somebody85

Screeners

This seems to be a hot topic of debate everytime awards season rolls around and this year looks no different. Look I don't mind going to the theaters to see some of these films (even driving way out of the way to see the limited releases) but I know a lot of other people are not going to do that and are going to settle for what's out there.

Therefore films like The Shape Of Water and Coco are being viewed by tens of thousands in a format that doesn't do them near justice. Most people only watch a film once, so that's a shame.

It seems like there should be a new system in place because there is a demand for these films (maybe not for like the bigger stuff - Coco, TLJ) but the others. It seems like Hollywood would benefit from some sort of streaming package plan and offer these films like Spotify and Google Play offers music. Yes they would still inevitably be ripped and end up at the usual places but that happens with most music releases too and people are still willing to pay for Spotify/Google Play. That hasn't effected their sales that much.

Every year I see SAG members and other Hollywood press exclusive bragging about watching screeners all over Twitter and lending them out to friends, etc. But to me, that doesn't really seem fair to everyone else. Yes SAG pays a membership fee to get them but why couldn't that apply to people outside of that organization for some of these films? And to be fair, I have gotten physical screeners before because I know someone who is a SAG member and it just bothers me to see the quality of the rips online compared to the actual physical copies. 

It's usually a huge drop off visually and if audiences are going to watch films like The Shape Of Water once....then that sucks.

I'm sure many would be willing to pay for something like this instead of downloading them. The profits would obviously go towards all of these studios like A24 and Fox Searchlight.

Ladybird had two showings at one of my main local theaters 2 weeks ago and I live in a big city with multiple theaters. In a lot of cases, there's no choice either if you want to see them as soon as possible, because theaters are packed with the mainstream releases.

With Netflix and Amazon starting to really blow up, now seems like a good time for something to change and I feel like a lot of people would be up for it.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you want studios to stream the movies legally in a good quality instead of the crap quality screeners that come out, so people who were never going to pay might be tempted otherwise?

Eh, sure, especially for people like me who might get 3/7 BP noms in their town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

But to me, that doesn't really seem fair to everyone else.

But fairness has nothing to do with it. The studios do this because they want to push for awards, not because they're trying to reach an audience that might not otherwise see something. What you're describing is basically the end of theatrical viewing for anything other than giant tentpoles... which might happen but I certainly hope not.

• Like 1

It is not an easy trade off and studios are not the only player's involved, and is always there for most movies.

1) Theater would refuse to have studio stream movie they play in regular theater under regular term, I imagine they would need to struck a deal with theater chain to not hit the retention rate and what not too hard if those movies would be on VOD (or studios netflix competition to come up or already there)

2) Even with a not so bad deal, it would hurt theater sales the only way studio make people pay by people instead of for a group, would probably require the VOD to be quite expensive to make up for it and a lot of people would still get the screener's/watch a stream instead to save money.

I imagine that yes, studio want to make those movie available as soon as possible absolutely everywhere, but every windows will fight them to keep the exclusivity they got and studio know that in general and over the long run it is best for them to respect that theatrical windows, it is in good part what make movie event and new movie perceived as more valuable that easy to get/available everywhere older movies.

30 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

But fairness has nothing to do with it. The studios do this because they want to push for awards, not because they're trying to reach an audience that might not otherwise see something. What you're describing is basically the end of theatrical viewing for anything other than giant tentpoles... which might happen but I certainly hope not.

I don't know about other people, but when I go to the cinema, I want a cinematic experience....

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

It seems like there should be a new system in place because there is a demand for these films (maybe not for like the bigger stuff - Coco, TLJ) but the others. It seems like Hollywood would benefit from some sort of streaming package plan and offer these films like Spotify and Google Play offers music.

So basically netflix?

Screeners are DVDs.  This is what this thread is about?  

Yeah, this is why I don’t watch them.  These movies deserve better.  I deserve better.

somebody85 for President (of the academy)

Edited by kowhite

22 hours ago, Morieris said:

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you want studios to stream the movies legally in a good quality instead of the crap quality screeners that come out, so people who were never going to pay might be tempted otherwise?

Eh, sure, especially for people like me who might get 3/7 BP noms in their town.

