cookie

CAYOM Y4 - Discussion Thread

@4815162342 @cookie @Blankments @Reddroast @Spagheditary @Rorschach @Ethan Hunt @YourMother the Edgelord @Sears

Continuing the discussion from my review thread earlier - do we actually want to come to some kind of informal agreement to restrict the influence of running time numbers on reviews? Because I'm honestly pretty sick of being anxious about that, both in terms of my own films and how people will respond to my reviews of theirs. We don't need some sort of calculus for it, just either an agreement to ignore it for those purposes or limit its affect on grades.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@4815162342 @cookie @Blankments @Reddroast @Spagheditary @Rorschach @Ethan Hunt @YourMother the Edgelord @Sears

Continuing the discussion from my review thread earlier - do we actually want to come to some kind of informal agreement to restrict the influence of running time numbers on reviews? Because I'm honestly pretty sick of being anxious about that, both in terms of my own films and how people will respond to my reviews of theirs. We don't need some sort of calculus for it, just either an agreement to ignore it for those purposes or limit its affect on grades.

Yes please. It's starting to become less of a valid criticism and more of a nitpick thing. I always ignore runtimes when I review films on here for that reason alone.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I'm okay with it but what if it's actually a problem like in Johnny Test. Or for like compliments.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

I feel like it’s still worth pointing out if it’s a glaringly obvious issue (like a 90 minute movie wouldn’t have a super dense long plot) but like I said we shouldn’t turn it into a major crux either. Let the content be the deciding factor.

I will still work to make my runtimes seem reasonable compared to the content of the films but I won’t be judging anyone else because of what digits happen to suit them.

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

I feel like it’s still worth pointing out if it’s a glaringly obvious issue (like a 90 minute movie wouldn’t have a super dense long plot) but like I said we shouldn’t turn it into a major crux either. Let the content be the deciding factor.

See though people are having disagreements on what IS a "glaringly obvious" issue. That's the point.

Like if we're letting the content be the deciding factor why do we even need to make up these numbers, honestly? If a person doing actuals thinks that a movie feels long, they can judge it that way in terms of showtimes.

Edited by Xillix

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

How about we make it so that if you feel that it’s unfair, you can debate to get back points?

The last thing I want to do is encourage MORE tension or turn it into some sort of system that rewards arguments.

• Like 1

I mean I guess I'm not looking for some actual rigid rule, it's just that reasonable people can disagree on what is a blatant, obvious issue in terms of this. And since it's a subjective topic spawned by two or three digits, yeah, I think it's probably better to ignore it as a matter of principle.

If the writing is poorly-paced and hard to read then that's one thing and still worth criticizing, or if a movie goes on too long while reading it, never seeming to end or becoming a bore, et cetera. I'm referring specifically to the "x events don't fit into x mostly-arbitrary-number" criticisms like those levied against Amityville or Pillars.

Edited by Xillix

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

the writing is poorly-paced and hard to read then that's one thing and still worth criticizing, or if a movie goes on too long while reading it, never seeming to end or becoming a bore, et cetera. I'm referring specifically to the "x events don't fit into x mostly-arbitrary-number" criticisms like those levied against Amityville or Pillars.

Yeah, I can get behind that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xillix said:

@Blankments How goes Roger Rabbit 2? Is it really going to be for adults or was that a joke? You never know in this game :P

it has nothing written on it yet but will be written this weekend as I drive 6 hours somewhere

It'll be rated PG but most definitely be a more mature PG like the first one. Adults will definitely enjoy it

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

it has nothing written on it yet but will be written this weekend as I drive 6 hours somewhere

It'll be rated PG but most definitely be a more mature PG like the first one. Adults will definitely enjoy it

I... may be thinking of moving Silent Hill 2 to Thanksgiving >.>

• Thanks 1

Just now, Xillix said:

I... may be thinking of moving Silent Hill 2 to Thanksgiving >.>

I think both can co-exist well. Definitely would be the biggest Thanksgiving. Like Catching Fire (Roger Rabbit)/Frozen (SH2 if great) on a smaller scale.

Not to mention November should be strong this year.

Wings I can see opening soft but leg it to $100M

With Midas gone, Crysis should be the action juggernaut and may make $175M-$200M

Guys and Dolls can also reach the sweet $100M, my guess is around $130M-$140M due to lack of female films outside of family features

Food Wars which admittedly will likely be panned, can benefit from star power and lack of comedies and make $80M-$90M

Roger Rabbit 2 does $350M, Silent Hill does $200M. 

• Like 2