CJohn

Early Friday Numbers (The Lorax - 17.5M; Project X - 8.2M)

We now say they are appealing because we now know how they performed. I'm pretty sure this was not the sentiment when we started the year.

Lets continue to March:2011 vs 2012John Carter | Battle Los Angeles - Not sure here, I say they appeal the same to me, but 3D/IMAX will help JC so a bit over 40M is in the cardsSilent House | Red Riding Hood - SH does look scary, but I wouldn't pay to see it until I read some reviews, RRH... I want my money back!Mars Need Moms | A Thousand Words - Not sure what is the worst...Limitless, Lincoln Laywer, Paul | 21 Jump Street - 2011 will pull a victory because of the number of openers, but 21JS looks more appealing than all of those movies that opened in 2011Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, Sucker Punk | The Hunger Games - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :lol:Hop | Wrath of the Titans - It does look more appealing to men, but... I think 3D/IMAX will save this one from falling under the Hop (and will open over 40M)Source Code, Insidious | Mirror Mirror - 2011 ftw, Mirror Mirror won't outopen SC and Insidious togetherApril 2011 vs April 2012 in not fair because of Easter.

Because there really was a bigger problem. The sudden turn around, 2012 winning 9 weeks straight with films, even the dumb ones opening in huge numbers, couldn't just be attributed to "appeal" or "better releases".

What are the dumb movies opening to big numbers?

I'm wondering if Lorax will have a fair bit better of an IM than Horton, now; Horton came out deeper into March and I'm thinking more kids were on Spring Break. Rango last year came out on this same weekend and went up 70% on Saturday.Could mean Lorax comes in at $60m instead of $55m, which would be really nuts.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

Your analysis is not very good. You can't just say 21JS appeals to audiences more or comparing perceived quality between all the releases.It's not like people knew MNM was going to tank as badly as it did or Hop do as well as that did etc.Fact of the matter is, movies like Contraband shouldn't have opened to the amounts they did being so generic when other movies in the past year all failed to do that. The change is stunning and is honestly still questionable as to why it's happened.

2012 is been a lot more APPEALING than 2011 especially early on. I've already seen 8 movies compared to like 4 movies at this time last year. 2012 I've seen:Chronicle-GreatSafe House-GoodThe Vow-AwfulThe Woman In Black-GoodThe Devil Inside-AwfulThe Grey-GreatUnderworld-AwfulAct of Valor-Mediocre2011Green Hornet-AwfulJust Go With It-AwfulThe Adjustment Bureau-GoodI am Number 4-Mediocre

That sucks for THE ARTIST. It just can't have an "amazing" weekend.

Yeah a silent film will always be in tough sell in this day and age, I was surprised the Oscar ratings did well this year I thought it will be lower with the type of film leading the pack

THE DEVIL INSIDE.

Seriously? How many times this needs to be explained?The Devil Inside looked SICK. The trailer was amazing, it premiered with Paranormal Activity 3 and got a fantastic reaction, and Paramount marketing campaign department did an extraordinary job selling the movie. The toxic WOM killed it after OW. Teens don't care about reviews, but they knew that TDI was shit after seeing it.
  • Like 1

2012 is been a lot more APPEALING than 2011 especially early on. I've already seen 8 movies compared to like 4 movies at this time last year.2012 I've seen:Chronicle-GreatSafe House-GoodThe Vow-AwfulThe Woman In Black-GoodThe Devil Inside-AwfulThe Grey-GreatUnderworld-AwfulAct of Valor-Mediocre2011Green Hornet-AwfulJust Go With It-AwfulThe Adjustment Bureau-GoodI am Number 4-Mediocre

See, you had money to shell out for three AWFUL films in 2012! :lol:

Yeah a silent film will always be in tough sell in this day and age, I was surprised the Oscar ratings did well this year I thought it will be lower with the type of film leading the pack

Really? What was the ratings. Was it better than last year? #tobusytoinformmyself

Your analysis is not very good. You can't just say 21JS appeals to audiences more or comparing perceived quality between all the releases.

I didn't compared quality. I just said that 21JS is far more appealing than the biggest opener on that weekend last year, Limitless.

Really? What was the ratings. Was it better than last year? #tobusytoinformmyself

39 million people watched it. Yes, it was better. Edited by CJohn

Seriously? How many times this needs to be explained?The Devil Inside looked SICK. The trailer was amazing, it premiered with Paranormal Activity 3 and got a fantastic reaction, and Paramount marketing campaign department did an extraordinary job selling the movie. The toxic WOM killed it after OW. Teens don't care about reviews, but they knew that TDI was shit after seeing it.

I don't know. Maybe my taste is just different. It's SHIT all over, trailers, tv spots, etc. That was not appealing in any way to me.

At this point last year I had seen 2 films (Rango and The Eagle)This year I've seen 7 (Devil Inside, Contraband, Underworld 4, Chronicle, Star Wars: TPM 3D, Journey 2, and Act of Valor.) I am seeing Lorax and Project X on Thursday for a double showing :) :) :)

I don't know. Maybe my taste is just different. It's SHIT all over, trailers, tv spots, etc. That was not appealing in any way to me.

Yes, you may thought it was shit, but most of the target audience thought it looked scary and awesome. All my friends aloved the trailer.(Warning: teens in Portugal don't go to theaters anymore, they just spent the money in stupid things or alcohol, and they download movies and games, and they already downloaded TDI)