Kalo

The Wheel of Time | Amazon Prime | Adaption of Robert Jordan's expansive fantasy epic

Couldn't find a thread for this. so I weaved this one together. ;)

Series premieres  Nov 19th on Amazon Prime Video. 

Cast:

Rosamund Pike as Moiraine 

Josha Stradowski as Rand Al'Thor

Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara

Zoë Robins as Nynaeve

Barney Harris As Mat Cauthon 

Madeleine Madden as Egwene Al'Vere

Daniel Henney  al'Lan Mandragoran

• Like 1

There is a new poster released for this series. 

the-wheel-of-time-new-poster.jpg?q=50&fi

I wish it was giving off more Lord of the Rings vibes and less "Eragon"

Hopefully it is just a bad poster. it is not even clear! amazon can do better than this!

Trailer was still decent lets hope this is the start of a great series.

Edited by Kalo

4 hours ago, Kalo said:

There is a new poster released for this series. 

the-wheel-of-time-new-poster.jpg?q=50&fi

I wish it was giving off more Lord of the Rings vibes and less "Eragon"

Hopefully it is just a bad poster. it is not even clear! amazon can do better than this!

Trailer was still decent lets hope this is the start of a great series.

Yeah terrible poster but I liked the trailer. We should get a new trailer from the Comic-Con panel tomorrow (just a guess, no leak or anything). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

A Wheel of Time score, for me, should be sort of reminiscent of LOTR-type fantasy music, but with more modern inflections reflecting the tonal mix of the series. This does that well. 

Makes since, WoT is technically a renaissance fantasy. not medieval like Lotr. I hope they can portray that well in the show. it's obviously not real world so the difference would be more subtle, but they should still be pretty prominent. Shadow and Bone did the industrial age (mid 1800s) very well. although I have yet to read that book. 

• Like 1

Hmm. Something feels off about it. I do think from this brief clip that they've gotten the Emond's field characters fairly well, the short interactions feel true to the books. But the lighting looks weird and everyone seems very grim for the day before a festival. Also Moiraine isn't hiding the fact that she's an Aes Sedai which is a weird change from the books. It also feels very much like those medieval fantasy shows on Netflix, which a WoT show shouldn't imo. But I will reserve judgment until we get full context. 

Edited by Menor

On 10/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, Menor said:

Hmm. Something feels off about it. I do think from this brief clip that they've gotten the Emond's field characters fairly well, the short interactions feel true to the books. But the lighting looks weird and everyone seems very grim for the day before a festival. Also Moiraine isn't hiding the fact that she's an Aes Sedai which is a weird change from the books. It also feels very much like those medieval fantasy shows on Netflix, which a WoT show shouldn't imo. But I will reserve judgment until we get full context. 

Yeah, they changed some stuff about her intro. I don't love it. I heard the showrunner say it was important to stick to the heart of the series, rather then sticking close to the books, which worries me. I mean sure its a planned 8 seasons out of 14 books. some stuff has too be trimmed. but there is already quite a bit off filler in the series. you don't have to change a ton of stuff just trim off the fat. makes me worried. it will still probably be above average for a fantasy show though (I hope)

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

So they're changing Emond's Field and just calling the village the Two Rivers? This is a small change but feels really baffling and annoying. I think people are smart enough to understand the difference between a region and a town. 

• Like 1

Visuals look good in this one, better than what we've seen previously. Shadar Logoth seems like it will be nice. And I was loving it right up until the end, when (spoilers for the books in case someone is reading through this thread later):

Spoiler

They seem to include Egwene as one of the candidates to be the Dragon Reborn? That is a really baffling change to make. They know the Dragon Reborn is a saidin channeler! That's what makes him such a scary prospect to the world! Hopefully this is just a misdirect for marketing. 

Looks epic. hopefully they aren't changing too much with the gender dynamics.(spoiler ahead if you haven't read the books) 

all males being cursed who can channel is integral to the plot of the story. and is part of why it's so unique and Moraine didn't just flat out tell them one of them was the "Dragon reborn." and I'm pretty sure that they had to be "male". What I think they are doing is misdirecting making it look like Egwene is that person is the dragon. Which might piss off certain demographics once they find out it's a male white dude. kind of like them misdirecting with Finn in Force Awakens although that was worse bc they totally side-lined his character and made him do almost nothing, at least Egwene is major character who does play a prominent role in the series. why couldn't possibly switch it to her could they? it would fundamentally change the story and ruin in imo.  and piss off like everyone who has read WoT. (End of Spoilers) it does look really cool, Rosamind Pike looks dope as moraine. as long as they don't change those things i discussed I should like it alot.    

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Looks epic. hopefully they aren't changing too much with the gender dynamics.(spoiler ahead if you haven't read the books) 

all males being cursed who can channel is integral to the plot of the story. and is part of why it's so unique and Moraine didn't just flat out tell them one of them was the "Dragon reborn." and I'm pretty sure that they had to be "male". What I think they are doing is misdirecting making it look like Egwene is that person is the dragon. Which might piss off certain demographics once they find out it's a male white dude. kind of like them misdirecting with Finn in Force Awakens although that was worse bc they totally side-lined his character and made him do almost nothing, at least Egwene is major character who does play a prominent role in the series. why couldn't possibly switch it to her could they? it would fundamentally change the story and ruin in imo.  and piss off like everyone who has read WoT. (End of Spoilers) it does look really cool, Rosamind Pike looks dope as moraine. as long as they don't change those things i discussed I should like it alot.    

Spoiler

I'm 100% sure Rand will be the Dragon Reborn, and I do think it's fairly likely that the DR will still be prophesied to be male in the show.  Imo, it's just misdirection for marketing purposes, or Moiraine might be using some Aes Sedai wording on Egwene. 

As you mentioned, if they actually switched to Egwene, pretty much every book fan would turn off the show. No way they would do that. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Menor said:
  Hide contents

I'm 100% sure Rand will be the Dragon Reborn, and I do think it's fairly likely that the DR will still be prophesied to be male in the show.  Imo, it's just misdirection for marketing purposes, or Moiraine might be using some Aes Sedai wording on Egwene. 

As you mentioned, if they actually switched to Egwene, pretty much every book fan would turn off the show. No way they would do that. 

Yeah, you're probably right. it is kind of difficult to explain all that in trailers so this is a more simple way to get casual viewers interested most likely. 

I definitely think Moraine is using Aes Sedai wording of bring truthful but not honest.

"One of you five" is 100% true because it is one of the five. It's just leaving out that two of them don't actually qualify in the first place.

• Like 2