Eric is Quiet

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

59 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

No joke though lol. Her desperate and cringe worthy campaign behavior, which included endless purchased articles and social media posts from the likes of Variey and The Hollywood Reporter touting her surefire Oscar win, is likely what convinced Academy members to not give her an (already undeserved) Oscar nomination for HoG.

I just didn't get her strategy at all. It seems obvious other voters in the acting branch would potentially resent a pop singer being in awards contention again. You can see some Anonymous Ballot person being like,  "She gets nominated every time she makes a movie? It's not fair!" Also, she's already won an Oscar, even if it's not for acting, but it shines on a mantle/bookshelf the same way, so were they really ever all that desperate to crown her Best Actress right now? IMO, the way to counteract any industry backlash about her continued movie success was to publicly position herself as humble and let the work speak for itself.  They all campaign, but it's about finding a Goldilocks approach: voters have to know you care, but not so much that it seems tryhard.

Now, if her goal was to throw out so much fresh PR chum this time around, that the media wouldn't really bother with reexamining her antics (and their fallout) from her last awards season go round...job well done.

There hasn't been a shortage of Batman depictions in the last decade, plus this is a long, rebooted "gritty" approach, the OW is fine.

6 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

What was the budget for Uncharted? Barely passing $100m domestic for a tentplole was considered a big failure not long ago.

In this pandemic crossing 100m for this kind of movie is like hitting 200m and before the pandemic, movies from games weren't doing that good and were mostly lucky to make 100m except for few movies. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not anymore lol. It making 100m right now is it like making 100 mil before the pandemic.

Yeah of course the industry is recovering now, but it's still not yet guaranteed, i believe. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

The DC Heroes ad before The Batman actually kind of got me hyped for the rest of DC's stuff this year. I think superpets could break out more than most kids films have during the pandemic (say, 40/130M). Black Adam will be more of a Shazam sized hit but that's still pretty solid. Flash I think could break out especially if some of the rumours are true, and while I hated the first Aquaman, The Lost Kingdom will probably be a hit as well. 

I still think Flash and Aquaman’s current release dates are ridiculous. Putting Flash a week before and Aquaman the same day as the two biggest films for the year makes it seem like Warner wants to fail. Especially Aquaman, since it will get the short straw of PLFs compared to Avatar

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I still think Flash and Aquaman’s current release dates are ridiculous. Putting Flash a week before and Aquaman the same day as the two biggest films for the year makes it seem like Warner wants to fail. Especially Aquaman, since it will get the short straw of PLFs compared to Avatar

Aquaman will move once the first trailer for A2 releases and WB knows it's for real coming out 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Aquaman will move once the first trailer for A2 releases and WB knows it's for real coming out 

That would be the smart move. March or April 2023 is open enough for it. 

As for Flash, it needs to move onto Labor Day Weekend (once BP:WF is truly confirmed to not be moving.)

Edited by PenguinXXR

Just now, Krissykins said:

No Way Home not hitting digital until its 14th weekend? 

That’s got to be the longest time with sole theatrical exclusivity in ages? 

Licorice Pizza went digital to purchase on Tuesday and this weekend was its 15th

West Side Story hit Disney+ this week and its week 13