grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

As i suspected, Plot, Writing, Pacing etc are issues

Characters thankfully this time doesn't seems to be much issue and it seems Colin Treverow has used Original Trio well. 

If the movie gives satiesfying roles to the original trio, then that will be a big plus for the GA.

1 minute ago, Bigscrubnus said:

What cinemascore are we thinking will happen? I’m split between A- and A. The characters seem and action seem to be a plus and the GA seems to prioritize those things

An A- woudnt surprise me as reception till this point looks similar to Fallen Kingdom. Anything under that would be a sign to a lackluster audience response though.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'm on record as learning my lesson on doubting JW movies, but as I've seen Transformers come up a couple of times now, I do want to say one thing that's been chewing at my mind for the last few days as I've seen all the back and forth over how critic proof JW really is.

Some film series are indeed critic proof... until they aren't.

The classic case would indeed be the Transformer series of movies.  They kept belting out hit after hit despite lukewarm (or worse) reviews.  But then it started to wobble and finally capsize. What was it exactly that stopped them from being critic proof?  Probably a critical mass of irritations that finally became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's going to happen here.  Pre-sale data doesn't support it for one (though again, we're at the time where early buzz could start to matter). But mostly coz I'll now bet against the JW series only when I'm forced to by overwhelming data. 

But I do think the "this series is critic proof" or "The GA doesn't care about what critics think of this series" arguments aren't quite as good as an argument as some folks might think, even without it reaching BvS level reviews (which is truly a different level of bad reception).

I think the rise of the MCU played a contributing factor in the declining popularity of the Transformers movies. 

9 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Just don't. The exact same shit happened with the original Jurassic World and to a much larger extent Fallen Kingdom and look how well they did. 

It's the last one in the series, it brings back the original cast, it'll do well.

This,

The original cast is going to be a big draw, overcoming  the dissapointment a lot of people felt with Fallen Kingdom, which was, IMHO a not very good movie.

I don't see a BvS/Justice League situation here. Fallen World disspaointed a lot of people, but was not actively disliked the way that BvS was disliked. There is a difference between being dissaponted in a movie and actively hating it. You had the second with BvS, and JL paid the price.

Frankly, the original cast is what will get my fanny into the seat for this. I enjoyed JW, but did not think it was as good as JP was, and the reviews of Fallen Kingdom were enough to convince me not to spend ten bucks and the time on a ticket. I caught it on cable, and fels I was right in not buying a ticket. But this I will pay to see for the original cast.

6 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

I’m hearing JWD had the highest opening day in Korea since Endgame!

Its OD is a holiday in South Korea though. The number will be heavily inflated in any case.

In comparison to 1.3B+ WW (and higher) mega-blockbusters that have the rotten critical reception. So far there’s only two of those.

JW: Fallen Kingdom (47% on RT)

The Lion King (2019) (52% on RT)

And both did really well, despited their own mixed critical reception. So what’s the best & worst case scenario for JW: Dominion’s critical reception?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

In comparison to 1.3B+ WW (and higher) mega-blockbusters that have the rotten critical reception. So far there’s only two of those.

JW: Fallen Kingdom (47% on RT)

The Lion King (2019) (52% on RT)

And both did really well, despited their own mixed critical reception. So what’s the best & worst case scenario for JW: Dominion’s critical reception?

Best case imo: Somehow in the low 60s.

Worst Case: High 20s and im not joking.

I think critics will bash this.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-international-box-office-preview-korea-record-1235036682/

Universal’s Jurassic World: Dominion began early offshore rollout today and is off to a stomping good start in Korea with $6M. This is the fourth biggest opening day of all time in the market — topped only by Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Avengers: Endgame, and local title Along With The Gods 2 — and is the highest opening day of the pandemic there. The release pattern on JW:D differs from that of Fallen Kingdom which debuted in 48 overseas markets in 2018, but is similarly also before domestic which this time around goes June 10.

In total this weekend, Dominion will bow in 15 international box office markets. Along with Korea, majors include Mexico, Brazil and Italy. The Chris Pratt/Bryce Dallas Howard-starrer is eyeing a $45M+ start from the early play.

In like-for-likes, the previous two movies did $47.3M (2015’s Jurassic World, including previews) and $59.8M (2018’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, including previews).

• Like 1