baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Can we take a minute to appreciate Groundhog Day?  It's one of the greatest movies of all time for me.  I find it absolutely hilarious, entertaining, and I must've seen it at least 7 times by now.  It's fucking fantastic.

I agree. Ramis wrote and directed one of the finest films ever....imo

• Like 2

As other posters have said, 1993 was a very good year for big and small movies. Here's some quick notes of movies that stood out for me:

Tombstone - There was a rush between this movie and Kevin Costner’s Wyatt Earp to get released first.  Tombstone was first and the superior movie.

True Romance - One of my favorite movies in the early 90's.  This made me pay attention to Quentin Tarantino even though he was just involved with the screenplay.  I became a Gary Oldman fanboy from this movie.  How has Oldman not won an Oscar yet???  

Sister Act 2 - I recently rewatched it for the first time since 1993.  I remember enjoying it back then but it didn't hold up very well. This was a huge decline from the first movie box office wise (136M to 57M).  Enjoyed Lauren Hill’s (before the Fugees) performance in it though.

Demolition Man - Being a Sly Stallone and Wesley Snipes fanboy at the time.  I remember being hyped with the movie's potential.  The movie ended up being alright, didn't live up to the hype.

Menace II Society - Another one of my favorites from the early 90's.  In my opinion, it's on par with Boyz in the Hood. It's held up well over the years.  

Jason Goes to Hell - Maybe one of the worst horror movies I've ever been.  Do not remember a thing about it.

Poetic Justice – There was some hype with being John Singleton's follow-up to Boyz in the Hood.  I think it was a solid effort but audiences were generally let down.  Also, Janet Jackson is a very bad actress.

The Crush - This movie is a very fun and cheesy.   It's crazy that Alicia Silverstone didn't have much of a career after Batman and Robin.  

What's Love Got to Do with It - This movie did that All Eyez on me failed to do. Make a biographical movie that is engaging with great performances from Larry Fishburne and Angela Bassett as Ike and Tina Turner
Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ProtoMan said:

As other posters have said, 1993 was a very good year for big and small movies. Here's some quick notes of movies that stood out for me:

Tombstone - There was a rush between this movie and Kevin Costner’s Wyatt Earp to get released first.  Tombstone was first and the superior movie.

True Romance - One of my favorite movies in the early 90's.  This made me pay attention to Quentin Tarantino even though he was just involved with the screenplay.  I became a Gary Oldman fanboy from this movie.  How has Oldman not won an Oscar yet???  

Sister Act 2 - I recently rewatched it for the first time since 1993.  I remember enjoying it back then but it didn't hold up very well. This was a huge decline from the first movie box office wise (136M to 57M).  Enjoyed Lauren Hill’s (before the Fugees) performance in it though.

Demolition Man - Being a Sly Stallone and Wesley Snipes fanboy at the time.  I remember being hyped with the movie's potential.  The movie ended up being alright, didn't live up to the hype.

Menace II Society - Another one of my favorites from the early 90's.  In my opinion, it's on par with Boyz in the Hood. It's held up well over the years.  

Jason Goes to Hell - Maybe one of the worst horror movies I've ever been.  Do not remember a thing about it.

Poetic Justice – There was some hype with being John Singleton's follow-up to Boyz in the Hood.  I think it was a solid effort but audiences were generally let down.  Also, Janet Jackson is a very bad actress.

The Crush - This movie is a very fun and cheesy.   It's crazy that Alicia Silverstone didn't have much of a career after Batman and Robin.  

What's Love Got to Do with It - This movie did that All Eyez on me failed to do. Make a biographical movie that is engaging with great performances from Larry Fishburne and Angela Bassett as Ike and Tina Turner

Jason Goes To Hell was a good movie. Oh well to each their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Very curious about your thoughts on Speed and True Lies, Baumer

Two of my faves.

I am on my way to see Apes and then I will be home a little bit later and finish up 1994. I have it about halfway done right now

• Like 1

As I've mentioned.....I can't cover every film from a particular year.  I will hit the top ten and then pick a few films worth mentioning from my perspective......but I just thought of something kind of interesting.....I can start taking requests.  There's not that many of you who read this thread, so I should be able to honour a few requests.  Let's say I can do 3 extra films per year.....first come first serve.  So if you want me to cover something, mention it here.....but don't go more than 3 years in advance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

As I've mentioned.....I can't cover every film from a particular year.  I will hit the top ten and then pick a few films worth mentioning from my perspective......but I just thought of something kind of interesting.....I can start taking requests.  There's not that many of you who read this thread, so I should be able to honour a few requests.  Let's say I can do 3 extra films per year.....first come first serve.  So if you want me to cover something, mention it here.....but don't go more than 3 years in advance.

Fantastic idea Baumer! I request Léon: The Professional (1994) and From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) :)

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

In no particular order:

Any Disney animated film

The Full Monty

Goldeneye

Babe 

Showgirls 

Uh no....come on guys.....you get one each. 

• Like 1

Oh shit, I forgot that What's Love...? was in '93. A fantastic movie that is still relevant today. 

I imported the Australian bluray around Christmas last year since it appears that Disney has stopped releasing their Touchstone films stateside.

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Showgirls would be an interesting one to cover given it bombed at the box office but was a hit on home video

It's a LEGENDARY LGBT cult film too. Try to find a drag show that doesn't quote it. TRY.

• Like 1