The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Have you just....have you just not seen any of the news about Taylor Swift? The concert movie that will have an opening comparable to the exact movie you are describing now?

Edit: also, saying there's never been a Barbie movie before now is...proof you don't have sisters or daughters. Especially since you said there aren't 40+...when the live action one is the 42nd.

Edit: 43rd actually, another one came out this year two months before the live action one.

??? I have 3 sisters, dude. And I was talking about movies released in theaters, given how this is a forum about the box office. 

Also, you clearly did not read what I said. There is a big difference between having 40 completely unrelated movies that aren't even in the same medium, vs 40 movies set in the same universe. 

Also, it's not like Captain Marvel was particularly female-skewing, as 60% of the audience was dudes. So movies like Barbie or the Eras tour are not relevant here.

I don’t know why people are expecting The Marvels of all things to suddenly overindex with female audience. It’s mostly males who drive comicbook films. I haven’t seen anything unique or special about the marketing so far that would cause women to be overly excited for this film. I’m expecting the typical MCU audience. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Also, you clearly did not read what I said. There is a big difference between having 40 completely unrelated movies that aren't even in the same medium, vs 40 movies set in the same universe

It's just as applicable, you don't need to watch every single Marvel film to see The Marvels either.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Pre sales are unlikely to tell us a lot given the core fan rush for MCU. People were predicting QM could touch Multiverse of Madness OW based on pre-sales (lmao) and we know how that turned out. The only thing pre-sales might tell us is if they’re outright bad, then we know for sure this is headed to an absolutely disaster OW. 

The first 24 hours (especially for a CBM) can tell us a lot. Many knew something was going wrong with GOTG3 just based on the first few hours. Obviously, there are other factors to consider (positive reviews vs toxic reviews)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:32 AM, AN9815 said:

I think the problem with MOM is that it did not deliver what people were expecting. Was it a terrible movie? Absolutely not. Did it deliver what it promised or what fans/audiences were expecting after No Way Home? No. My biggest problem with the movie is how it completely ignored the events and Wanda's character arc in WandaVision. 

My problem is that Wanda went 100% over to the Dark Side so quickly.It should dhave been more gradual. Call it "Dany In GOT" disease.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

There’s no fathomable way that this thread should have this much activity.

I thas gotten caught up in the whole "Are CBM's on their way out" discussion as well as "Is the MCU in trouble" discussion.

My own concern iis how being so tightly tied in with the Disney plus shows will impact this movie.  'Synergy" has been an idea that has been treid tme and time again, and flopped time and time agaiin.

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

I don’t know why people are expecting The Marvels of all things to suddenly overindex with female audience. It’s mostly males who drive comicbook films. I haven’t seen anything unique or special about the marketing so far that would cause women to be overly excited for this film. I’m expecting the typical MCU audience. 

Lets be honest captain marvel likely made 100 million or more extra on avengers fans alone likely lol

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

These would be the presales that led people to say it'd open at 80?

It wasn't clear if Guardians was going to outopen Antman until the final week, which is a big yikes in itself. Strong reviews saved an otherwise underwhelming presales run. By T-7 most came to the conclusion that $100M+ was a safe bet

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It wasn't clear if Guardians was going to outopen Antman until the final week, which is a big yikes in itself. Strong reviews saved an otherwise underwhelming presales run. By T-7 most came to the conclusion that $100M+ was a safe bet

Oof, that's bad. Especially for how trash Quantumania was

How much do you think Guardians would've opening to had it released in May 2022 (right after No Way Home). . .before Doctor Strange, Thor, She-Hulk, and Ant-Man fucked everything up?

Edited by HummingLemon

Are people just blaming any MCU performance on the specific MCU projects they didn't like, how the fuck did She-Hulk impact anything.

But yeah the actual box office or critical success doesn't change that the discourse will be awful online. Anything less than the first is a bomb whether to "wokeness" or some other arbitrary metric.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The only one of those with mostly negative reviews is Ant-Man.

It doesn’t matter, these things are used to get 90% easily. 

65-70% is already perceived as bad for MCU for a big portion of the audience and it’s hard to argue against something like Thor 4 not having nearly toxic WOM despite being fresh on RT. People hated it.

I think is delusional to expect a MCU movie to suddenly push The Flash numbers, people are being weird about The Marvels, but there’s obviously something wrong with the franchise health and GOTG3 initial performance was a proof and it should have some sort of impact here as well.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Pre sales are unlikely to tell us a lot given the core fan rush for MCU. People were predicting QM could touch Multiverse of Madness OW based on pre-sales (lmao) and we know how that turned out. The only thing pre-sales might tell us is if they’re outright bad, then we know for sure this is headed to an absolutely disaster OW. 

LMAO. ridiculous hyperbole.  Presales looked like 22-23m previews 140M-150M+ 5 days until final week when it started collapsing.

No one was expecting it top MOM

• Like 1