Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Twisters is benefitting from spillover. 

Yeh plus the only options really are Deadpool, animated or horror. So families who don’t want a cartoon may go for Twisters. Deadpool is a 15 so not an option for them. 

Should be over £8m by tonight and then maybe finish £13-15m. 

Deadpool I’m guessing £12.6m opening weekend 

Sunday

1. D&W £3.75m

2. DM4 £839k

3. Twisters £399k

4. IO2 £297k

5. Longlegs £184k

Weekend

1. D&W £12.62m (£17.26m)

2. DM4 £3.11m (-37%) (£25.30m)

3. Twisters £1.49m (-52%) (£7.94m)

4. IO2 £1.21m (-29%) (£50.11m)

5. Longlegs £723k (-45%) (£5.68m)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Deadpool & Wolverine opens at No.1 this weekend with £17.2m including Thursday shows. This is the highest opening since Barbie last summer (£18.4m), and the highest-ever opening weekend for a film rated 15 or above, overtaking Deadpool which made £13.7m in 2016. Shawn Levy’s MCU addition is also the seventh-highest debut in the franchise, above Marvel Avengers Assemble (£15.7m) and behind Black Panther (£17.7m), and the highest-ever opening for both Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman. Jackman previously starred in six X-Men films totalling over £110m, with 2014’s X-Men: Days Of Future Past (£27.2m) the best-performing of the franchise, whilst The Greatest Showman (£50.4m) and Les Miserables (£40.8m) remain the actor’s highest-grossing titles. 2016’s Deadpool went on to gross £38.1m in its lifetime, whilst Deadpool 2 opened with £12.9m and went on to gross £32.8m. In our PostTrak exit poll, Deadpool & Wolverine achieved a full 5 stars and a 93% Total Positive rating (well ahead of the norm for General Audience titles of 81%), with the genre/type of film (38%) and it’s part of a franchise I like (36%) being the main draws for audiences. 74% would Definitely Recommend the title to friends, again well ahead of the norm (57%).
Despicable Me 4 is at No.2 with £3.1m, dropping 37% in its third weekend of release, the second-best hold of the Top 10. With a running total of £25.3m it is now the third-biggest film of 2024 so far, above Kung Fu Panda 4 (£21.9m) and Migration (£21.3m) and behind only Dune: Part II (£39.6m) and Inside Out 2 (£50.1m). Illumination's latest animated hit has already overtaken the lifetime of the original Despicable Me (£20.2m), and at the same point of release is tracking 7% and 1% behind Despicable Me 2 and Despicable Me 3 respectively.
At No.3 is Twisters with £1.4m, a 52% drop from its opening weekend. Lee Isaac Chung’s action-adventure has grossed £7.9m to date, ranking at No.20 among 2024 releases, above Poor Things (£7.5m) and behind The Garfield Movie (£8.7m). Daisy Edgar-Jones’ highest-grossing release to date is Where The Crawdads Sing (£8.4m), whilst Glen Powell has Anyone But You (£11.7m) and Top Gun: Maverick (£83.6m).
Inside Out 2 is at No.4 with £1.1m, a drop of only 28% in week seven of release, the best hold of the Top 10. Disney and Pixar's sequel is the sixth-highest animated film of all time with £50.1m, 7% behind the lifetime of Frozen 2 (£53.7m).
Oz Perkins’ Longlegs is at No.5 with £722k, a 45% drop from last weekend. The horror picture has a cume of £5.6m, making it the best-performing title for Black Bear to date overtaking Michael Mann’s Ferrari (£4.2m).
At No.6 is A Quiet Place: Day One, with a gross of £167k. Michael Sarnoski’s prequel has made £9.4m to date, just behind A Quiet Place Part II (£11.7m) and A Quiet Place (£12.2m).
The Indian action-drama Raayan opens at No.7 with £149k, while fellow Indian title Bad Newz is at No.8 with £59k.
Jane Schoenbrun’s I Saw The TV Glow also opens this weekend, grossing £59k to chart at No.9. Schoenbrun previously directed We're All Going To The World's Fair back in 2022, making £9k in its theatrical run.
Closing the chart is Fly Me To The Moon at No.10 with £41k, bringing its cume to £1.6m.
The overall box office is up 57% from last weekend, and down 26% on the equivalent weekend in 2023 when Barbie remained at No.1 in its second weekend with £13.2m, and Oppenheimer remained at No.2 with £8.2m. With Deadpool & Wolverine and three other titles making £1m and above this weekend, this contributes to the biggest UK & Ireland weekend since early August 2023.
Year-to-date, 2024 is running 14% behind the same period in 2023.
This week we have the family picture Harold And The Purple Crayon (Sony) playing from Wednesday, and the animated adventure film Kensuke's Kingdom (Modern Films) opening on Friday. We also have re-releases of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man (Sony), Hayao Miyazaki’s My Neighbour Totoro (Elysian) and Wolfgang Petersen’s The Neverending Story (Warner) available from Friday.
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Deadpool I’m guessing £12.6m opening weekend 

