Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: BOM || Happy Death Day: $26.5M || Blade Runner: $15.1M || The Foreigner: $12.8M || IT: $6M || Annabelle: Creation at $300m WW

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This year is a much better Oscar race than usual in part because it's been a really terrific year for movies IMO. The more I think about it the more I think 2016 was one of the weaker years in ages for movies.

Too bad Best Actor looks so lame. Gary Oldman walking to the win for what looks like hammy ass crap is a mortal lock at this point unless Phantom Thread is much more accessible than expected. Stop glorifying Winston Churchill with 20 fucking things this year!

I mean it's  not like there aren't  (likely) more interesting performance for them to chose from they just won't because you know they're boring as hell

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

So @Squadron Leader Tele watched My Little Pony and just messaged in the Whatsapp group saying he liked it and it was better than Captain Underpants. I think we witnessed the birth of a brony.

So after all these suggestions to see Blade Runner and mother!........ he sees My Little Pony.

mindblown.pngmartin3.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

people said this around this time in whatever year it was the artist won everything but by january it was all so obvious.

This is true, but 2011 also had alot of movies people thought were winners that didn't show until the very end of the year (War Horse, Incredibly Dumb and Extremely Whatever, We Bought a Zoo somehow, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo). This year we're really only waiting on the Post unless you're crazy enough to fall for a Ridley Scott movie.

The Artist and Descendants looked like a fight but they just went for the Artist all the way. I don't see what they would coalesce around this year unless Call Me By Your Name proves more accessible than expected or people just go all the way with Dunkirk, which seems unlikely. Shape and Three Billboards are strong don't seem to quite have the kind of love that makes them a unanimous sweepo.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean it's  not like there aren't  (likely) more interesting performance for them to chose from they just won't because you know they're boring as hell

Oh, of course. I would give Channing Tatum an Oscar nom for Logan Lucky, but that's not happening. Still, I didn't even love Stronger but Gyllenhaal was terrific, would much rather see him than Oldman.

• Thanks 1

i didn't love the big sick like other people. to me the performances of holly hunter and ray romano are the only thing elevating it above a typical apatow flick they're both amazing. i'd root for nanjiani and emily gordon to get a screenplay nomination though. i used to listen to their podcast years ago. before he was on silicon valley even lol. been happy to see him blow up this year.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

This is true, but 2011 also had alot of movies people thought were winners that didn't show until the very end of the year (War Horse, Incredibly Dumb and Extremely Whatever, We Bought a Zoo somehow, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo). This year we're really only waiting on the Post unless you're crazy enough to fall for a Ridley Scott movie.

The Artist and Descendants looked like a fight but they just went for the Artist all the way. I don't see what they would coalesce around this year unless Call Me By Your Name proves more accessible than expected or people just go all the way with Dunkirk, which seems unlikely. Shape and Three Billboards are strong don't seem to quite have the kind of love that makes them a unanimous sweepo.

tumblr_inline_mkjljgQpPx1rf2nk8.gif

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't love the big sick like other people. to me the performances of holly hunter and ray romano are the only thing elevating it above a typical apatow flick they're both amazing. i'd root for nanjiani and emily gordon to get a screenplay nomination though. i used to listen to their podcast years ago. before he was on silicon valley even lol. been happy to see him blow up this year.

I'm super mad Ray Romano isn't getting more recognition. He had the best lines in the movie :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think 2016 was a solid year for film. The blockbuster offerings sucked for the most part, but there were some great smaller films I'd put in contention for best of the decade.

My two favorites were Moonlight and La La Land, and I'd put four movies from this year already ahead of both of those. Each their own, though.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh, of course. I would give Channing Tatum an Oscar nom for Logan Lucky, but that's not happening. Still, I didn't even love Stronger but Gyllenhaal was terrific, would much rather see him than Oldman.

kumail is honestly my favorite leading performance of.the year so far

• Like 1