filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Even if ABC didn't care about the ceremony length, they would have found a way to work in a performance of super popular song from a nominated movie. I mean, they had a Queen (with Adam Lambert!) medley start the show in the year of Bohemian Rhapsody. At least "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is a new song from a 2021 movie. I think most if not all of the Original Song contenders are slow songs, so none really work for kicking off the show like "Can't Stop the Feeling". Though they are likely going to hold back the Bruno performance as long as possible, like Santa at the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

There are Twitter freakouts that "Dos Oruguitas" won't be performed, but Encanto is a Disney movie, so ABC won't cut it completely.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, filmlover said:

You just know that they're planning to make the "Dos Oruguitas" performance a big Encanto medley that way they can ride the soundtrack sensation wave. Bring back the "Presenters for Presenters" nonsense from the ceremony two years ago while they're still at it.

lol sorta kinda called it.

Also, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin are presenting the categories that won't be featured in the telecast beforehand.

We don't have time for belowline categories, but because we want the ordinary viewer, we can find time to perform a song that isn't even nominated because it's a cultural hit.

I get it.

af4992b106ce0e0ab86d59909085e54eb22684a2

Are they gonna do a dance number? Is Diane Guerrero  going to descend from the sky?

6 minutes ago, Morieris said:

We don't have time for belowline categories, but because we want the ordinary viewer, we can find time to perform a song that isn't even nominated because it's a cultural hit.

I get it.

af4992b106ce0e0ab86d59909085e54eb22684a2

Are they gonna do a dance number? Is Diane Guerrero  going to descend from the sky?

I don't know if I want them to go all in on the cheese or put in a minimum effort like they did with the Enchanted performances (poor Amy all alone on the stage lol).

31 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

We're getting "a tribute to 60 years of James Bond" and "a Godfather celebration 50 years in the making", and more!

Real time savers there... /s

A short, simple guide to the preferential ballot, from the Academy:

They are really chasing that mythical "lapsed Oscar viewer". Didn't they do a 50 years of Bond as well in 2012? Or was that planned and then didn't happen, instead we got the theme song of Goldfinger.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

They are really chasing that mythical "lapsed Oscar viewer". Didn't they do a 50 years of Bond as well in 2012? Or was that planned and then didn't happen, instead we got the theme song of Goldfinger.

I checked YouTube, and they had Halle Berry introduce a "Bond through the years" clip package, then Shirley Bassey sang Goldfinger. At least 50 or 60 years is an even number, unlike the random Dreamgirls tribute in 2013.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I can’t believe they really can’t pull off the 3 Spider-Men

Holland is busy shooting a project on the other side of the country right now, last thing they probably wanted was another awkward, incomplete reunion like when they had The Avengers minus ScarJo (who was on Broadway at the time) presenting the category the movie was up for (and lost).

It's Anonymous Oscar Ballot time!

Super click-baity headline, but this voter seems pretty thoughtful and well-informed about all the categories. And not a total jerk, just a bit snarky:

Original Song

This category is always full of snoozes. They did not submit the “Encanto” hit, which is a fuck up. Lin-Manuel Miranda is beloved, and will probably win, but this is not the buzzy song from that film. I like Billie Eilish but “No Time to Die” doesn’t do it for me. I loved Adele’s “Skyfall,” but this one is only marginally better than the Sam Smith one, which was so unmemorable for me. Eilish will still win, I think. There’s some weird ones in here, like Diane Warren’s 40th nomination, but voters haven’t seen that movie. She won’t win until she’s paired up with a film people have seen.

For the record, the voter thinks The Power of the Dog is well-made but didn't connect with it, and finds the Netflix ad campaign in L.A. excessive.

Now I can finally go to bed but shhhiiittttt. The warning signs were there re: The Power of the Dog being highly vulnerable. A Netflix movie is never winning Best Picture lmao.

Encanto also won Animated Feature, meaning that race is unsurprisingly all wrapped up now.