Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Shaftesbury avenue cineworld is exceptionally strange. Dingy and creepy in my opinion. We're the Millers was good though.

Yes, pretty horrid cinema. Been there for free previews a couple of times and escalators everywhere!

MUs multiplier is massive from OW.

Yes, 1D will be massive OD and OW and will hopefully be banished from cinemas soon after!

MU is looking like at least a 10x multiplier from OW at this rate. Such a shame that Pacific Rim couldn't hold that well from that weekend ;)

Yes, pretty horrid cinema. Been there for free previews a couple of times and escalators everywhere!

Doesn't help when none of the escalators are working either. Probably wouldn't have gone there if Jurassic Park hadn't been cancelled at the BFI due to a power surge.

Doesn't help when none of the escalators are working either. Probably wouldn't have gone there if Jurassic Park hadn't been cancelled at the BFI due to a power surge.

Yeah, would never choose to go back to that cinema.

That sucks about JP, saw it again recently - what a film and would be cool to see in 3D at the BFI!

Yeah, would never choose to go back to that cinema.That sucks about JP, saw it again recently - what a film and would be cool to see in 3D at the BFI!

I've done 2 of the Leicester Square cinemas now. Did the BIG ONE for the phantom menace in 99 with the folks and Avatar on opening day as I missed my imax screening. I really want to check out the empire before I lose my student card next year as it looks really cool in there. Stuff like that can't be helped, but I can't complain about seeing we're the Millers as it rocked.

£

1. Toy Story 3 - 73,779,707 -21,187,264

2. Toy Story 2 - 45,323,406 -7,971,539

3. Monsters, Inc.-37,907,451 -9,200,357

4. Finding Nemo - 37,364,251 -7,590,845

5. Up - 34,589,456 - 4,441,836

6.The Incredibles - 32,277,041 - 9,753,035

7. A Bug's Life - 29,449,272 - 4,204,067

MU is currently #8

What films have held on as strongly as MU in the last 10 years. The only ones I can think of are MIB3 and Arthur Christmas

A Christmas Carol had a great run despite a not so good OW. I think animated films like AC did well because it was literally the only kids film during that period and then got a huge boost nearer to Christmas.

A Christmas Carol had a great run despite a not so good OW. I think animated films like AC did well because it was literally the only kids film during that period and then got a huge boost nearer to Christmas.

including Christmas films that release in November is kind of cheating seeing as how they always get stronger the closer we get to the main event (Harold and Kumar excluded)You have to admit, since MU cane out, DM2's holds have been fantastic. It's weekends flanmed out quickly but is staying power has been brilliant!

The year so far

Monthly admissions numbers (actual bums on seats) always arrive after a significant delay, and the ones for July were recently released: 14.32 million. Not only are they lower than the equivalent month for 2012 (15.52 million), but they're sufficiently behind to drag the running tally for the year below 2012 levels. The first seven months of 2013 have seen 96.77 million admissions, which compares with 96.96 million for 2012, so we are down 0.2% so far. That's a tiny margin, but disappointing when you consider that after one month, ie January, admissions this year were already 3.5 million ahead of 2012, a lead that's been eroded ever since. What's more, 2012 finished on a scorching streak that included the final Twilight movie, Skyfall and The Hobbit. This year we have The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which could surge far ahead of its predecessor, and another Hobbit film, but no Skyfall equivalent. To be fair, cinema admissions in 2012 were the second highest for a decade, as well as the third highest since 1971.

A very week July is definitely to blame for the little dip in admissions vs. same time last year. But as the article stated, 2012 had highest admissions since 1971, which means the UK BO is still on fire, and not seeing a fall like many other European markets.

No Skyfall though obviously means a big gap for this year compared to last. 

Edited by Heretic