Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

My local is actually letting Joker keep an IMAX showing next week lol. Messy. 

My local is keeping it exclusively in iSense all weekend, but on Monday Smile 2 is taking over???

Really odd stuff, you’d think Smile 2 in the evenings and Wild Robot in the day would be the most logical choice this weekend.

Edited by Allanheimer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Allanheimer said:

My local is keeping it exclusively in iSense all weekend, but on Monday Smile 2 is taking over???

Really odd stuff, you’d think Smile 2 in the evenings and Wild Robot in the day would be the most logical choice this weekend.

Smile 2 zero PLF at my local unfortunately.

It’s getting 2 4DX and SuperScreen showings at the city one though. But that’s it. 

1 hour ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

According to Deadline Warner have a three week deal with IMAX for Joker 2

I don’t understand these deals. This has more potential to damage theaters than to help them. And it’s a very American thing. I know for a fact that things don’t work like that in China for example, which seems to have a more reasonable way to handle theatrical distribution. In China the number of screens a movie will have on the next days depend on how well it did in the prior couple of days. For example, a movie like Joker would never have more than 1 weekend the exclusivity over IMAX screens. IMAX should rethink their deals, add some performance clauses etc. Earlier this year they had the same problem with Furiosa.

Edited by leoh

35 minutes ago, leoh said:

I don’t understand these deals. This has more potential to damage theaters than to help them. And it’s a very American thing. I know for a fact that things don’t work like that in China for example, which seems to have a more reasonable way to handle theatrical distribution. In China the number of screens a movie will have on the next days depend on how well it did in the prior couple of days. For example, a movie like Joker would never have more than 1 weekend the exclusivity over IMAX screens. IMAX should rethink their deals, add some performance clauses etc. Earlier this year they had the same problem with Furiosa.

To be fair, the idea of giving Joker 2 (the sequel to a billion+ dollar grosser) a 3 week exclusivity window for IMAX, would have seemed like a no-brainer prior to the reactions out of Venice. Nobody foresaw just how badly this was going to go.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

They should be able to get out of it if the film bombs though. 

They should look at the deals again. “3 week exclusive if the opening weekend is above XX”. 

exactly, I can’t understand why they’re making these deals of three weeks of exclusivity regardless without any additional clause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simplyobsessed said:

Will takings for the Smile double bill count towards Smile 2's takings?

I think they will.

Scream 5 & 6 double bill on the Wednesday did £207k and Thursday £467k. Paramount reported a full opening of £3.04m including previews and Screen Daily said £2.4m 3 day. 

12 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Friday

1. Smile £539k

2. Wild Robot £536k

3. Terrifier £186k

4. Apprentice £182k

5. Joker £141k

Nice, glad Smile 2 is #1, I know it’ll change tomorrow and Sunday, but has a good shot of beating the original with 1 day less proper previews. 

21 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Friday

1. Smile £539k

2. Wild Robot £536k

3. Terrifier £186k

4. Apprentice £182k

5. Joker £141k

Probably around 2M£ OW ( with previews) for Smile 2, maybe until 2,2M£ if Sat and Sun are strong . TWR , if it makes as Transformers last week , will be around 2,5M£.