Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen - Year 2

1 minute ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

If it’s any consolation, The Island May definitely have a spot in my Top 25.

Haha good!

Btw it seems nobody has mentioned the revelation at the end of the Island? Did ya'll not get that?

Edited by Hiccup23

2 hours ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

Somehow turns into a ripoff of the plot of Murder on the Orient Express.

Not sure I get this criticism? Literally the only similarity is that you think there's one killer, but then it turns out there's more than one. It wasn't a group conspiracy; everyone who killed only killed one person and there was no collusion. Not everyone was a killer/involved. By that definition Scream is a ripoff of MotOE...

35 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

I didn’t catch it - can you elaborate?

Also, I’ll have a Top 25 before going to bed. 

Really? I am shocked. I really kind of want you to come to the conclusion so I'll give you hints.

Spoiler

The hints dropped throughout the film are: 

- The meaning of Emrys name

- Case's real name

- Burning boat on the misty lake

- Sword

- England

- Emrys powers

Edited by Hiccup23

I got that it 

Spoiler

was supposed to be some sort of King Arthur reference

but tbh I didn't think it was like... a twist or revelation or something? Just seemed like a cute literary reference like the Alice in Wonderland references in Resident Evil.

• Like 1

Just now, Xillix said:

I got that it 

Hide contents

was supposed to be some sort of King Arthur reference

but tbh I didn't think it was like... a twist or revelation or something? Just seemed like a cute literary reference like the Alice in Wonderland references in Resident Evil.

Spoiler

Actually it isn't a reference.

Basically, the myth of King Arthur is that he is the Once and Future King. He will come back in the future to reclaim Camelot and rule again. 

Emrys is the reincarnation of Merlin and Case/Arthur is the reincarnation of King Arthur. Their nightmares of the burning boat is how the past Merlin and King Arthur died. Case/Arthur is drawn to the sword kind of like how Thor is down to his hammer. The futuristic city Emrys sees in one of his visions is the futuristic Camelot. Basically The Island is a Merlin and King Arthur origin story. It is actually the first film in an intended King Arthur Universe I am planning. I was keeping it low key because I didn't want to spoil the film. Also if the King Arthur Universe doesn't happen thats cool. Basically doing The Conjuring Universe approach instead of a Marvel Avengers/DC Justice League approach.

4 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I did kind of get the Arthur connection, with the magic and all, but it felt kind of thinly put together and comes so out of left field. I wonder how other films will build upon the mythology.

DECEMBER 

And the Band Played On - :insane:

It's surely a telling sign when you can watch a 3-hour, dialogue driven story and not be bored for one moment. This is truly a masterpiece of social, medical, and political drama, acted by a seamless ensemble of brilliant performers, each standing together with legitimate talent and power. Some moments will frustrate you (like how they didn't care about the patients all being in connection sexually to Dugas...at first, and not mentinoing on Gallo's arrogance and false sense of leadership) while others will emotionally destroy and uplift you - sometimes all at once. It's a true masterpiece in every sense of the word, and one of the best films I've ever read in CAYOM. Bravo, @4815162342.

Flying Spaghetti Monster the Great and Holy - :jeb!:

Consdiering my username, I can't be negative on it, but it feels ultimately kind of aimless and less effectively edgy than SBC's other films.

Spyro: Dragonheart - :apocalypse:

This short wasn't quite as good as the one before Crash - a bit too chaotic and incoherent. The movie itself is rather predictable, but it has some fun action setpieces and wonderful visuals to make it a decent family attraction over the holidays.

Blood Blizzard - :kitschjob:

What starts off as a fun, if shallow, serial killer mystery turns into a mess with an incoherent ending and characters you can't really care about. (Also, how did Frank escape the cellar?)

Voltron: Rise of Lotor - :sparta:

Does it manage to reach the heights of the first film? The short answer is no. It does become a bit convoluted at certain points, introducing several characters at various places, while I wished Pidge's plot was a bit more integrated into the story (but it was well done for what I saw). And yes, the ending is very much what GOTG2 did, but even the use of 80s songs throughout gave me that vibe. On the other hand, it's a passionate, exhilirating, and straight-up joyous follow up to one of my favorite CAYOM blockbusters - there are moments of genuine emotion, straight-up awe, and even sharp humor (damn, they made me laugh at a fart joke) to carry the way. Bring on Voltron III, @cookie. (P.S. yes, Lotor is great - definitely recalls the interesting aspects of Kylo Ren, too)

Peter and the Starcatchers - :wintf:

The fuck did I just read?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

(Also, how did Frank escape the cellar?)

That was the hint that

Spoiler

there was another killer working with him. James killed Pete and let Frank out. I figured it'd be pretty obvious once I pointed out he'd "been working with Frank all along."

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

That was the hint that

Hide contents

there was another killer working with him. James killed Pete and let Frank out. I figured it'd be pretty obvious once I pointed out he'd "been working with Frank all along."

Ah, duh. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

Top 25 drops.....soon. But first, enjoy the list of my top 10 worst films of the year:

Spoiler

10. My Life to Waste

Spoiler

9. The Beach House

Spoiler

8. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Spoiler

7. Two Lonely Zookeepers

Spoiler

6. Bloody Mary

Spoiler

5. Life After Death

Spoiler

4. Peter and the Starcatchers

Spoiler

3. Timmy's Winter Vacation 2

Spoiler

2. The Screwtaper Letters

Spoiler

1. The 120 Days of Sodom

Fuck this movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

Top 25 drops.....soon. But first, enjoy the list of my top 10 worst films of the year:

Hide contents

10. My Life to Waste

Reveal hidden contents

At least none of my films made that list. Even though none will make the top 25.

Love you too, cookie. Note that I didn't 'at' people for the worst of list. Guess why.

Spoiler

The Towering Inferno

@Xillix

Spoiler

The Terrible Plight of Freddy Zapper

@The Shape of Pasta

Spoiler

Midnight in the Afghan Valley

@Hiccup23

Spoiler

Storm Hunters

@Xillix