CJohn

Wednesday Numbers: Titanic 4.75 THG 4.6

Sorry AA, don't be logical. Please, just face facts. Titanic, being the most popular film ever made, should of done 25 mill OD. 4.7 is fucking awful.

Sorry AA, don't be logical. Please, just face facts. Titanic, being the most popular film ever made, should of done 25 mill OD. 4.7 is fucking awful.

Continue, you're just making a bigger fool out of yourself.

Interesting to note that 4.7m is what it made on its first non-holiday Wed back in 1998 if you adjust for inflation. I'm sure it will be pointed out that it was its 20th day, but it made another 725 MILLION after that day...again if you adjust.Just sayin... ;)

You've been doing that for the better part of the day.

:DOh, that reminds me, you still haven't answered me, do you expect it to make more on fri-sun than TLK 3D? Edited by Elessar

This week, after tracking numbers were released:

How big on Wednesday can this go? 10M??

I think Titanic is being underestimated... people are talking about it.

Wed- 7m

Thur- 4m

Fri- 8m

Sat- 12m

Sun- 7m

3 day- 27m

5 day- 38m

Think it can reach 100m+ DOM, and who knows OS.

My daily guess is something like 5.5/4.5/11/12/7.

:DOh, that reminds me, you still haven't answered me, do you expect it to make more on fri-sun than TLK 3D?

Probably not, and I know you are new at this so pay attention, this is EASTER WEEKEND. Films fall on Saturday and they fall bigger than usual on Sunday. So the chances of it making more than TLK for the three day are slim. TLK went up by 33% on Saturday and fell 22% on Sunday. Titanic will proably fall by 5-10% on Saturday and it will fall by 30-40% on Sunday.You have to look at the whole picture, not just the part of the picture that suits your argument best.

Probably not, and I know you are new at this so pay attention, this is EASTER WEEKEND. Films fall on Saturday and they fall bigger than usual on Sunday. So the chances of it making more than TLK for the three day are slim. TLK went up by 33% on Saturday and fell 22% on Sunday. Titanic will proably fall by 5-10% on Saturday and it will fall by 30-40% on Sunday.You have to look at the whole picture, not just the part of the picture that suits your argument best.

The stronger Friday balances off the weaker Sat/Sun. In the past 3 years, drops have been the same if not better than the weeks before for most movies.http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2009&wknd=15&p=.htmhttp://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2010&wknd=14&p=.htmhttp://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2011&wknd=16&p=.htm

It's not the same thing at all. Look, did anyone really think the Wednesday would be 10 mill and the 5 day would be 50? I sure didn't. And I still think this will do north of 100 mill.

I don't know hence my qualification at the end of that statement. It sure does seem so. I don't think everyone beforehand was predicting it to do $4.75m on Wednesday and call it great. It seems more of a, "Nu-uh, it's still great!" reaction. The BOT tracking (as in our tracking) all had it above that OD.

But Avengers is a new release opening on a Friday whose marketing makes the date very clear, and it has a huge fan base that makes a big opening more expected. Titanic is the total opposite of that.Again, I think the "disappointment" is coming from simply from unrealistic expectations of fans. A stronger comparison would be if Hunger Games had opened to "only" $80-90 million. Yes, it would have disappointed those predicting big numbers....but it still would have been one of the best franchise-openers in history and made back its budget within three days from North America alone. That latter comparison is exactly what will happen with Titanic 3D, too.I'm simply saying...wait until the weekend. Let's not start counting the chickens before the eggs have hatched. :)

That's not my point. Use any movie and have a good number be 10 million, people predict 15m as the floor and go on to predict 20 million with a final total of 60 million. This movie needs a 3x to get to 60m. Actuals come in and the movie only makes 12m for the weekend, it's still above 10m (the real cut-off of a good performance) but under all the hype. The people overpredicting come in and say "It's great! Still will hit 60m/etc" But, now it needs 5x to get to 60m which is clearly harder. I'm pretty sure no one here predicted a $4.75m Wednesday. Doesn't matter if it's good, all the excuses are already on show. "It's 3 hours/etc etc" hindsight talk, justifications and whatnot. If you had always predicted that number, fine, but I'm sure 99% of people posting did not.

i expect a 40%+ Sunday drop, film was posting 50% drops back in 98, even over Easter, but times are different, it won't be increasing on Saturday this time round.

Neo's prediction in November:I'll look for other high expectation predictions, this is definitely on the lower end of what was predicted.

And why would you take Neo's prediction seriously?