Ethan Hunt

Ethan Hunt Reviews: Y3

January

Homestar Runner’s Cruddy Debut Movie- The title says it all- F

Not Funny- Peele as some funny stuff here and there. Movie can be pretty confused and cringy at times though- C-

Burnout- Dope time at the movie theatre. Exciting races sequences and everything else is satisfactory enough to warrant having said exciting race sequences. Thankfully for this movie I like cars going v fast- A

Chessman- Cute concept. Should entertain children and somewhat amuse adults- B

Conductive- Kinda messy. Also kinda entertaining. Lerman and Pitt provide charismatic lead performances- B-

Exorcism of Jessica WInters- It’s kinda uneventful. And not very scary. But hey the love wins sentiment is cute- C+

From Earth to Infinity: An Odyssey Through Space- Space is cool. Amy Adams is cool. IMAX is cool- A

• Like 6

February

Ice Station- some cool goofy action. Also a lots of undistinguishable characters. And…. his killer accidentally revives him…. Yeah. That’s the one that got me- C-

Dark Side- Okay. So movie starts and we see that Hunter is still borderline abusive after supposedly having redeemed himself in the last movie. We see Tyler become go in a rapid downward spiral due to his newfound wealth and fame. And that’s an interesting idea. Nicole is still in this somewhere unfortunately. I just don’t know I feel like i would probably give the film significantly more props if it wasn’t the sequel to PaW. It’s got some fun to have. But it just feels like Tyler as a character went in quite the opposite direction from the strong willed and compelling difficult choice that he made at the end of the first movie. - D+

My Peoples- I much appreciate the folksy vibe of this more than anything else. It’s cute and mostly solid though maybe falling into a bit of generic territory in the third act- C+

Cupid’s Quest: I mean I guess there isn’t really anything to hate here?- C

Father- This is awful dreary.- D

LiveStream- It’s a fun little thriller. Farmiga and Gilles both give strong performances here. Tension is well done. Simple. Straightforward. Well executed. Sure to be underrated by many. - A

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 3

March

Earth Defense Force- Film provides spectacle in spades. Characters can feel broadly sketched yet mostly likable. Should be a pleasing time for those looking for blockbuster entertainment- B+

Nerdy- Meh! A fairly unrealistic representation of school at any level really. Pretty frustrating- D

SoulCalibur- This is straight up boring. And Theo James has a fairly prominent role so that doesn’t help matters at all- D

Student Film- Coming of Age is my stuff. Movies are my stuff. This is dope. Hits me in the feels - A

Bronze Bow- A smaller scale affair than I expected. I do appreciate that it feels more willing to tackle some of the dark nature of people than most religious films. It can feel pretty slow at times but i suppose i can pass a recommendation- B-

The Storyteller- film has a decent sentiment and all that. But it feels most appropriate for children so the pg-3 doesn’t really make sense. Feel like it will bore older viewers- C

Lilo and Stitch- Good as heck movie. It’s got excitement, heart, and humor. Doesn’t do a whole lot to distinguish itself from the original but that’s fine in this case- A

• Like 2

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Lilo and Stitch- Good as heck movie. It’s got excitement, heart, and humor. Doesn’t do a whole lot to distinguish itself from the original but that’s fine in this case- A

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I appreciate you. You do stuff that no one else is going to do. Sometimes it gives us.... The Lonley. But sometimes it gives us (the incredible wonderful moving) 56 Days of Love

Hoping The Chrysalids can fall more on the 56 Days of Love side of things. 

Definitely positive We Are the Ants will :) 

April

Penguins- Penguins are cute- B+

The Lonely- I uhhhhh huh. This is something. It’s uber focused on what it wants to say. It seems obsessively direct. Which could be intentional… And dude’s coworkers are total dickheads in that one scene that kinda turns the tides of things. Derrick and and Rachel don’t have much to them as characters… which again would make sense to be an intentional decision but also it’s off putting as hell. And then the ending… just yeah I don't how i’m supposed to react to that. I don’t know what the hell this is- D (?)

Cataclysmic- Disaster sequences are exciting. Cool got that out of the way. Lawrence is  pretty good. Affleck is in the movie I guess. Pfeiffer is incredible. A bit slow in the inbetween disaster stuff maybe. It does tie up nicely.- A

BattleToads- A pleasant enough kids adventure. Though it does feel very specifically for kids (and game fans I guess)- B

Hidden Sender- ooooooof. Dumbbbbbbbbb horror movie- D-

RuPaul’s Best Friend Race- As someone who has no familiarity with the show this is all very confusing- F

• Like 1

I lied. here's part of may:

May (Part 1)

Spark: Homeward- Alright. Here it is. My most anticipated film of Y3 and the sequel to my favorite film of Y1. How did it do for me? It did… okay. It’s by no means a bad movie. Sasha Lane still delivers in the lead (though with less compelling material), The visuals are still beautiful (though not captured with the same kind of awe) and there is one real neat setpiece. Fleshing out Kozar’s background is nice though it doesn’t really ever feel like it amounts with much of an emotional impact. I wasn’t a huge fan of Everett bot subplot. Alex seems far too eager to forgive him. Edgerton’s villain is alright *shrug* Third act sequence is kinda unexciting. The film clearly wants to be great. It wants to stand shoulder to shoulder with the first movie but ultimately that’s what holds it back. It is so focused on having the pieces that make a great movie (which are arguably all there) that it doesn't really refine any of them- B-

Redeeming Love- Well this isn’t ever fun to watch. Genuinely uncomfortable in about every way- D-

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Fair enough, I guess. Did you actually like the first version more?

I’ll say this about the Everett subplot: He acts in a believably sincere manner so Alex can truly believe he wants to set things right. It makes it all the more crushing when those positive feelings were merely engineered. At first, Alex is mad at him for what he had done, and it shows in the apartment scene. Once the edge is off....she believed he was her father for nearly 18 years and loved him dearly. She wanted to believe he was as good as he said he was.

Can’t win ‘em all, I suppose. Hope you like Otherspace (now with more Tyler scenes and a bit more specific relating primarily to Anxiety and Depression) and The Prince of Egypt more.