Xillix

Xillix' Critical Hit Y4 Reviews

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

Because I didn't like it :P

TBH I have never liked SpongeBob anyway and I personally think it's an especially poor fit for a Broadway musical, and that the taped musical is in turn a poor fit for movie theatres as a wide general release instead of like a Fathom deal. The American Theatre Wing doesn't make up my mind for me.

well, you do you; SpongeBob was the first show I saw on Broadway and let me tell you, it should've won a lot more awards than it did. honestly, the best stage musical I've seen besides Hamilton (in Chicago) and the Broadway production of Come from Away. unlike Spider-Man and Shrek, this actually was worthwhile and quite lovely as a show but i can see how reading a description wouldn't be the same thing

(also sure a taped musical might not be a good idea for theaters but it's not like with have CAYOM for Netflix lol and this will make a solid profit with how cheap it was)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

(also sure a taped musical might not be a good idea for theaters but it's not like with have CAYOM for Netflix lol and this will make a solid profit with how cheap it was)

Can't argue with that ;)

A while back I actually floated the idea of a home video component to CAYOM but we all agreed it was too complicated. I did announce a couple direct-to-Netflix sequels to my Y3 stuff in the Magazine thread just for funsies. Not actually gonna write them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I mean it certainly makes more sense, though if that was the intention I would've just made it explicit earlier on. Either way I liked it well enough!

One other thing, not actually a problem but just a curiosity;

Hide contents

Why change the Cerberus logo? Fans of the games would've recognized it anyway, and non-fans still won't know what it means.

Didn't change the logo per se. Just made it more obvious who the peeps are. Besides, IMO a lot of players would not recognize that logo but would be able to associate what I used instead.

• Like 1

MAY

Treasure Planet: Gauntlet of Midas

"Without the template of the classic Stevenson novel to fall back on, Gauntlet of Midas finds itself narratively adrift in a sea of unmemorable new characters, generic blockbuster plot contrivances, and slapdash editing. With little going for it aside from its big-budget effects and Waititi's visual panache - both of which are admittedly considerable - it proves another cautionary tale about unnecessary cash-in sequels."

BOT_Tag_-_2_half_stars.png

Frindle

"A perfectly serviceable but completely by-the-numbers adaptation of the inoffensive children's novel."

Murky

"A pretty decent meta horror-comedy until the third act, which suddenly swerves off the rails rather remarkably."

BOT_Tag_-_1_half_stars.png

Cabana Boys

"It's a Dugan/Sandler comedy. You already know if you're going to like it or not. I didn't."

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Loch Ness Monster

"I don't know what kind of blackmail the producers had on the distinguished cast - and Chuck Norris - to convince them to star in this no-budget movie, but it must be pretty bad. The film is an overlong SNL skit with horrible special effects, in low-rent, technically-incompetent, eye-gouging 3D to boot. Good for a couple of chuckles if you see it flat, but you'll want to wait til you can watch it with a fast-forward button."

A Month at Belmond Lane

"It's a Wes Anderson comedy. You already know if you're going to like it or not. I did."

BOT_Tag_-_3_half_stars.png

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@Spagheditary I might have given Belmond four stars if it had more paragraph breaks and didn't switch names around in the climactic wedding scene.

Also I appreciate the SWAT Kats pandering attempt but it works better if you spell the title correctly :P

Oops, lol.

• Like 1

So... Troy gets a PAID WEEK off of his low-level office job for stress? And he's supposed to be the one with the realistic, down-to-Earth future?

And the principal tries to convince the gang that the performance is out of his hands because he needs permission from... the principal? Which is himself?

And now Troy has a bunch of work? Was it a paid week off or not?

• Sad 1

JUNE

Brave

"It's competently-made but fails to fulfill its promise of giving a darker take on the material and offers no compelling reason for its existence, especially less than a decade on from the successful, readily-available animated version. Likely the most pointless film of the year."

BOT_Tag_-_2_stars.png

High School Musical 4: Reunion

"Largely more of the same - ludicrous plotting, questionable character motives, surface-level attempts at drama - crowded out by a slew of cameos and entirely too many songs, many of which are just covers of tunes from the original films. It's still decent bubblegum-pop fun, though, especially with its astronomically-increased budget, and has a couple good messages woven into its overcluttered tapestry."

BOT_Tag_-_2_stars.png

Paradise Lost

"Visually resplendent but a bit scattershot, this highly atypical Biblical epic has plenty of memorable sequences but is also a long, slow, uncomfortable sit in many ways. To be honest, I'm not completely sure how I feel about it - viewed as an R-rated mythical epic, it's okay, I suppose, though the messaging is muddled and suspect. Mostly I'm confused what the audience is here; is this supposed to be an arthouse film? They why is it a $150 million epic with major stars? Is it a blockbuster? The overt Christian theme and R rating make that unlikely. Is it for church groups and the like? Certainly not; it's too explicit and showy and not appropriately reverent of the Bible."

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Xillix said:

Seriously though I've been kinda... groggy/drowsy last few days. So I didn't wanna try to read through an epic like that because it'd be harder to get into it and my assessment wouldn't be fair.

That's fair, take your time. I don't mean to rush you by any means. I guess I'm just a little anxious to see everyone's thoughts on it.