baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

@TalismanRing....I see you are catching up on the thread.  Thanks for reading. :)

And... I made it to the current last page.  Great work Baumer.

A couple of takeaways from more recent posts

Jodie Foster was a star well before Silence of The Lambs.  Not only had she won a Best Actress Oscar for The Accused 3 years earlier, she was a child star spanning the likes of Freaky Friday to Taxi Driver. The later of which caught the eye and obsession of John Hinckley who tried to assassinate President Reagan to woo her.

Williams should have kissed Disney's feet for making everyone realize he was the Genie and making everyone forget the terrible Toys ever existed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

And... I made it to the current last page.  Great work Baumer.

A couple of takeaways from more recent posts

Jodie Foster was a star well before Silence of The Lambs.  Not only had she won a Best Actress Oscar for The Accused 3 years earlier, she was a child star spanning the likes of Freaky Friday to Taxi Driver. The later of which caught the eye and obsession of John Hinckley who tried to assassinate President Reagan to woo her.

Williams should have kissed Disney's feet for making everyone realize he was the Genie and making everyone forget the terrible Toys ever existed

What did I say about Foster?  Did I make it out to be that she was an unknown?  If so, that's my mistake.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And thanks for reading and the kind words.

@TalismanRing  I think you are referring to this:

Both Foster and Hopkins had been around for about 15 years but it wasn't until this film that they became giants in the industry.

I stand by this.  Yes, she had won an Oscar but that didn't make her a giant.  She still struggled to get roles.  And before Silence, she hadn't been in any film that made more than 32 million dollars and even though she had won the Oscar for the Accused, there were five actresses that Demme wanted before he settled on her.  Silence changed all that.  So imo, that statement is correct.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Victor Fleming directed Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind at the same time.  Beat that Spielberg. B)

Considering the era I'm not sure it beat it, Flemming was the third director on wizard of Oz the previous having been fired and he left that production before the end to replace a director that was fired on Gone With the Wind (that he left by moment because of exhaustion).

And it is a producer that directed the long reshoot on wizard of Oz.

He was the main but not only director on Gone with the wind, the 3 director shooting days:

Cukor:18

Wood: 24

Fleming: 93

I'm not sure he was involved and in control at a Speilberg level in pre (obviously not in pre production being a replacement director)/post production nor even involved during the full length of the actual production of those 2 movie.

Troubled production, 1,2,3 director being fired, test screening going terribly and the movie changing a lot, 3 month of re-shoot's, those were the nice days.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

He was the main but not only director on Gone with the wind, the 3 director shooting days:

Cukor:18

Wood: 24

Fleming: 93

The equivalent today would be hiring Peter Jackson to make EPISODE 9, then replacing him with James Cameron, then having Jon Favreau cover for him while Cameron had to recover, then having Cameron come back.

And then having the movie make $2b domestically and win 11 Oscars.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The equivalent today would be hiring Peter Jackson to make EPISODE 9, then replacing him with James Cameron, then having Jon Favreau cover for him while Cameron had to recover, then having Cameron come back.

And then having the movie make $2b domestically and win 11 Oscars.

Big shoot director were really just studio employee in Hollywood (maybe not like the guy recording sound but really not anything close to today), could you imagine firing a Peter Jackson today.... and a Cameron accepting to be an hired director on a movie already started after studio fired someone of Jackson stature....

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

If we want to go by technicality, 3 people did shoot Han Solo :ph34r: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

So, in other words, spielberg has the best year as a director in the history of cinema.

In term of movie released the same year, arguably, but

1974 Coppola, Godfather 2 + The Conversation, is hard to beat.

John Ford was making so much movies that I imagine one of is year's could be in contention also.

In the same 1974, Mel Brook released both Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles too, big year for dual release of the same director.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

So, in other words, spielberg has the best year as a director in the history of cinema.

I'm comfortable saying that.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

1974 Coppola, Godfather 2 + The Conversation, is hard to beat and up there.

John Ford was making so much movies that some year's would be there too I imagine

Those aren't even close, imo.  Those are great films but they don't have nearly the box office that Jurassic Park did.  1993 was a towering achievement in that Spielberg made the highest grossing film of all time and won best director and best picture and made one of the unanimously agreed upon great movies of all time.  John Ford and Coppola are not anywhere near that conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

1974 Coppola, Godfather 2 + The Conversation, is hard to beat and up there.

John Ford was making so much movies that some year's would be there too I imagine

Ford had two years that could realistically be in the conversation, and they were back-to-back, no less.

In 1939, he directed STAGECOACH, YOUNG MR. LINCOLN, and DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK. All three were nominated for a slew of Oscars.

In 1940, he directed GRAPES OF WRATH and THE LONG VOYAGE HOME.