baumer

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Grade it  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It is a silly nitpick but I find that your justification to be sillier. I don't see the need to bend over backwards for the movie to explain something that doesn't really need to be explained.

'Bending over backwards' would rather imply it took me more than half a second to think of an explanation after hearing that complaint.

Edited by rukaio101

I'll probably write up a longer review of everything wrong with this car crash at a later date but one thing I can't get over is the mind numbingly stupid decision to try to merge Puppet Master and Kuze. Two entirely different villains with entirely different purposes, motivations, and characterizations just ends up with the weird mess we got in this movie despite Michael Piett doing his best here. It's especially odd because "Kuze" doesn't really do much of anything here besides operate as a walking talking exposition-providing plot device. Though that's partly because Hanka Robotics is a black hole of uninteresting stereotypical "EEEEEVIL company" cliches wrapped up into one, "Kuze" is a victim of this and ends up doing nothing of much note besides starting the plot.

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

I'll probably write up a longer review of everything wrong with this car crash at a later date but one thing I can't get over is the mind numbingly stupid decision to try to merge Puppet Master and Kuze. Two entirely different villains with entirely different purposes, motivations, and characterizations just ends up with the weird mess we got in this movie despite Michael Piett doing his best here. It's especially odd because "Kuze" doesn't really do much of anything here besides operate as a walking talking exposition-providing plot device. Though that's partly because Hanka Robotics is a black hole of uninteresting stereotypical "EEEEEVIL company" cliches wrapped up into one, "Kuze" is a victim of this and ends up doing nothing of much note besides starting the plot.

I think this is a case where you're too attached to the original material. I'm not and it didn't seem that big of a deal to me. Of the various issues the movie has, that wouldn't be a significant one for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, Telerian said:

I think this is a case where you're too attached to the original material. I'm not and it didn't seem that big of a deal to me. Of the various issues the movie has, that wouldn't be a significant one for me. 

To me it's just a waste of great potential for both characters. Kuze would've been much more interesting as the revolutionary Messiah figure, while Puppet Master would've fit this narrative better. Trying to have your cake and eat it too is my big issue with GiTS 2017's "Kuze"

6 hours ago, Telerian said:

I wonder if the filmmakers realized that one of the few pieces of subtext in the movie was making themselves the villains. Because they are very much the Hamsa Corporation and GITS (the original) is Mokoto. 

I genuinely wonder about that. It's interesting, despite how much I dislike it, I do think that this movie is a great conversation piece.

• Like 1

Reading some of these comments, I feel like I watched a different movie then half of these people. I thought it was visually gorgeous and inventive, the writing seemed solid, and emotional if not completly original. the acting I felt was vey good, and the action was great, probably the most underated film I've seen in a long time. A-

Ghost in the Shell is an embarrassment. With forgettable action, terrible acting, and a discount Blade Runner aesthetic, it totally desecrates the source material by changing it to a generic sci-fi blockbuster. Scarlett Johansson should've never been cast in this, and she does a horrible job even if it would've been okay. The production design and makeup is interesting at points, but that's about it. Worst of all is how the film feels the need to justify its whitewashing, which insults anyone involved with the making of the original anime and shows a massive lack of understanding of both culture and the source material. Ghost in the Shell is trash with few redeeming qualities. This is a film that should not exist in this form, and one that is an insult to everyone involved with this production or the original film. Awful. D-