Eric the Ape

Drive My Car | Janus Films | Best Picture nominee from Ryusuke Hamaguchi | Comes to HBO Max March 2nd

Hamaguchi is in Berlin film festival now, shouldn’t he be in LA and promote his film? DMC is the true underdog of the season, a film coming from unknown director even among cinephile, distributed by super indie company janus, without access to streaming and doing sub1m box office, yet when people saw it, they really love it and take to their very core of the heart. A victory that I will say the biggest since parasite and we thought parasite is a once in few decades thing

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/drive-my-car-success-sideshow-criterion-1234698888/?fbclid=IwAR1CCPA03mLY09gk64_z_CfLYgbgPzTAsX6RoyBYgGsqzZcTWOYUD2KBt8c

When “Drive My Car” received four Oscar nominations this week, it represented a triumph of arthouse cinema at a moment when it could really use the boost. The Academy might have wished that one of the 10 Best Picture slots went to James Bond or Spider-Man, but Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s three-hour adaptation of a Haruki Murakami short story has become a better case study for what it takes to keep the movie business alive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sometime I am really really impressed by the way neon handle non English film, from their historical win of parasite to the portrait of fire lady and this year worst person in the world and flee, they can hit quite impressive box office and award mark for a lot of their non English film . At this rate the worst person will beat DMC for sure despite not a major contender

Edited by titanic2187

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Sometime I am really really impressed by the way neon handle non English film, from their historical win of parasite to the portrait of fire lady and this year worst person in the world and flee, they can hit quite impressive box office and award mark for a lot of their non English film 

They fucked up with Portrait tho

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They fucked up with Portrait tho

The movie made 3.8m without single Oscar nomination. That is actually a lot even for some non English Oscar contender. And that number can be a lot higher if it wasn’t cut short by pandemic which disrupted their further expansion plan