cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

58 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Heron is receiving wider presence in the festival as compared to other GKIDS anime award push like Mirai, Belle and WwY but weaker than Kaguya (Kaguya got Cannes). 

Yeah, and that really just comes down to Ghibli's own strategy. Cannes really tried to get this movie, but Ghibli was adamant about it premiering for Japanese audiences before festivals, so only the fall festivals were an option.

• Like 2

The sad part is a movie like this with this kind of reception from this level of a filmmaker would probably be considered the Oscar front runner to win the big awards if it wasn’t animation. But the Academy has been bucking some nasty stigmas with their awards lately, so maybe getting over their animation bias is next 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The sad part is a movie like this with this kind of reception from this level of a filmmaker would probably be considered the Oscar front runner to win the big awards if it wasn’t animation. But the Academy has been bucking some nasty stigmas with their awards lately, so maybe getting over their animation bias is next 

I think it's rare that in a given year an animated film from the big studios "Deserves" an Oscar.

Also critic scores aren't the only thing. Otherwise Aftersun would have more Oscar nominated from just one category

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think it's rare that in a given year an animated film from the big studios "Deserves" an Oscar.

Also critic scores aren't the only thing. Otherwise Aftersun would have more Oscar nominated from just one category

Among the last half decade, I would make a strong case for both Coco and Into the Spiderverse deserving heavy consideration to win BP their years. Noms should have been a shoe in. I might throw Moana in as well, but the whole underwater/Tamatoa detour gives off a very “kiddy” vibe that is a bit jarring from how much of a masterpiece it is otherwise. 

18 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really.

Princess Kaguya has 100% RT and 89% Metacritic and lost to Big Hero 6 in animation.

Green Book won best picture with 70 RT and Metacritic.

Barbie is guaranteed a nom, and it’s reviews aren’t even anything special at the best picture level.

Reviews alone don’t decide.

Edited by Valencia

12 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Not really.

Even in just animation Princess Kaguya has 100% RT and 89% Metacritic and lost to Big Hero 6.

The best animated feature Oscar is often such a joke. Academy members just vote for the movie their kids liked and use the category as an excuse to ignore animated films in most of the other categories. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The best animated feature Oscar is often such a joke. Academy members just vote for the movie their kids liked and use the category as an excuse to ignore animated films in most of the other categories. 

Yes, that’s exactly what they told people they do lol.

But they must actually watch them every blue moon otherwise there’s no way ITSV could have beaten Disney backed $1B+ Incredibles 2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Both of Elemental/Wish cause Disney.

TMNT because they know what that is without having to watch it.

Elemental probably has the third slot locked. Wish is also pretty likely as long as it's good. But Mario has to be in the mix (unless it gets the cold shoulder like The Lego Movie way back when) too. TMNT would have to knock out either Wish or Mario for the fifth slot. Does Netflix have anything this year with a shot? Will that Illumination bird movie matter? It feels like ATSV, Boy and the Heron, and Elemental are the only sure things right now.

Edited by ZeroHour

12 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Elemental probably has the third slot locked. Wish is also pretty likely as long as it's good. But Mario has to be in the mix (unless it gets the cold shoulder like The Lego Movie way back when) too. TMNT would have to knock out either Wish or Mario for the fifth slot. Does Netflix have anything this year with a shot? Will that Illumination bird movie matter? It feels like ATSV, Boy and the Heron, and Elemental are the only sure things right now.

Chicken Run 2, Nimona, Wish, TMNT, ATSV, HDYL are all in the mix. Mario isn't getting a nom most likely as it's a fairly strong year. Migration is a wildcard but it has the date benefit.

Edited by Bob Train

55 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Yes, that’s exactly what they told people they do lol.

But they must actually watch them every blue moon otherwise there’s no way ITSV could have beaten Disney backed $1B+ Incredibles 2.

That was 100% because of release date. If ITSV was Summer and Incredibles 2 was Holiday it would have won.

21 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Was it even finished in time for Cannes? I get the sense they were working down to the wire to hit the Japan premiere. 

At any rate, I’m getting major delusions of grandeur of this getting BD and BP noms and actually playing to win. I mean, hey, how many bigger living legend filmmakers are there than Miyazaki, and this critical reception is just too over the top for me to not get excited about awards here.

I said all along I thought this was an Oscar contender if it was considered top tier Miyazaki, and that’s what the critical reception has certainly been. Wind Rises for example only had a 7.9 average rating with top critics. That’s a chasmic difference from 9.3. 

21 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

Yeah, and that really just comes down to Ghibli's own strategy. Cannes really tried to get this movie, but Ghibli was adamant about it premiering for Japanese audiences before festivals, so only the fall festivals were an option.

Missing Cannes is understandable but missing Venice is baffling since Venice festival was after Japanese' release and to recap, Howl's moving castle, Ponyo and Wind rises all had Venice as part of the festival plays but of course those were when Ghibli was with Disney. 

I am still unable to a path to BP or BD nomination at the Oscar. The movie needs some Parasite, Drive my Car, or EEAAO kind of miracle to pull off that feat. That is why the Dec 8 release was so important. If Heron could make a headline making BO as a "Indie" animation, that could change the course of the award buzz. 

It would be rather unprecedented for them to ignore a movie as huge as Mario in the animated category, especially since they don’t watch most of them. The only real precedent for it is the Minions movies, which aren’t quite the juggernaut Mario was, and likely only didn’t get noms because most adults find the Minions completely insufferable. 

At any rate, this has a huge edge to win that cat by becoming a festival darling because it means they will all actually be watching it. 

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It would be rather unprecedented for them to ignore a movie as huge as Mario in the animated category, especially since they don’t watch most of them. The only real precedent for it is the Minions movies, which aren’t quite the juggernaut Mario was, and likely only didn’t get noms because most adults find the Minions completely insufferable. 

At any rate, this has a huge edge to win that cat by becoming a festival darling because it means they will all actually be watching it. 

Mario's critical reception is pretty much worse than both minions (slightly better than minion1 rt% wise but identical average score and worse metacritic, while it's just worse off than minions2 on all fronts).

BO doesn't really mean squat here since we're not talking about an academy-friendly film breaking out. huge BO didn't lead to MCU films suddenly getting nominations except for BP which american critics adored anyway.

unless Wish is just total shit I don't think mario has a shot at getting in, and even then the academy might just prefer to reward disney anyway. or they throw both netflix films in/go for some other film critics were more positive towards like TMNT.

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really.

The other second runner up animation TIFF winner won nothing it got nominated for.

And that one had a 91 Metacritic lol.

19 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Mario's critical reception is pretty much worse than both minions (slightly better than minion1 rt% wise but identical average score and worse metacritic, while it's just worse off than minions2 on all fronts).

BO doesn't really mean squat here since we're not talking about an academy-friendly film breaking out. huge BO didn't lead to MCU films suddenly getting nominations except for BP which american critics adored anyway.

unless Wish is just total shit I don't think mario has a shot at getting in, and even then the academy might just prefer to reward disney anyway. or they throw both netflix films in/go for some other film critics were more positive towards like TMNT.

It has the edge over Elemental, and I’ll stand by that. The critical reception between them aren’t even far apart at all, except one was an all-timer box office phenom and the other was Pixar’s second biggest box office failure ever. Lightyear and Dinosaur couldn’t get in just based on Pixar’s name either among comparable films to Elemental. Mostly though, there’s zero chance Mario isn’t a favorite among voter’s kids, and as we’ve mentioned, the Academy has outright admitted in the past that’s how a lot of them vote for that cat. 

Edited by MovieMan89