpg

"Time to make the chimi-fuckin'-changas."

Most Valuable Player: Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

Box Office: 363.1m (365.8m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 84%

Notable Awards: PGA, WGA AND EDDIE NODS, PLUS NOMINATED FOR THE GOLDEN GLOBE FOR BEST COMEDY/MUSICAL and BEST ACTOR

Synopsis: A fast-talking mercenary with a morbid sense of humor is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers and a quest for revenge.

Critic Opinion: "Deadpool is what Spider-man should have been. He was the smartest, fastest and funniest of the Marvel stable, but the humor never made it to the big screen in either version.  Deadpool does.  This is the rare movie where you wish you’d been a fly on the wall when it was written. Writers Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick (Zombieland) and Miller start with the funniest opening credits in history and keep up the comic pace through Reynolds’ ending outtake. Pay attention. You won’t want to miss a single line." - Wolcott, Tri-City Herald

User Opinion: "Finally saw it a second time and liked it even more the second time.  I didn't get the visual joke the first time when Deadpool uses the dead bodies to spell out Francis.  I also laughed more at the joke about Ryan Reynolds not getting by on his acting alone.  

This is one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen and imo, it's up there with TDK and Avengers as the best super hero film ever made.

Reasoning: The best superhero movie ever made, Deadpool isn't only the best comic book movie, it's simply a perfect movie (for what it's trying to be).  There is not a single flaw in this film.  None.  If you try to name one to me I will fanrage at you and tell you you're wrong.  There is no way they could have been a better Deadpool movie than this one.  The film is briskly paced, it turns the cliche of the overdone superhero origin story and make it hilarious.  It's gutsy, it's bold, it has a clear vision and it's an absolute wonder that it was made.  I only see this movie climbing up my list over time, maybe in a few years it'll even be in my top 100!  Honestly though, they should just quit making comic book movies now because there's no way they'll be able to top this one.

Decade Count: 1930s: 6, 1940s: 7, 1950s: 4, 1960s: 9, 1970s: 11, 1980s: 22, 1990s: 16, 2000s: 15, 2010s: 15

deadpool-movie-image.jpg

• Like 4