commonsense88

Monday numbers Logan 7.15

If Get Out reaches 200m it would become one of my favorite BO runs of the last years. I've missed this kind of run, a really small movie that people loves and goes on and on and on. My Big Fat Greek Wedding-lite.

• Like 6

I feel good about Logan going into the second weekend vs Kong.

While it's third weekend will be BatB and some significant drops are usually seen at this point for majority of films I think BatB is going to hit even harder. 

Hopefully not hard enough to kill off a $200m+ finish. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

50 Shades is kind of underrated. Great legs for a 9% movie. 

I think legs on the first 50 Shades were deflated by the fact that its opening weekend was Valentine's Day Weekend were the aforementioned holiday was a Saturday, inflating that number accordingly, which in turn made that weekend President's Day Weekend as well, inflating its Sunday number accordingly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

While it's third weekend will be BatB and some significant drops are usually seen at this point for majority of films I think BatB is going to hit even harder. 

I don't think BATB is going to be direct competition for it. There isn't necessarily audience overlap here, unlike Origins which opened as high and, in addition to sucking, had the likes of ST09, Angels and Demons, and Terminator Salvation open in the following weeks.

Edited by Jay Beezy

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm in line for Kong for an advance screening right now.

I'll let you know if it will have buzz or not.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I don't think BATB is going to be direct competition for it. There isn't necessarily audience overlap here, unlike Origins which opened as high and, in addition to sucking, had the likes of ST09, Angels and Demons, and Terminator Salvation open in the following weeks.

I don't think audience overlap will be the problem but if BATB is a 150+ mil beast, sold out shows mean theaters going to cancel other movie show times and give them to BATB.

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

I think legs on the first 50 Shades were deflated by the fact that its opening weekend was Valentine's Day Weekend were the aforementioned holiday was a Saturday, inflating that number accordingly, which in turn made that weekend President's Day Weekend as well, inflating its Sunday number accordingly.

I see. Makes sense! :)

12 hours ago, baumer said:

Not really though.  I think the second weekend drop or even third weekend drop is more indicative.

Obviously, the more data we have, the more accurate we will be. But it's possible to extrapolate a 2nd weekend drop while looking at the increases/drops of Tue/Wed

If Logan manages to stay over 5.5M this Wednesday, it really bodes well for a 40-42M second weekend.