baumer

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Grade it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Could have be being a bit tired, but below passing grade for me and challenging to not feel asleep during. Could also be that I had an hard time accepting someone else and in a different language that I was used too for Poirot.

I do not remember if I ever had seen the movie/tv-movie/something about the "twist" but I started to think that the twist could be that there is just one killer, a misdirection, around 65% in the movie because of how big it was played by moment.

The kill me moment felt a bit out of character with how much Poirot love himself and a bit over the top cheesy.

Other than that, some of the production felt like it was cgi composition ? Otherwise it had some really nice shot and they did try to make the train setting interesting, the long "one take", the from the sky sequence. Overall good production value.

Depp was good and a good choice, good use of starpowers that even if the character disappear early stay easily in the viewer memory, Branagh was solid accent wise rest of the cast didn't impress much but some had really hard over the top stuff to sell. Felt mostly mediocre, below the passing grade, D

MoToE was a good movie but it had its shortcomings here and there.

The first half races with a good mix of suspense, thrill and humor.

The second half falls flat and screenplay becomes slow.

Overall the movie has its moments visually great must watch in theater for these kind of glossy stuffs. 

Plot is tight but story could have been better and crisper. Nevertheless worth watching in theater.

Casting was great no doubt in that. Never knew Kenneth Branagh was a good actor. 

6.5/10

Branagh plays this SOOOOO well. It such an easy role to loose, tonally miss or be over the top yet somehow he knew exactly how far to take it. Very impressed. 

Visually 65mm looked soooo good. Love that film. Solid score too, was really happy with it. 

B (85)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

Murder on the Orient Express is a fun time at the theater. Seeing Branagh anchor a movie like this is an enjoyable throwback, and his direction remains solid as ever. Honestly, the blockbuster elements are the best aspect, since it's so rare we get a movie with this classical tone with this big a budget. The cast is all game for the proceedings, with Pfeiffer and Ridley being the highlights, but none of them really falter. Even Depp isn't awful for his brief screentime. The production design is lovely, along with the costumes and makeup. It's just that the film never rises above its pulpy source material, and at points, just feels pedestrian. Still, Murder on the Orient Express is a perfectly enjoyable excursion to the theater, and an easy way to spend a couple hours. C+