CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

HP1's reception amongst casual audience was "meh," heck it showed in its rather "normal" legs for that era (especially considering Christmas holidays).SM2 opened in a market that had just been completely exhausted by Shrek 2 (highest attended film in the 2000s decade) and Prisoner of Azkaban. I figured it would've increased had it been the first release of the three, if not stayed flat from SM1.Phantom Menace....let's just not get into that.

I thought Avatar was the most attended film since The Phantom Menace, something like 75m admissions. I think Shrek 2 is 71-72m. I actually thought Spider-Man 2 did really well, especially looking at its performance today, just couldn't match the original.And I always wonder how much more Clones and Sith would've made if The Phantom Menace was on par with the originals.

The one thing I'm wondering is if there will be room for growth in this franchise. Or will this be like HP1, Spider-Man, and The Phantom Menace and be the highest grossing of the series. When a first film does this type of numbers it just begs the question if this is as good as it's gonna get. Or can it even do better? :o

I am of the opinion that if CF wants to make more than THG, it must transcend as TDK did and be considered far better than the predecessor.But one thing in THG favor is the audience response. HP1, Spider-Man, and TPM were all considered either average/good (spiderman (check the RT and IMDB scores)) mediocre (potter1) or a complete dud (TPM). Early exit polls indicate that viewers believe this film (THG) to be on TDK levels of quality (though I would strongly disagree), The IMDB score is surprisingly high considering they love to pan films with leading female protagonists at that site, and its RT score is just insane.So we could see a masterful increase, if the audience response to THG stays strong, and CF is a far superior film.

I have little doubts Catching Fire will be a far better film. It'll have a much larger budget and *book 2 spoilers*

all the new tributes will be adults, so that'll be far better acting across the board, heh. And the arena is going to be fucking incredible onscreen.

I thought Avatar was the most attended film since The Phantom Menace, something like 75m admissions. I think Shrek 2 is 71-72m. I actually thought Spider-Man 2 did really well, especially looking at its performance today, just couldn't match the original.And I always wonder how much more Clones and Sith would've made if The Phantom Menace was on par with the originals.

TDK and Avatar are both ~75m. Shrek 2 I believe is just a few million above those 2 (much larger % of lower priced kids' tickets). Again, I'm not diminishing SM2, I just think it could've at least matched SM1 in a less exhausted market. It still did unreal numbers.And yeah, Phantom Menace...

HP1's reception amongst casual audience was "meh," heck it showed in its rather "normal" legs for that era (especially considering Christmas holidays).SM2 opened in a market that had just been completely exhausted by Shrek 2 (highest attended film in the 2000s decade) and Prisoner of Azkaban. I figured it would've increased had it been the first release of the three, if not stayed flat from SM1.Phantom Menace....let's just not get into that.

Indeed, I should have mentioned the exhausted market in spider-man2s case as well, though the film was indeed also battling barely above average WOM from the first film. I remember kids at my school at the time thinking that the end of the movie (mostly males) was pretty horrible, though I loved it.

I have little doubts Catching Fire will be a far better film. It'll have a much larger budget and *book 2 spoilers*

all the new tributes will be adults, so that'll be far better acting across the board, heh. And the arena is going to be fucking incredible onscreen.

What was wrong with the tributes in the first film? I thought they all did a good job. And the only adult that's going to get decent screentime is Finnick.

Indeed, I should have mentioned the exhausted market in spider-man2s case as well, though the film was indeed also battling barely above average WOM from the first film. I remember kids at my school at the time thinking that the end of the movie (mostly males) was pretty horrible, though I loved it.

Yeah, I never got the sense that SM1's WOM was fantastic. Good, certainly, but nothing special. It capitalized on no competition for the first two weeks, and after that the only competition it had was AOTC coming off poor reception from Phantom Menace, and when AOTC opened, SM1 had already made 70% of its final gross (was fairly frontloaded for its time). Edited by spizzer

TPM - 85m+ tickets, by far the worst film to make over 300m, fallowed closely by the shrek sequels)Avatar - sold around 78m-80m tickets, its 3D share was not over 80% till wknd 3, and fell under 80% after Alice killed it.Shrek 2 - 73m-75m (fuckin kids, I thought shek2 was an appalling film, and a disgrace to the first film as were all the fallowing sequels)TDK - 73m-74m

I was 10 when Spider-Man came out and my friends and I thought SM1 was the greatest thing ever haha. Everyone was talking about it. I guess I didn't think about what the older audiences thought of it. I just assumed its great BO and its impressive legs for such a huge opener that it must've been well liked.

What was wrong with the tributes in the first film? I thought they all did a good job. And the only adult that's going to get decent screentime is Finnick.

More action, without shaky cam necessary = much better film.

I was 10 when Spider-Man came out and my friends and I thought SM1 was the greatest thing ever haha. Everyone was talking about it. I guess I didn't think about what the older audiences thought of it. I just assumed its great BO and its impressive legs for such a huge opener that it must've been well liked.

Indeed, I was 12, the kids that didn't like it much were the 8th graders. :rolleyes:

They all struck me as pretty one note, which is probably the fault of both the source material and the actors themselves. Also, Johanna will get a fair amount of screen time, and Beetee and Wiress should get some nice scenes too.

Indeed, I was 12, the kids that didn't like it much were the 8th graders. :rolleyes:

It's funny though because I think the nostalgia from SM1 still carries over from people my age when comparing the SM films. I still think the first one is the best despite the critics love affair with the second one. Most people I ask agree with me. I think it was the one that just appealed to audiences the most.

It's funny though because I think the nostalgia from SM1 still carries over from people my age when comparing the SM films. I still think the first one is the best despite the critics love affair with the second one. Most people I ask agree with me. I think it was the one that just appealed to audiences the most.

Indeed, its definely the most watchable of the bunch, but the 2nd film is easily the highest rated even by fans, I am of the opinion that that is why the third film had such a massive opening then crumbled like tin-foil. Goodwill from the 2nd was strong, strong enough even to overcome those gawd-awful spidey-3 trailers. OMG the film looked bad, I couldn't believe it when it broke the opening wknd record.

Indeed, its definely the most watchable of the bunch, but the 2nd film is easily the highest rated even by fans, I am of the opinion that that is why the third film had such a massive opening then crumbled like tin-foil. Goodwill from the 2nd was strong, strong enough even to overcome those gawd-awful spidey-3 trailers. OMG the film looked bad, I couldn't believe it when it broke the opening wknd record.

I didn't think the SM3 trailers were that bad. Not as good as SM2 which had one of the best trailers of all time. SM3's opening just shows that it was well on its way to 400m+ and be right up with those films attendance wise. But the film just wasn't that good and the result was it crashing and burning. Pity.