baumer

The Post (2017)

Grade it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very gripping and very much relevant today with Trump and his ongoing war on the press happening. It's also top-tier Spielberg, showing off his undeniable ability of telling compelling stories through a polished lens. And of course, the cast featuring no shortage of talent is strong across the board, with Meryl Streep (giving easily her best performance since Julie & Julia IMO) and Tom Hanks delivering the kind of top-notch work we expect nothing less of from them at this point. This would actually make very worthy double feature with Spotlight. A

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Also, that was good 'ol Spielberg teasing his remake of All the President's Men.  Glad they didn't make it a post credits stinger, Marvel would've definitely just put it there.

If he's gonna make it, perhaps I'd feel better about it. As is, it feels like this too on the nose reference to something that is tangentially related to the story that was being told.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't think he's actually gonna do it, more that the scene feels more like sequel baiting rather than a quick nod/allusion

Edited by MrPink

I loved the bridge to Watergate at the end.

Only thing that stood out to me as being off was that opening scene in Vietnam (which felt out of place considering the rest of the movie) but it worked as a nice showcase little showcase for Spielberg's impeccable directing abilities.

12 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

...but it wasn't tangential to the theme.

Which I think the story was already sufficient in making its point. I don't think alluding to Watergate is bad in itself, but ending it on a depiction of the actual break in just struck me as off.

Edited by MrPink