Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

8 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

It's likely to be an almost carbon copy of the first film. The reason is there's a sizable minority of critics who simply cannot stand sci-fi (and/or fantasy), especially the films which take themselves seriously.

Then there are the ones who reflexively push back against any big Hollywood films, even those made with impeccable craft.

I will be surprised if any of those critics suddenly reevaluate the films, no matter how much more intense or impressive in their individual elements.

During LOTR even those who ended up warming up to the trilogy did so begrudgingly, and to my knowledge never went back to reassess Fellowship or Towers. 

No not really, the first film was likely a lot more heavy on worldbuilding than this one, and this one will likely have more action and a more satisfying ending.

28 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

No not really, the first film was likely a lot more heavy on worldbuilding than this one, and this one will likely have more action and a more satisfying ending.

Yes, but those qualities will only tend to matter for critics who already liked or loved the first film and were already looking forward to Part Two. 

I expect the number of professional, published critics who will go "wow, this is a big improvement" and "I get it now" will be countable on one hand.

1 hour ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Yes, but those qualities will only tend to matter for critics who already liked or loved the first film and were already looking forward to Part Two. 

I expect the number of professional, published critics who will go "wow, this is a big improvement" and "I get it now" will be countable on one hand.

I don’t think it needs to win over more critics, it just needs to win over new viewers and people who were lukewarm on the first one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t think it needs to win over more critics, it just needs to win over new viewers and people who were lukewarm on the first one.

Will be an interesting study to see just how much of that happens. But audiences are going to do what they do, regardless of the praise. The first film already did more than well enough for pro critics and awards, so it's mostly going to amount to background noise. 

2 hours ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

It's likely to be an almost carbon copy of the first film. The reason is there's a sizable minority of critics who simply cannot stand sci-fi (and/or fantasy), especially the films which take themselves seriously.

Arrival was Sci Fi, took itself very seriously, had the same director as this one and got stellar reviews pretty much across the board. The critic pool has become much more varied in the last decade or so, I really don't think there's as much genre bias as it used to 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Arrival was Sci Fi, took itself very seriously, had the same director as this one and got stellar reviews pretty much across the board. The critic pool has become much more varied in the last decade or so, I really don't think there's as much genre bias as it used to 

ARRIVAL is a very different film though. If you look up DUNE's Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores, you'll see plenty of mixed to negative reviews although they are the minority. That minority is likely durable for Part Two. That's an educated guess but I'll be happy to be wrong, since critics do have some effect even if it's small. 

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

SO Worldbuuilkding is fancy word for "Exposition".

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:04 AM, ChipDerby said:

This Dune trilogy is going to be the Lord of the Rings of this generation.

No , it won't....and I Really liked the first film and ma huge fan of the Herbert novel. Dune one was a sucess, but not nearly at the level of "FOTR".

On 2/13/2024 at 2:11 PM, TomThomas said:

Ehhh... Unless it makes a billion, part 2 gets over 8.4 imdb and wins in a bunch of major Oscars categories.

This. I loved the first film and am looking forward ot the next two, but no way will be the kind of massive hit the LOTR films were. Just not in the cards.

But I am glad, after two failures; (the 1983 film and the 90's TV miniseries" to finally get a good film of Dune on the screen.

• Like 1

Just saw an early screening of it. I'll have more thoughts on it later but my initial impression is I really loved it and it was an incredible experience. You have to see it on the biggest screen possible. This is the very definition of epic. Villeneuve's direction is very apparent with how much is going on and how big it all feels. 

I can't really compare the first movie and this one because the first Dune was world building and essentially preparing for this movie. Without Part 1, Part 2 wouldn't feel as epic. The second movie kicks everything up a notch from the action to drama. Chalamet was wonderful and did a great job being the lead. Right sense of power and vulnerability while buying into the stakes for him. Everyone brought their A game.

The OST was some astounding work, Hans Zimmer really outdid himself by building upon the themes from the first movie. There's a lot of wicked shots and stunning cinematography. I was asking myself how are they going to top themselves with this scene, then the next shot comes along wowing me yet again. The effects combined with how real the world feels is well done. 

Going to rewatch it in IMAX for sure when it's released.

Marketing did a good job hinting at the awe-inspiring scenes in the trailers without showing them. 

• Like 19
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 3

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

3 hours ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

I think you both have a point but the disagreement is just to which length the critics negative bias still exists and how much it matters in the end. Based on the insights on Part 2 so far it seems to have a chance to be more accessible for wider audiences than Part 1 but we'll see how much.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This. I loved the first film and am looking forward ot the next two, but no way will be the kind of massive hit the LOTR films were. Just not in the cards.

