Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

yet somehow an Avengers movie with spidey, strange, Thor and many more could easily go sub $1B. Some people on this forum are just trolling 

There's also people acting like..there's any chance of Spidey not being in it? After Marvel has delivered multiple huge hits for Sony with him?

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

There's also people acting like..there's any chance of Spidey not being in it? After Marvel has delivered multiple huge hits for Sony with him?

Even without Spidey, think the name alone gets it to 1B even with the characters not having as much potency now because you see characters teaming up.

• Haha 1

The biggest issue with the MCU is they pushed out way too many projects way too fast. Also, having too many fluff projects caused people to drop the franchise. 

I feel like people forget the MCU didnt really start to pick up steam until phase 3. There is still time to fix things but time is running out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The biggest issue with the MCU is they pushed out way too many projects way too fast. Also, having too many fluff projects caused people to drop the franchise. 

I feel like people forget the MCU didnt really start to pick up steam until phase 3. There is still time to fix things but time is running out. 

I think all of us really didn’t realize 17 projects in two years would really take the wind out of the sails. That’s two phases worth of material in a short timeframes Even though for most films, you won’t need to have seen the shows to move forward, it feels like that because they’re so many. It also is eating into Feige and the production’s team time to perfect them.

Think post SW, we will either get 3 movies and a show or 2 movies and 2 shows onward yearly.

Edited by YM!

10 minutes ago, YM! said:

Even without Spidey, think the name alone gets it to 1B even with the characters not having as much potency now because you see characters teaming up.

If Justice League can do $650M with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in it, then Avengers can absolutely do under $1B with Bucky, Iron heart, Shang Chi, Shuri, Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, MS Marvel, Nerd Hulk, She-Hulk, and Strange/Thor coming off bad movies as the main team lol.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Iman doing the interview with puppies will add $100m to the final gross.

You joke but, those things all add up. There is a reason why those are a thing to begin with. Not having cast available to promote absolutely is a big issue.

My guess is, unlike Dune, Marvel anticipated the strike would end early enough for a more thorough campaign with the cast, and be able to take advantage of being the first movie post strike to mount a significant cast campaign. Unfortunately it seems like it could stretch into early november, so if that was the bet it was the wrong one.

Edited by SpiderByte

If I’m Feige I would start canceling all the fluff MCU projects: which include all the Disney+ series. Change Loki season 3 to a movie with a brief recap of season 1 and 2 (also add Hemsworth to attract more GA)

Replace the fluff MCU projects with movies that actually build up to Kang (the exclusion being spidey since he’s an IP on his own)  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think all of us really didn’t realize 17 projects in two years would really take the wind out of the sails

Oh I did. I was warning folks about this for years. And honestly, I think most were on my side by the time Black Widow dropped outside of the big Marvel diehards.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean...they also really weren't doing that before either. Hell that was a big reason why they bought Marvel in the first place.

There were trying and mostly failing to make films aimed at that demo (at least post-PotC) but they were trying. The high profile failures like Tomorrowland's Lone Ranger: John Carter, the Prince of Persia (alongside soft performances of successes like Tron) are explicitly cited by reputable sources as inspiring Disney's IP binge. Will we see a slight retvrn to that era?

25 minutes ago, Valencia said:

If Justice League can do $650M with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in it, then Avengers can absolutely do under $1B with Bucky, Iron heart, Shang Chi, Shuri, Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, MS Marvel, Nerd Hulk, She-Hulk, and Strange/Thor coming off bad movies as the main team lol.

Tbh most of those characters are well liked though. Like we can debate about The Marvels leads but most of these characters are at base levels are liked even with mid movies. Ffs both Shang-Chi and Wakanda had strong audience reception.

Edited by YM!

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Why are people seemingly so happy about the prospect of this bombing? Yes, there's some cbm fatigue, but it's not the end of Marvel. There's not gonna be many Billion dollar movies as before, but why so happy a franchise that gave us so many good things is on a downward spiral? Marvel helped theaters in the last 10 plus years. I really don't see what could replace it that it gives theaters so many billion and other successful movies

Being popular and well-liked doesn't mean we should congratulate and applaud and be nice to a movie franchise that will make more money than we will ever make in our lifetimes. Especially when it's not like even their current direction is something the fans are happy about. Plus the whole "it supports theaters" thing doesn't hold water because we have tons of other movies right now picking up the slack. Trust me when I say being mean towards something that has made $29.6 billion isn't that big a deal.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

That logic of killing the "fluff" doesn't hold though. Quantumania, the movie that first introduced Kang to the films, didn't do as well as Guardians, which had almost nothing to do with the multiverse aside from Gamora. So multiverse plot doesn't automatically guarantee a hit, even if most of it has been well received outside Quantumania.

I think Igers plan is correct: space things out more, refocus the TV side on more traditional format shows and not miniseries. I also think Marvel Studios non-MCU projects like the Spider-Man and X-Men animated series will help with that.

Edited by SpiderByte

42 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I’m still not sure why people are using The Marvels as a benchmark for “is the MCU dead”. The writing has been on the wall for months now. If Deadpool is well received and does less than both previous installments, then we can start declaring the death of the MCU. 

Deadpool is a franchise which is literally about mocking the MCU and parodying it heavily. Not every film linked to the MCU is popular because it’s connected to the MCU.

Anywya on the wider discussion I just want to say if you think this is bombing because Brie can’t go on TV then wtf are you doing ignoring that Captain Marvel (a billion dollar franchise) 2 is called ‘The Marvels’ featuring a team up with TV actors.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Marvels come out in 10 days and still no actor promos. This will severely test how important actors are for marketing.

AMPTP/SAG still dragging their asses with the strike talks isn't helping.

FNAF just broke out despite no actor promo. Some will try and defend this films likely poor performance by deflecting to actor promo but that simply won’t fly. 

• Like 1

The big issue with Chapek was oversaturation, not helped with Covid meaning they had a bunch of shows that all released in one year. I think spacing it out, which they seem to be already doing, is an good first step towards that.

The more traditional pilot format also means probably less announcing a ton of shows direct to order years in advance. Devoting more TV execs to the TV side also frees up Feige to focus more on the films, so he's stretched less thin.

There's still some growing pains, like basically resetting on Daredevil (though it sounds like they're keeping some of the episodes filmed and the general plot, just changing the approach to it).

They're also broadening their approach in terms of violence, since Deadpool and Marvel Zombies are both R, and Blade and Daredevil seem likely to be R as well.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh most of those characters are well liked though. Like we can debate about The Marvels lead but most of these characters are at base levels are liked even with mid movies. Ffs both Shang-Chi and Wakanda had strong audience reception.

The bigger problem is that OP forgot about StarLord. Holland/Pratt/Cumberbatch/Hemsworth doesn't set the MCU up for another decade of success but it's a team that has a very high floor and all of these actors can at least center a big tentpole pitch. I'd have felt compelled to include Larson in there but [glances around] (FWIW I don't really get the anti-Larson as star/charismatic view but this is evidence for it).

Shang-Chi really did very well despite having terrible covid timing but that still means not a massive number of people saw Shang-Chi in theaters and he's been completely absent from later MCU films (and tv). There's a real chance Marvel just squanders most of the upside they gained from their only real new hit. 

I'm really interested to see the "real" reception of IronHeart and Shuri because race/gender stuff makes internet just a poor gauge. I thought IronHeart was compelling despite being a pretty obvious "DLC/spinoff tease" addition. 

• Like 1