CJohn

Early Friday Numbers (The Lorax - 17.5M; Project X - 8.2M)

2012 top 12 each weekend vs 2011 top 12 each weekend.

1st Weekend = + 27,96%

2nd Weekend = - 0,32%

3rd Weekend = + 23,54%

4th Weekend = + 6,16%

5th Weekend = + 28,21%

6th Weekend = + 28,33%

7th Weekend = + 10,43%

8th Weekend = + 18,91%

So not exactly 9 straight weeks.

January 2011 had only 1 over 20 or 30m openner.

Febraury 2011 had only 2 movies open over 20m.

January 2012 had 3 movies open over 20m

Febraury 2012 had 8 movies open over 20m.

But that's just for the top 12.

It was obvious two years ago that this would happen. 2011's schedule looked weak, I said it on BOM many times. Just look at the summer we have this year. Epic is not the word.

No one here is talking about summer of 2011, but the problem was in the holidays, which were the worst to date. July and May 2011 were huge and so was June some bit.

Honestly guys I think a huge difference has been the marketing of films this year. The ads are everywhere for every single film and the trailers make the movies look very appealing. Last year I was commentingon how bad the movies were marketed and they were. I think studios *knock on wood* after a year of mostly failing in the marketing department have finally got things to where they should be.

• Like 1

Those were big months and not the issue with 2011, but the holiday in that year was just plain awful. Don't even know how to explain, how only BD1 could be the only over 100m grosser from that month.Here is another stats for you:Movies over 100m in November2011: 12010: 52009: 52008: 62007: 32006: 32005: 32004: 32003: 32002: 42001: 22000: 21999: 31998: 41997: 0

Edited by Dom Cobb

No one here is talking about summer of 2011, but the problem was in the holidays, which were the worst to date. July and May 2011 were huge and so was June some bit.

I still don't know what you guys are looking for. The films in those down periods didn't interest audiences as much. It happens. Films every year disappoint or fail.

I still don't know what you guys are looking for. The films in those down periods didn't interest audiences as much. It happens. Films every year disappoint or fail.

Films in those period did interest me, but I am overseas and shouldn't be answering such question.

I think Hollywood is cloning people and sending them out to see random movies so the industry looks like it's improving. They know the end of the world is coming and they want to make as much $$$ as they can in the meantime.

Edited by Magic
  • Like 4

Four months isn't enough to make a year. The first and fourth quarters last year were nothing short of atrocious.

I know. That's why 2011 was lucky to have these months because they were also the months when the well-known brands were released. If not for them, 2011 would have been doomed. Edited by kayumanggi

Next week will be interesting. What's John Carter going to do?Tracking for Lorax exploded this week and John Carter actually decreased. Project X looks like it won't make much and yet it was ahead of JC in definite interest (33 to 29). It's numbers could be pretty awful next week and that may calm this 2012 hype down a bit.

Next week will be interesting. What's John Carter going to do?Tracking for Lorax exploded this week and John Carter actually decreased. Project X looks like it won't make much and yet it was ahead of JC in definite interest (33 to 29). It's numbers could be pretty awful next week and that may calm this 2012 hype down a bit.

You are one big curse to JOHN CARTER. Seriously.

It may not end up where the tracking indicates, we know it's nowhere near a sure thing, but I'm just saying if it opens very low nobody could say there weren't signs. I'm just being realistic. I never would have thought that after all of the money that Disney have thrown at the marketing that tracking would go down from where it was 2 weeks before. I expected it to jump and now I don't know what to think.The only film it was tracking above was Silent House, it's a week out and it cost more than 250M to make. What do you want me to say? That's it's going to open to 80M and make 1B worldwide? I can if you'd like.

Edited by Magic

It may not end up where the tracking indicates, we know it's nowhere near a sure thing, but I'm just saying if it opens very low nobody could say there weren't signs. I'm just being realistic. I never would have thought that after all of the money that Disney have thrown at the marketing that tracking would go down from where it was 2 weeks before. I expected it to jump and now I don't know what to think.The only film it was tracking above was Silent House, it's a week out and it cost more than 250M to make. What do you want me to say? That's it's going to open to 80M and make 1B worldwide? I can if you'd like.

That's fine, but you mentioned it with no provocation. You are needlessly negative about John Carter and it's tiring to see it in every thread.