Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

FF6 did £2.9m opening day according to Deadline which means it'll do £9-10m OW, it probably would have been bigger had it not been on the Great Gatsby and holdovers like STID and Iron Man 3, its going to be a busy time for cinemas, I imagine a lot of films will have to share screens or be dropped to make way for new releases like The Hangover and Epic.

‘Fast & Furious 6′ Breaks Records In UK-Ireland Before Begins Global Rollout May 24

UPDATE 7 PM: The sixth installment of the Universal Pictures franchise is looking to successfully transition from street racing to heist action to terrorist plotand kicked off this weekend in the United Kingdom and Ireland today. Fast & Furious 6 is opposite Warner Bros’ The Great Gatsby (including Thursday previews) and the second week of Paramount’s Star Trek In Darkness. ButF&F6 is set in London and had its world premiere there. The UK and Ireland scored the biggest opening day for the franchise and Universal’s biggest opening day of all time in those markets, grossing $4.4M (£2.9M) at 462 dates.  It was the 2nd biggest opening there of 2013, behind Iron Man 3‘s $4.7M (£3M) and #1 in the market with 54% market share. F&F6 opens in North America and 59 international markets day and date on May 24th. Universal did what no studio has ever dared to do: change the genre of a successful franchise.

Great! Almost £3m. Should mean about £10m opening, nearly double Fast Five!

FF5 was a four day opening so it has done better, Universals previous biggest opening days were Les Mis at £2.1m and Ted at £2m. It'll be interesting how big Saturday will be. I imagine it'll be close to £4m if not more, in a less crowded summer, it would have bigger.
  • Like 1

Wow. Yep, today it could do £4m, that's absolutely gigantic for something without 3D! Looking like an opening in the $14-16m range then should happen.

I imagine it won't have the legs Les Mis because of the upcoming competition but a £30-35m total is looking likely. I do hope the successful May spills over into June with After Earth, Man of Steel and Despicable Me 2, I think DM2 will be very successful and another hit for Universal.

I imagine it won't have the legs Les Mis because of the upcoming competition but a £30-35m total is looking likely. I do hope the successful May spills over into June with After Earth, Man of Steel and Despicable Me 2, I think DM2 will be very successful and another hit for Universal.

Definitely won't, this is probably going to be quite frontloaded. If it opens to £10m I can see it hitting £30m, but I doubt it'll go much higher than that. Still that's amazing, the Fast and Furious franchise has really exploded.

Definitely won't, this is probably going to be quite frontloaded. If it opens to £10m I can see it hitting £30m, but I doubt it'll go much higher than that. Still that's amazing, the Fast and Furious franchise has really exploded.

The fact it's managed to outgross Star Trek is incredible although Star Trek has done well and it did increase from the previous film but there has been one more FF film in the last four years unlike Trek.I can't see any film topping £10m for a while, perhaps Monsters University will but will have to wait and see, I can imagine After Earth and MoS will have spots during Britains got Talent which will help generate interest. I would be happy if MoS does Star Trek numbers but I think anything above £6m would be great.

Rarely are films ever released in more than 500 or so cinemas, though. A lot of the rest are probably independent chains that show mostly indie films.

Around 35% of theaters would be about indie movies only? It's hard to believe o_o