But I am glad, after two failures; (the 1983 film and the 90's TV miniseries" to finally get a good film of Dune on the screen.

I think we overanalyze the original comparison here that was probably an enthusiastic take and dream of what this could be. Sure, the odds might be very much against but can we at least hope for it?

Dune Part 2 and then Messiah have a chance to hit certain notes in our zeitgeist which I'm not so fan of. While the original Star Wars was the epitome of individualistic transcendentalism wrapped in a specatular hero's journey (yeah, now I'm trying to sound smarter than I am) and LOTR a timeless archetypal story of friendship, heroism, and fight against evil, Dune ultimately is a terrible antihero story filled with cynism against heros, rulers, religion, and government.

On paper at least, this could hit a cord with our zeitgeist. Though there is a chance that it serves two audiences at the same time badly: those who crave for heroic acts and fights between good and evil (Part 2) and those who don't believe in heroes but see everything tainted, cynically, even nihilistic (Messiah).

It definitely will be interesting to see how these movies will gather new audience before Messiah and after. It might grow to a significance of SW and LOTR even if the initial audience numbers don't show it.

...and now I overanalyzed the hell out of this instead of just having fun with it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Just saw an early screening of it. I'll have more thoughts on it later but my initial impression is I really loved it and it was an incredible experience. You have to see it on the biggest screen possible. This is the very definition of epic. Villeneuve's direction is very apparent with how much is going on and how big it all feels. 

I can't really compare the first movie and this one because the first Dune was world building and essentially preparing for this movie. Without Part 1, Part 2 wouldn't feel as epic. The second movie kicks everything up a notch from the action to drama. Chalamet was wonderful and did a great job being the lead. Right sense of power and vulnerability while buying into the stakes for him. Everyone brought their A game.

The OST was some astounding work, Hans Zimmer really outdid himself by building upon the themes from the first movie. There's a lot of wicked shots and stunning cinematography. I was asking myself how are they going to top themselves with this scene, then the next shot comes along wowing me yet again. The effects combined with how real the world feels is well done. 

Going to rewatch it in IMAX for sure when it's released.

Marketing did a good job hinting at the awe-inspiring scenes in the trailers without showing them. 

Feb 29th 6pm...

Seeing the Part 1 in IMAX for the first time last Monday was an amazing experience and the preview with the trailer bits left me shaking and ready for this. Let's go!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

On paper at least, this could hit a cord with our zeitgeist. Though there is a chance that it serves two audiences at the same time badly: those who crave for heroic acts and fights between good and evil (Part 2) and those who don't believe in heroes but see everything tainted, cynically, even nihilistic (Messiah).

It definitely will be interesting to see how these movies will gather new audience before Messiah and after. It might grow to a significance of SW and LOTR even if the initial audience numbers don't show it.

...and now I overanalyzed the hell out of this instead of just having fun with it.

Really well stated, actually. But it makes me a little apprehensive about how DV will adapt MESSIAH. Without getting spoilery, it's not that I think he'll water down (ha) anything major, but if he tries to leave the ending either too open or closed depending on what Legendary decides to do, it may not work so well. He has to strike the right chord, and the chord of "Dune 3" is much more complex than Part Two. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Chalamet was wonderful and did a great job being the lead. Right sense of power and vulnerability while buying into the stakes for him. Everyone brought their A game.

This is particularly a relief for Zendaya/Chani. I actually liked her performance in Part One, but there was so much complaining, some of which was an outgrowth of her being in so little of it. If the romance between her and Paul works, it could really elevate the film and get that true "four quadrant" audience action going. It's why the advertising has emphasized that aspect so much (plus the compelling presence of Irulan/Florence Pugh), because a heavy male skew in the audience won't take the performance to its ultimate potential. 

• Like 2

We will not see that much of Pugh as Irulan in Dune 2, but in Dune Messiah/Dune 3 she plays a major role...which is why Pugh signed on for what if the book is followed a  fairly small role. Irluan also plays a major role in Children of Dune.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

This is particularly a relief for Zendaya/Chani. I actually liked her performance in Part One, but there was so much complaining, some of which was an outgrowth of her being in so little of it. 

Chani in this movie definitely gets more to do compared with in the book where she's basically just an object for Paul to react to. I thought the two had good chemistry. Enough to get out the four quadrant? No idea but Chalamet is at the moment riding high because of Wonka and I think that might help out Dune Part 2's BO a bit. Especially if they market this and the critical reception right. 

Spoiler

Paul in the movie also uses her as a springboard for ideas and she reacts regarding her people getting enslaved to the prophecy. Creates this interesting dynamic that wasn't in the book. Also the movie shows her being a badass in her own right. 

• Like 4