Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

So what movie will break the OW record?

In 2013? I'm not sure, we always see some surprises : John Carter broke the OD record this year : $6m...So I hope for a surprise :)-The Hobbit 2 could have a shot given it's a sequel-Iron Man 3 will surprise-Monsters University could be a master card given it has no competition from Ice Age and Madagascar, kids will want their animated movie of the year.-Oz the Great and Powerful has a shot given Russians love this kind of movie.-Man of Steel? It's unlikely but why not?-Thor was the most successful SH movie before The Avengers, and benefit from the Avengers effect, it could surprise us.-The Hunger Games Catching Fire? I've no idea but it could have a Twilight fate, with increases over the years.

Posted Image

Given the year is over I can say the biggest surprises in Russia this year are :

-The Avengers : Given the gross of previous SH movies $43m is clearly unexpected, and given the real improvement for Batman and TASM over previous movies of their franchise it's probably the beginning of a new era, Russians will like SH movies now because the Russian youth learned to like them, don't forget they couldn't know comics before because of the Soviet Union and the crisis in the 90s. Iron Man 3 could surprise us a lot because of the Avengers effect (beyond $30m, I feel it), I'm less optimistic about Man of Steel, $20m would be great.

-John Carter : a worldwide flop (it's a shame, I liked it, the advertising from Disney sucked) but a Rusian success, the second biggest OS market behind China. And John Carter has the OD record :)

-MIB3 : MIB was popular there, but so much? $36m is a terrific gross, unexpected :D

-Cloud Atlas : nobody expected $15m here given it's a real flop DOM and WW. Russians can like different movies.

-Ted : most successful US comedy.

• Like 1