Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

It will be interesting to see how high China can go, it has already gone to a level we haven't seen before from an OS market, and it is still growing quickly.

Well, it's already the number one OS market, it won't go higher on this list :lol:

I'm personally more interested in new markets far from their potential, with a lot of room to grow such as Indonesia, Brazil,Mexico or Colombia because no matter how high China goes it will be unpredictable and limited as long as the number of foreign movies is limited in number or in content (censorship)...These new markets are democracies, they don't have these limitations or unpredictability or low returns on investments you can find in dictatorships, they're much more open.

This is also the reason foreign direct investment started to dwindle in China recently, given attacks against foreign entities (-47% from Japanese firms in July, -17% from the US / European firms), that's not a market easy to deal with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

New page, so I re-post it :

Posted Image

THE 20 BIGGEST OS MARKETS

1. China $3.6B

2. Japan $2.4B

3. United Kingdom $1.7B

4. France $1.6B

5. India $1.5B

6. South Korea $1.4B

7. Russia $1.4B

8. Germany $1.3B

9. Australia $1.1B

10. Mexico $0.9B

11. Brazil $0.9B

12. Italy $0.8B

13. Spain $0.7B

14. Argentina $0.4B

15. Netherlands $0.3B

16. Turkey $0.3B

17. Taiwan $0.3B

18. Sweden $0.2B

19. Switzerland $0.2B

20. Malaysia $0.2B

Interesting top don't you think? Thanks to Screen Digest we have some insight, and these numbers match Henry's ones ;)

What can we expect in the next few years?

-Well, Mexico and Brazil will pass Australia and Germany.Mexico seems to have a faster growth than Brazil as a market, which reflects the economic health of those countries with a slow-growing Brazil and a dynamic Mexican, it's interesting to see Mexico is a bit ahead in size given their population : 118m in Mexico and 201m in Brazil...However that doesn't mean Brazil won't grow : with a growth around 10% a year it's a healthy and promising market, enough to pass France, UK and Russia on the long run.

-Russia is a different animal : the market growth clearly slowed this year in dollars, that could reflect its stagnant economy, and a recession is likely with already ominous stats : fall of 23% of car sales in July 2014 over July 2013 for example.And demographics are not helping at all. Let's hope it will be able to grow in the near future, there is potential to compete with France and the UK at a minimum.

-Switzerland, Sweden and Taiwan will probably get out this top in a few years, giving way to rising and promising markets such as Indonesia, Colombia and Venezuela.

-Turkey is a pretty unknown market, we don't know much about it, but it could be able to pass Spain and Italy in a few years, at some point it will become a sizable market.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

Well, it's already the number one OS market, it won't go higher on this list :lol:

I'm personally more interested in new markets far from their potential, with a lot of room to grow such as Indonesia, Brazil,Mexico or Colombia because no matter how high China goes it will be unpredictable and limited as long as the number of foreign movies is limited in number or in content (censorship)...These new markets are democracies, they don't have these limitations or unpredictability or low returns on investments you can find in dictatorships, they're much more open.

This is also the reason foreign direct investment started to dwindle in China recently, given attacks against foreign entities (-47% from Japanese firms in July, -17% from the US / European firms), that's not a market easy to deal with.

China is still growing quickly, so it still hasn't reached its potential. And while people may complain about censorship in China almost all the big Hollywood films get released there (and plenty of other smaller films), and when they do, China is usually the films biggest OS market. I understand that you don't like their politics and government, I'm not a great fan of them myself, but you can't ignore a market where this year had a film make more than 300M, more than anywhere else this year, including domestic. Another advantage that China has is that we actually get daily numbers, which is more than you can say for almost all the other foreign markets.

Following the Chinese market though doesn't take away from following other growing markets, obviously the markets you listed are important as well, or hopefully will be in the future.

• Like 3

China is still growing quickly, so it still hasn't reached its potential. And while people may complain about censorship in China almost all the big Hollywood films get released there (and plenty of other smaller films), and when they do, China is usually the films biggest OS market. I understand that you don't like their politics and government, I'm not a great fan of them myself, but you can't ignore a market where this year had a film make more than 300M, more than anywhere else this year, including domestic. Another advantage that China has is that we actually get daily numbers, which is more than you can say for almost all the other foreign markets.

Following the Chinese market though doesn't take away from following other growing markets, obviously the markets you listed are important as well, or hopefully will be in the future.

I don't intend to ignore the Chinese market, that would be stupid, and I'm excited about the gross of The Avengers 2 and GOTG there :lol:  What I mean is I can't admire a market system which is unfair and disloyal, I still remember when they released TASM and TDKR the same week in the intent of undercuting them and I really didn't like it.

Are Brazil and Mexico big markets? Not yet but the potential is huge if we take their demographics and their current size : Brazil could become twice bigger than the current Japanese market in the long run and given how impressive the Japanese market can be sometimes (Frozen, Avatar, Toy Story 3..) it could be particularly enjoyable, and a very weak local market big numbers will be more likely.In the future movies beyond $100m won't be a rare occurence there.

Mexico could become a bit bigger than Japan so it's important.

Indonesia is similar to Brazil in terms of potential, it could even be bigger. Colombia and Turkey have the potential to compete with France and the UK in the long run, Hollywood wouldn't complain :lol:

This is what I've found early this year on deadline.com2013 2012 Difference China $3.60 B $2.81 B +28.0% UK $1.94 B $1.96 B -1.0% Japan $1.88 B $1.95 B -3.6% France $1.60 B $1.69 B -5.3% India $1.54 B $1.40 B +10.0% South Korea $1.49 B $1.40 B +6.5% Germany $1.30 B $1.53 B -15.0% Russia $1.30 B $1.20 B +8.0% Australia $0.97 B $0.98 B -5.0% Mexico $0.93 B $0.81 B +15.3% Italy $0.84 B $0.83 B +1.5% Brazil $0.83 B $0.78 B +6.1% Spain $0.68 B $0.79 B -15.0% Also I remember Corpse said that the japanese box office was again less than $2B in 2013

Great job Henry :DDifferent sources,different numbers ^^'I don't like this Brazilian number,+6% is way too weak for such a market :( you can see the economy took a hit.This year will be closer to 10%.
  • Like 2

WTF!

I don't understand, it's one of its most important markets....We just have this :

In its 2nd frame, Expendables 3 continued runs in Russia and Spain via Universal adding $1.6M at 1,315 dates. The cume in both markets is now $9.4M. Russia added $1.2M at 1,021 dates for an 11-day total of $6.3M. Spain brought in $454K at 294 dates for a 10-day gross of $3.1M. Italy opens on Sept 4. Via Fox, Expendables 3 earned $4M in Germany and Austria. The latter, from whence star Arnold Schwarzenegger hails, was a No. 1 debut. Germany, with $3.44M, fell in just behind Lucy for No. 2.