No, I think it would benefit those studios to charge for some package to stream those movies. It wouldn't be free. It would be like Spotify or Google Play. 

21 hours ago, Just Tele said:

I know it doesn't but it does turn into that sort of thing when you see it every year. I'm not stating to do this for every release that isn't a giant tentpole but if these movies are going to be handed out to SAG, etc. why not make them available to everyone else come like January too? Again it wouldn't be free. It would be like a subscription price thing and all the funds would go towards those studios.

21 hours ago, AndyK said:

I don't know about other people, but when I go to the cinema, I want a cinematic experience....

And that's fine. They could still come out as limited releases and be available in theaters but this could be an option for people who don't get a chance to see those in theaters because the films aren't released or are in only small amount of theaters in small rooms.

21 hours ago, cannastop said:

So basically netflix?

Kind of. Netflix doesn't offer films like this that early but they are getting better. More like a film version of Google Play or Spotify that applies to just these award screeners that are being sent out or given codes to SAG members.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

No, I think it would benefit those studios to charge for some package to stream those movies. It wouldn't be free. It would be like Spotify or Google Play. 

So you essentially want VOD for most current theatrical releases. I disagree, but it comes down to preference (and what you would want to pay for such convenience).

14 hours ago, kowhite said:

Screeners are DVDs.  This is what this thread is about?  

Yeah, this is why I don’t watch them.  These movies deserve better.  I deserve better.

somebody85 for President (of the academy)

Screeners always leak online. The physical DVDs actually look good. Not Blu Ray good, but they are clean. The rips that appear online don't and a lot of people watch them every year and then never watch these films again.

I think instead of trying to combat the screener problem, to give people who want them more options to see them like the music industry has done. They are going to leak either way so why not give people the option to view them in their proper quality and still have the money go to the proper studios? That's what I was getting at.

1 minute ago, Just Tele said:

So you essentially want VOD for most current theatrical releases. I disagree, but it comes down to preference (and what you would want to pay for such convenience).

Not all current theatrical releases. Like a package when it comes to these screener films. 

Like the same films being sent out to SAG, etc. Those would be the only films that would be available, not the bigger films like Coco or TLJ (which I know are on Screener too).

I would easily pay for it but that's me.

1 minute ago, Just Tele said:

Maybe they should watch them in theaters or wait for a rental then.

Not everyone lives in CA or NYC. I had to go 40-45 minutes out of the way to see The Shape Of Water and it was only in a very small theater. So was Molly's Game at one of my closer AMC's. 

Other people aren't going to do this. And saying to wait for rental just isn't going to happen. If those people are going to watch those films at home anyway, why not at least create an option to see them earlier if plenty of people are going to get them through agencies like SAG? Those agencies know they are being handed out to their friends, etc...

To be clear: I'm not saying to do something like this immediately. It would happen around January at the same time agencies like SAG are getting them. 

And it would eliminate "screener season" or at least give many the option to not only download these films who want to watch the award shows and can't make it to the theaters. Of course they'll still end up on the big torrent sites but again, that hasn't stopped people from subscribing to services like Spotify and Google Play. All those albums show up immediately on torrents too.

I think this would be a good way to combat it and make these films available to people who want to see them but can't. Just an idea that Hollywood would probably never go for.

You're essentially saying a semi-private industry publicity campaign should be made available to the public for some nominal fee simply because you (or others) want to see them as early as possible.

Do you think pre-release video-games (loaned to reviewers) or pre-print manuscripts (also sent to reviewers) should also be made available? What's the cut-off point and why?

edit: not worth it, maybe it's just a generational thing.

Edited by Just Tele
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Other people aren't going to do this. And saying to wait for rental just isn't going to happen. If those people are going to watch those films at home anyway, why not at least create an option to see them earlier if plenty of people are going to get them through agencies like SAG?

Because theater chain would not like it, it would be much harder for them to sell tickets if the movie is available on VOD no ? It would either require the VOD/package to be expensive enough that people would still watch it on piracy or if cheap enough, theater will probably refuse to play those movies.

It is not purely in the studio hands decision and there is consequence to not respect the theatrical windows to weight in.

• Like 1