Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Alice 2 will end with $9m while Warcraft will end around 6m-6.5m.

Ninja Turtles 2 will end around $5m. Angry Birds ended its run with $7m.

X-Men Apocalypse is near the end with $18m, I thought $20m was possible but it fell more than I thought..Still a good performance though with such an ER, only juggernauts like Captain America and Avengers can pass $30m these days, SW7 would be at $30m-31m with today's rate.

• Like 3

Disney / Pixar Animated Movies in US Dollars

Tangled : 24.3m

Toy Story 3 : 23.6m

Frozen : 21.7m

Wreck-it Ralph : 17m

Brave : 16.7m

Cars 2 : 16.6m

Monsters University : 16.5m

Inside Out : 13.9m

Big Hero 6 : 12.8m

The Good Dinosaur : 11.9m

Dinosaur : 11.3m

Zootopia : 10.6m

The Incredibles : 10.5m

Up : 10.5m

Finding Nemo : 9.6m

Cars : 8.2m

Wall-E : 6.3m

Monsters Inc : 5.8m

Enchanted : 5.3m

Bolt : 4.6m

Chicken Little : 4.5m

The Princess and the Frog : 4.1m

Lilo & Stitch : 3m

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Yes, all those Young Adult telenovelas-in-a-movie :D The Fault in the Stars, Papertown, Twilight, etc.

Well that's true, culturally speaking they fit in Brazil's cultural habits and tastes. :)

27 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Why? Harry Potter is well-linked by kids, teens, young adults, parents...It's not specifically a YA franchise.

The Harry Potter series created in young people here the passion for books, so I think it is responsible for other books to be so successful and to have many fans that will eventually lead to successful movie adaptations. At least for my generation, it all started with Harry Potter. For me and many of my friends it was our first book and we were all obsessed about the series while we were growing up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Harry Potter series created in young people here the passion for books, so I think it is responsible for other books to be so successful and to have many fans that will eventually lead to successful movie adaptations. At least for my generation, it all started with Harry Potter. For me and many of my friends it was our first book and we were all obsessed about the series while we were growing up.

It can't be a Young Adult franchise because so many discovered it as kids and teens, plus HP & Co are 10 in the first book they're not adult at all.

Twilight could be the pioneer of YA books because unlike HP it targeted a very specific demographics.

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

It can't be a Young Adult franchise because so many discovered it as kids and teens, plus HP & Co are 10 in the first book they're not adult at all.

Twilight could be the pioneer of YA books because unlike HP it targeted a very specific demographics.

No, sorry, Napoleon is completely right. Trust me, HP is what made kids and teens start reading over here, Twilight was just the continuation of what HP had started, I promise you that, I've lived through it, I should know.

Before HP exploded the book market here was riding an all-time low over here, kids and teens just didn't read anymore. HP really changed the whole complexion of the book market here, it single-handily revived the Brazilian market. There were a shit load of articles about that back then. Now the kids and teens have a reading culture and we have a strong YA market here all thanks to HP. Twilight wouldn't have been half as successful here without HP opening up the market. Hunger Games simply cemented the Brazilian market's reputation as a strong YA reader/consumer.

37 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

No, sorry, Napoleon is completely right. Trust me, HP is what made kids and teens start reading over here, Twilight was just the continuation of what HP had started, I promise you that, I've lived through it, I should know.

Before HP exploded the book market here was riding an all-time low over here, kids and teens just didn't read anymore. HP really changed the whole complexion of the book market here, it single-handily revived the Brazilian market. There were a shit load of articles about that back then. Now the kids and teens have a reading culture and we have a strong YA market here all thanks to HP. Twilight wouldn't have been half as successful here without HP opening up the market. Hunger Games simply cemented the Brazilian market's reputation as a strong YA reader/consumer.

Maybe in Brazil then, here in France reading was strong even before HP.

But I won't change my mind : YA means Young Adults, and HP never was about these young adults, it was way larger in terms of age. Maybe it helped to develop a market of young readers but HP has nothing in common with TFIOS, MBY, Twilight or THG. HP targets almost everyone, not only young adults.

When I started to read HP I was 14 so I wasn't a young adult, and I didn't read YA books after that, I was reading a lot before HP.

5 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Wow!!!  That list!!

I say this with love as a person married to a Brazilian woman and with 1/2 Brazilian kids, but they may have the worst taste in cinema of any country in the world!!!

Thats an absolutely terrible list!!

Are you talking about the Disney/Pixar list or the list of animated movies overall?

Having Tangled, Toy Story 3 and Frozen in the top 3 of Disney / Pixar movies there is not bad, they're all great.

The problem is none of these can be found in the top 10 of animated movies in Brazil, these movies are not very popular there and that's really sad! The exception was Finding Nemo in 2003, that's why Finding Dory could really surprise, I expect a lot from this!

Independence Day 2 grossed R$10.2m, in USD that gives us $3m OW. It got slightly more than Me Before You in its second week (R$9.7m)

I expect worse numbers, while $3m is clearly a disappointing start for such a movie there was no need to hide it that way, it's not a complete disaster.

I expect it to end under $8m.

• Like 1

With R$64.5m X-Men Apocalypse finally passed DOFP (64.4m), so the honor is safe :P Brazil did the job ;)

However it's far behind in USD ($18.3m vs 27m) and a bit behind in admissions.

It's still a victory of sort :lol:

In local currency X-Men Apocalypse is the 27th biggest movie just behind Rio. Frozen is the only Disney / Pixar animated movie in the top 50 (45th).

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3