Crunching the Numbers: May the Fourth Be With Your Films

In its puch, Aubrey wears a visor and smiles, saying that she’s gonna save Mark. The Kanga-Rex hops its way forward. Every hop demolishes buildings from all around, causing huge infrastructure damage.

I get the feeling this gleeful mass destruction and death is gonna get brushed under the rug

Marked Up Time

Simultaneously one of the more zany, inventive, and off the wall fun movies of the year, and one of the more frustrating ones since the pacing is one of the most inconsistent, dual-personality tracks of the year. It goes from 0 to 100 to 0 in terms of action vs exposition in mere scenes which causes a lot of whiplash. As crazy as the final action setpiece is, the film doesn't find its real footing until it goes into the super weird land of the infinite Marks and the breaking of Time, because the film finally has a section where it can catch its breath, have an even keel, and just focus on the actual core of the story and the characters. Basically, the film is raw, untamed Lord/Miller, and they needed to go back and give it some polish and some sharper edges to get a tighter focus on some spots.

7.2/10

• Thanks 1

Silent Hill: Restless Dreams

Like the first Silent Hill movie, the movie has A LOT of plot as it relentlessly moves forward from spooky atmospheric scene A to gory monster ravage scene B and so forth. It's kind of like Amityville, except Amityville is more creative and has more feeling to it, whereas this feels a lot more mechanical and calculated in its march forward. Some very effective scenes, but also some fairly decent stretches where it's all kinda just there.

6.0/10

Edited by 4815162342
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

I vehemently but respectfully disagree with the first point. There's considerably less plot than the first movie (or something like Pillars which I could give the exact same criticisms, but moreso with all the backtracking and sidequests).

As to it feeling mechanical obviously that's much more subjective and it's perfectly valid you feel that way.

But hey, you also didn't care for the first one and everyone else loved it so... :Venom:

Just now, Xillix said:

I vehemently but respectfully disagree with the first point. There's considerably less plot than the first movie (or something like Pillars which I could give the exact same criticisms, but moreso with all the backtracking and sidequests).

As to it feeling mechanical obviously that's much more subjective and it's perfectly valid you feel that way.

But hey, you also didn't care for the first one and everyone else loved it so... :Venom:

Maybe plot isn't the right word, so much as it is a lot of A to B to C to D to E in filling up with linear scene progression

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Maybe plot isn't the right word, so much as it is a lot of A to B to C to D to E in filling up with linear scene progression

That makes more sense. The plot is more of a straight line, a long slow inevitable descent into... well, where it ends up. That's the appeal to me, frankly, but the atmosphere is key to it so if that didn't work for you there's not a lot of fancy structural stuff to fall back on.

I was actually emotionally drained writing it at points so I still hope it works better for others.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1