cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

What movie they are playing? I saw Suzume has a random re-release in 200+ theaters this weekend too, 

The sub version of Spirited Away. I've never gone to a Fathom Event thing, so I'm not sure how it works!

On 10/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, Danhjpn said:

Just curious: why you expect similar to Korea but not Taiwan at elsewhere? 

The movie is only opened in Japan, Taiwan and S. Korea. So far the general WOM in Korea and Japan are quite on par with each other but looked better in Taiwan. I think we have big enough sample size to conclude the movie won't sit well with the general public, especially families who are attracted by the "Boy and the heron" name. 

Malaysia is getting the movie on Nov 30. 

On 10/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, cannastop said:

It's not divisive among critics. Maybe the movie will be hard to take from American Miyazaki fans but I think enough critics have reviewed it to make it clear.

As more critics have seen the movie, the movie will inevitably touch base with less-sophisticated reviewers, oftenly they are just bloggers. Even now you tell top critics are giving appraisal (9.3/10) better than the average critics.

Ok, we did get a bit at GhibliFest;

There's not an English dubbed trailer but we DID get a snippet with a few scenes of (Willem Dafoe?) saying (Paraphrasing)

Spoiler

"This world as you know it will come to an end tomorrow"

This played in front with subs.

And after the movie and the credits, he interviewed with the man who does the Japanese voice of The Heron, which was funny ("How was it working with Hayao Miyazaki?" "I thought I was going to die.")

Edited by Morieris

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why did they delete the rottentomatoes page for this movie?

Lol I noticed that a few days ago. There was previously a duplicate page for the movie, so my hypothesis is that they accidentally deleted both pages instead of just the duplicate. Shame considering it should be certified fresh by now.

17 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

There’s an OS thread for How Do You Live? 

I’ve seen very good results in SK, it’s opening super strong in Spain and France 

But i can’t find any thread compiling the infos, that would be nice since i think the movie is shaping up to have a strong OS figure 

I’m thinking +200M is happening WW