BOOYAH SUCKAS

The Lost World 1997

Broke the OW record by a fairly large margin but had dissapointing legs that saw it lose the summer to Men in Black. 

While it was a technically well made movie it lacked a lot of the magic of the first movie and that is why it declined so much. 

I was only 2 when this movie came out and I'm wondering if people from around that time can tell me about the hype for the movie. 

What were the expectations for it before the mixed response? 

the original was still fresh as video stores, tv airings, and vhs tapes of Jurassic Park everywhere and the additional documentaries such as The Real Jurassic Park and The Making Of Jurassic Park with James Earl Jones.

the sequel book was also known, and universal decided to market the hell out of it. And the release date was fantastic!

but the only problems with the sequel was mixed word of mouth(although I’m a fan), and that it was a blockbuster sequel that wasn’t going to outgross it’s predcessor. 

However, it’s domestic and worldwide total was quite solid for a sequel and especially for Universal back in the late 90’s as they had this, Liar Liar, and the overseas of The Jackal. As Universal was the flop studio in the late 90’s. 

• Like 1

This was the first wowser! moment for me. Even more so than Independence Day the year before.  The Lost Word's OW and incredible Sunday boxoffice. 😮 It will always be remembered. Very underrated boxoffice performance. For its time, that OW was the equivalent of Spiderman, Avengers and The Force Awakens. 

@Christmas baumer What constitutes 'classic'  5 years? 10? Longer?

8 hours ago, lilmac said:

This was the first wowser! moment for me. Even more so than Independence Day the year before.  The Lost Word's OW and incredible Sunday boxoffice. 😮 It will always be remembered. Very underrated boxoffice performance. For its time, that OW was the equivalent of Spiderman, Avengers and The Force Awakens. 

@Christmas baumer What constitutes 'classic'  5 years? 10? Longer?

I think 10 years is a good barometer.

• Like 1