chasmmi

Chasmmi's Top 90 films of 2016 - It is finally here!!! The world is going wild.

Spoiler

29th - Ratchet and Clank - 91/100

So it comes to this does it? The best video game film of 2016 was somehow Ratchet and Fucking Clank

Hell, there is even scope to suggest that this is actually the greatest video game film of all time (things like Wreck it Ralph don't count). i'm not even lying. The mixture of the fact that no video game film is good and this film is good, kind of make it true. 

This film is so much fun. The humour is great and the jokes are consistent and unexpected. There were more than a few that made me laugh out loud (Wilhelm!!). It is so tongue in cheek and aware of what it is that I couldn't help but love this. 

This will go down as a super underrated animated film years from now. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

28th - Batman Vs Superman - 91/100

Yeah I liked it! Wanna do something about it. 

Yes there are flaws in this film, and the reconciliation of Supes and Bats is stupid, but there is a lot that this film did right. Batman is amazing, possibly the best Batman has ever been. Affleck is so good in this role and its so disappointing what seems to have happened since. Wonder Woman too is eminently watchable in this.

I wish Lex Luthor had been better and that Superman was given more to do. But overall I had a lot of fun with this and if it had ended 45 seconds earlier, I may have liked it even more.

• Like 4

Spoiler

27th - Lights Out - 91/100

There was some interesting horror in 2016 at least.

This was a really good elongation of an amazing horror short. It suffered a little from all of the good scares being in the trailer and thus not being a surprise in the film. But overall, this film  had a fresh concept in a time when it is hard to have fresh concept. It uses its budget really well and has a lot of good performances, so I expect most fans of the genre should enjoy this. 

I know I did. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

26th - Star Trek Beyond - 92/100

Sorry @MrPink, I couldn't place this any higher.

But 26th is still good for what to me is the 3rd  best Star Trek film (behind First Contact and Star Trek 0... I want to say... 9?). It does something different from the expected, bringing in new characters and having more of the main cast actually have something to do.

This was another film of 2016 that suffered from 'horrible traileritis', but it turned out that the film underneath was actually a really well developed summer spectacle in a  summer that was not exactly overloaded with them.

Good Job Star Trek   

• Like 6

Spoiler

25th - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 92/100

Better late than never...

The original is a great fun comedy that surprises everyone in both quality and box office. This sequel in my opinion is more of the same in that regard (quality not BO). The original cast is back and some people have aged better that others. However, the film we got was another film with heart and soul and a lot of innocent fun.

I know I am in a minority here, so I will stop and just accept that you are all wrong :)

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, chasmmi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

:huh:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chasmmi said:
  Hide contents

26th - Star Trek Beyond - 92/100

Sorry @MrPink, I couldn't place this any higher.

But 26th is still good for what to me is the 3rd  best Star Trek film (behind First Contact and Star Trek 0... I want to say... 9?). It does something different from the expected, bringing in new characters and having more of the main cast actually have something to do.

This was another film of 2016 that suffered from 'horrible traileritis', but it turned out that the film underneath was actually a really well developed summer spectacle in a  summer that was not exactly overloaded with them.

Good Job Star Trek   

:WHATanabe:

Spoiler

24th - Suicide Squad - 92/100

Yeah, you are reading that right :)

First things first, yes this film is very flawed from a story standpoint. The team does not make sense, the villain is ridiculous (and Batman didn't think an ancient evil trying to destory the world was worth his time?) and I was not a big fan of the joker.

However, the actual Squad itself are great. Smith, Robbie and Courtney especially are excellent in this and I really hope to see them all again in this universe. With the right concept (like I dunno, maybe getting them to go and try to kill The Joker??) a sequel to this could be incredible (especially if Gibson gets involved). 

On any given day, if I am given the choice between having a lot of fun in the cinema, or seeing the accomplished well made but lacking a bit of entertainment value film. I will pick the enjoyable one every time, and this was a film that 90% of the time, I really enjoyed. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

23rd - Don't Breath - 93/100

My number one horror of the year comes in at 23rd.

I don't have a lot to say about this except that like with a lot of the good low budget horrors of recent times, this film is entertaining, uses its budgetary restrictions to full effect and has a style to it that creates something that feels so much more than a $10M film.

This film has some legitimately great moments and is a horror that offers something genuinely new.

• Like 3

Spoiler

22nd - Race - 93/100

A Biopic that went criminally under the radar. 

Jesse Owens is an amazing true story, which puts this film at an advantage before it starts. However, this film also backs up the great true story with a great drama with good performances that does a really good job of highlighting everything that Owens was up against both home and abroad. 

I do wander how many people saw this film as I didn't see it appear on any list at all to my knowledge which is a shame. Maybe I got swept up in the reality behind the film and thus was blind to the flaws on display in front of me, but at the end of the day, I think this was one of the best Biopics of last year. (I think I  may still have three more to come on this list).  

• Like 4

Spoiler

21st - Yoga Hosers - 93/100

Johnny Depp's daughter is better entertainment than he is right now.

I love Kevin Smith films. However, me being me, my favourites are the ones that most others consider weaker installments. (My top 5 would be: 1. Dogma 2. Chasing Amy 3. Mallrats 4. Jersey Girl 5. Zack and Miri). Yoga Hosers is another Smith film that I really had so much fun watching. It is so stupid, that for me it traverses into greatness. 

This is I think my 4th best pure comedy of last year and I just had a lot of fun being a part of Smith's silly indulgence into films that should never exist but somehow do. It is also the most fun I have had watching Depp since maybe the first Pirates. 

Make no mistake this is a stupid film and most will likely dislike it. But I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, chasmmi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

:ohmygod: 

• Like 2