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Weekend

1. D&W £12.62m (£17.26m)

£12.6m opening. Spot on with my guess 😂

Only “Harold and the Purple Crayon” this weekend from what I can tell, so hopefully nice holds and some space next week for the holdovers. Having two films under £100k in the top 10 is grim, but it’s because they’re giving so many showtimes to the biggies which is fair enough. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

Twisters actually did okay despite losing the PLFs. I think it'll probably get to a decent total. 

IO2 still has enough fuel to get to £55-60m by the end of the summer.

I've seen posters for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice already and it's not out until September, I wonder if it'll be a big post summer hit like IT?

23 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Sunday

1. D&W £3.75m

2. DM4 £839k

3. Twisters £399k

4. IO2 £297k

5. Longlegs £184k

Weekend

1. D&W £12.62m (£17.26m)

UK use 10% of US as a guide for UK opening why was Deadpool 3 4 day 8.17% and 3 day 5.97%? Many MCUs are similar but strangely many X-Men films are closer to 10%. Did think maybe it was due to Fox having UK premieres for most X-Men films but the early MCU films regularly had premieres in the UK as opened week before the US? Deadpool 3 with a 4 day + midnights should have opened £20m+? 

2 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

UK use 10% of US as a guide for UK opening why was Deadpool 3 4 day 8.17% and 3 day 5.97%? Many MCUs are similar but strangely many X-Men films are closer to 10%. Did think maybe it was due to Fox having UK premieres for most X-Men films but the early MCU films regularly had premieres in the UK as opened week before the US? Deadpool 3 with a 4 day + midnights should have opened £20m+? 

It’ll be hard to use the 10% guide on opening weekends, easier for totals.

Plus in America anyone can go as long as they’re accompanied, here in the UK no one under 15 gets in at all. 

Edited by Krissykins

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Twisters is getting some 4DX back from Friday 

Could be big news for it here. I saw it in 4DX in Leicester Square last weekend and all I can say is if you have a site even remotely close to you I implore you to go. A must-see experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Monday Deadpool £2.18m

How does that compare to the 2016 Suicide Squad's first Monday? Only film I can think of that's remotely fair to compare it to. Perhaps Guardians 1 as well in terms of Sun-Mon decline?

Edited by Allanheimer

19 hours ago, Allanheimer said:

How does that compare to the 2016 Suicide Squad's first Monday? Only film I can think of that's remotely fair to compare it to. Perhaps Guardians 1 as well in terms of Sun-Mon decline?

Suicide Squad first Monday £1.78m and Tuesday £1.91m. Released in November rather than the holidays though.

GOTG was much lower all round.

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Suicide Squad first Monday £1.78m and Tuesday £1.91m. Released in November rather than the holidays though.

GOTG was much lower all round.

Suicide Squad opened August 5 2016 (£11.2m/£12m inflated no previews)? 

How big will Deadpool drop in its second weekend; Deadpool 2 dropped 71% and Deadpool 59%, 65%+ drop for Deadpool 3 £5m-£6m second weekend? 

1 hour ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

Suicide Squad opened August 5 2016 (£11.2m/£12m inflated no previews)? 

How big will Deadpool drop in its second weekend; Deadpool 2 dropped 71% and Deadpool 59%, 65%+ drop for Deadpool 3 £5m-£6m second weekend? 

It’s tricky here in the UK cause it depends if you include Thursday from last week. 

BOM for example will include Thursday, so looking at old drops for comparison might not be the full picture. Screen Daily, UK trades etc will show the drop from the 3 day weekend only. 

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That might be offset by absolutely zero competition. 

That's a possibility, of course. I'm just thinking, in such a dreadful, wet and cold summer as we've had this year, a lot of people might take this week to do anything BUT stay inside.

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

That's a possibility, of course. I'm just thinking, in such a dreadful, wet and cold summer as we've had this year, a lot of people might take this week to do anything BUT stay inside.

I dunno, it’s still doing £2m+ each weekday and it’s been 24° and sunny here.