Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

If I lived in London (or UK) I would definitly go and see lots of events in the Olympics. It would be an unique chance in life.

It's really not that simple. :lol:Sure, I'll watch some of the events, but it isn't going to detract from my normal day to day life.

It's really not that simple. :lol:Sure, I'll watch some of the events, but it isn't going to detract from my normal day to day life.

Kinda true I guess. Maybe it is just me because I never had the chance of seeing some of these big events live (I was very young in 2004, if you know what I mean) and I really don't know how it works.

Oh shit, there's a Top Cat movie coming out in a couple weeks. How come I didn't hear about this until I saw the poster on the side of a bus this morning?

Where do you live Coolio?There's a Top Cat movie? Never heard of it until now... Edited by Heretic

For the third week in a row, The Avengers - Marvel Avengers Assemble in the UK - reigned supreme at the UK box office.

Disney’s superhero team-up took an further $6.7m (£4.2m) to stand at an extraordinary $64.9m (£40.3m) to date, the third best performer of the last 52 weeks in the UK with The Inbetweeners Movie’s $72.5m (£45m) haul firmly in its sights. It’s the third film this year to achieve a trio of consecutive number ones, following War Horseand The Woman In Black, and no film has yet made it four weeks at the top.

It faces tough competition to do so next week as well with the arrival of Sacha Baron Cohen’s latest comedyThe Dictator, which opens on Wednesday (16). Cohen’s previous two solo efforts Borat and Brüno have made $10.1m (£6.2m) and $8.1m (£5m) respectively on their debuts.

In a repeat of last week’s top two, Universal’s comedyAmerican Pie: Reunion held firm in second after adding $4.1m (£2.5m) for $19.7m (£12.2m) after two weeks in play. Reportedly the final instalment of the popular franchise, Reunion is closing in on American Pie’s $22.6m (£14m) tally, but still has a way to go before matching the series’ high of American Pie 2’s $29.4m (£18.3m) bounty.

With an estimated $4.0m (£2.45m) opening from its 515 sites, Warner Bros.’ Dark Shadows opened decently in third but failed to dislodge the established top two.

The eighth collaboration between Tim Burton and Johnny Depp couldn’t get close to their previous film Alice In Wonderland, which took a whopping $17.0m (£10.6m) on its opening. Indeed, out of Burton/Depp’s live action offerings, only Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood made less on their debut at $1.0m (£632,052) and $99,768 (£61,895) respectively, the latter did only open on 15 sites though.

Falling one place to fourth was Warner Bros.’ romantic drama The Lucky One, which took a non-final further $744,000 (£461,796) to stand at $3.8m (£2.7m) after ten days of release.

Disney’s 3D re-release of Beauty And The Beast rounded off this week’s top five, adding $676,325 (£419,814) for $3.0m (£1.8m).

This week sees saturation releases for Paramount’s The Dictator and Momentum’s much-buzzed about The Raid, which will open in around 290 sites. Network Releasing’s 2 Days In New York receives a wide release.

Hoping The Avengers will be at around $72-73m by Sunday.

Expected fall for AP. Should reach $25m easily, which is great. The Dictator will hit it hard this week though.

Edited by Heretic

1 Marvel Avengers Assemble £4,169,087 £40,279,2822 American Pie: Reunion £2,546,626 £12,208,0523 Dark Shadows £2,404,029 £2,404,0294 The Lucky One £431,576 £2,311,5385 Beauty And The Beast 3D £422,924 £1,837,9916 Safe £298,201 £1,552,7287 Salmon Fishing in the Yemen £259,550 £5,316,2608 Piranha 3DD £242,889 £242,8899 How I Spent My Summer Vacation £152,728 £152,72810 The Hunger Games £143,542 £23,480,585