SLAM!

*Y5 Oscar Picks*

Welcome to the Y5 Oscar Picks thread!

tenor.gif?itemid=5084105

(That's how I'm feeling right now...)

But anyways! I'll be giving you a refresher of all the Oscar voting rules and regulations! Here is a list of all of the categories:

Best Picture

Best Animated Feature

Best Director

Best Ensemble

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Leading Role

Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Supporting Role

Best Original Screenplay

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Original Score

Best Original Song

Best Cinematography

Best Film Editing

Best Production Design

Best Costumes

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best Sound Mixing

Best Sound Editing

Best Visual Effects

Best Use of Action

You might be thinking, where in the world is Best Documentary Feature? Well, it's not in that list, because there were only three documentary films released in Y5, meaning that those three films are guaranteed a nomination. Those films are:

Spoiler

Birds @YourMother the Edgelord

Calendars

Dolphins

(I know, I know, that was the same video from the last Oscar Picks thread...)

But anyhoo! Here are some really important ground rules that I'd like to establish before we get into it!

1) In your ballots, please list five choices for each category--and in alphabetical order, too. For these nomination ballots, don't rank them; just a simple alphabetical list will suffice.

2) Any category that deals with the names of certain individuals (Acting categories, Director, and Score) should have the choices listed in alphabetical order by the last names of the individuals.

3) For the song category, all you need is the name of the song and the film it's from. My preference as the tabulator: list your choices by the alphabetical order of the songs.

4) Please refrain from posting your ballots publicly. Send your list to me via Private Message (PM), and title the message "Y5 Oscar Picks [insert username here]." I'll post words of affirmation in the Private Message Chatroom when I've counted the ballot.

5) Only voters who have read all of the Y5 films can participate in the nomination phase--though if you're in this boat and still want to be a part of this year's Oscars, you can vote solely for Best Picture when we're deciding the winners--provided that you've read the nominees.

These guidelines are put in place to help the process go smoothly.

If you are still curating your ballot or if you still need to read a few films, that's okay--no rush. You may send me your ballot when you've finished writing. I have no set date, but I will say that I would prefer to have the ballots "as soon as possible"-- perhaps by Sunday/Monday.

So now that I've finished my spiel...

tenor.gif?itemid=5111579

This'll be a great Oscar season!

• Like 5

Just to let everyone know, there's gonna be a period of time where I'm having dinner with my family; I can guarantee that I'll be back at my computer around 8:00-9:00 PM at least. Feel free to send me your ballots anytime you'd like!

Just now, cookie said:

More people should really get in on the Documentary game (including me). It's like the third year in a row the nominees are decided by default.

I have a few that I've got planned but they'll only come if I get everything else finished. There's one that I've got planned that I was inspired to make after I came across a video on YouTube about the lifespan of the universe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

What is A Woman in the Crowd adapted from?

Funny you should ask that! I was waiting to reveal it until I could have fresh opinions from all the 3.0 newbies. It was actually adapted from a My Little Pony fanfiction named "Background Pony" which I read WAY back in high school. Back in 2.0 when I wrote it, I had just read the full fic (which spans about 432k in word count) and wanted to try to adapt the story while removing the obvious fandom and out-there magical elements of the fic. This was mostly done by me focusing on two out of 20 chapters and removing the heavy lore of the original fic.

Also, you all thought this ending was depressing; the way AWitC ends is probably the highest point of hope Lyra has in the original fic. I can elaborate on the ending if anyone wants, but yeah, I'd call her ending in the film much more uplifting than in the source material.

Edited by Blankments
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Just now, Blankments said:

Funny you should ask that! It was actually adapted from a My Little Pony fanfiction named "Background Pony" which I read WAY back in high school. Back in 2.0 when I wrote it, I had just read the full fic (which spans about 432k in word count) and wanted to try to adapt the story while removing the obvious fandom and out-there magical elements of the fic. This was mostly done by me focusing on two out of 20 chapters and removing the heavy lore of the original fic.

Also, you all thought this ending was depressing; the way AWitC ends is probably the highest point of hope Lyra has in the original fic. I can elaborate on the ending if anyone wants, but yeah, I'd call her ending in the film much more uplifting than in the source material.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to keep that a secret all of this year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Funny you should ask that! I was waiting to reveal it until I could have fresh opinions from all the 3.0 newbies. It was actually adapted from a My Little Pony fanfiction named "Background Pony" which I read WAY back in high school. Back in 2.0 when I wrote it, I had just read the full fic (which spans about 432k in word count) and wanted to try to adapt the story while removing the obvious fandom and out-there magical elements of the fic. This was mostly done by me focusing on two out of 20 chapters and removing the heavy lore of the original fic.

Finally, I can talk about this being a thing

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Also, you all thought this ending was depressing; the way AWitC ends is probably the highest point of hope Lyra has in the original fic. I can elaborate on the ending if anyone wants, but yeah, I'd call her ending in the film much more uplifting than in the source material

What was the ending in the source material 

• Disbelief 1