Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

A few weeks ago I posted about Cinépolis changing their image and creating a whole new and futurist concept for most of their complexes in first-tier cities.

Cinemex is launching a new concept too, although this isn't exactly about more and more automatized-based processes but is based on more concessions offer. 

https://www.sopitas.com/entretenimiento/cine/cinemex-market-el-cine-que-siempre-sonaste/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cinemex Market is a new concept which is based on strategical alliances with external companies for a bigger offer of products that complement the experience. Said alliances are with companies like Starbucks, Häägen Dasz, Hooters and Moshi Moshi.

First complex of this style already opened in Artz Pedregal, located at south of Mexico City.

• Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Cinemex Market is a new concept which is based on strategical alliances with external companies for a bigger offer of products that complement the experience. Said alliances are with companies like Starbucks, Häägen Dasz, Hooters and Moshi Moshi.

I'd love a decent jocho with my movie! Not sure about the chicken wings, those seats will have to be cleaned thoroughly every night.

:sparta:

8 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

I'd love a decent jocho with my movie! Not sure about the chicken wings, those seats will have to be cleaned thoroughly every night.

:sparta:

It should be a hard work, especially since are 23 screens and all of them with reclinable seats.

It's definitely an interesting moment right now for exhibition industry in Mexico. New concepts from both chains and growth of premium formats, laser projection and even one of those Samsung Onyx LED screen (first one opened a few months ago in Perisur, the top location in the country).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

With admissions stalling, I'm sure theatre chains are looking to increase ticket prices by improving the experience.

How's the buzz for Hobbs & Shaw? Another 500M+ lc?

And they're also expanding more and more to low-tier cities with small but fine complexes of 5-6 screens. They're covering all types of market, and that's great.

Right now I'm thinking more on $450M+ but we'll see how it goes. First trailer (the Super Bowl one) was surpassed by hype of Endgame and Toy Story 4 spots.

48 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Cant wait to see Eg and Toy Story 4 run here! 

Starting March 29th is going to be very exciting between non-summer blockbusters (Dumbo, Shazam, It Pt 2, Maleficent 2, Zombieland 2, Joker), summer releases (Endgame, TS4, TLK, Pika-Pika, Zilla, Spidey, Aladdin) and local releases (Complot Mongol, No Manches Frida 2).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top 50 All Time (lc)

37    456,422,886    How To Be a Latin Lover (2017)
38    456,202,985    Fast and Furious 6 (2013)

39    443,200,000    Captain Marvel (2019)
40    440,151,500    The Boss Baby (2017)
41    435,600,000    Transformers 4 (2014)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MARCH 15-17 WEEKEND. IN THE MIDDLE OF A NEW OPENERS STORM, CAPTAIN MARVEL PULLS ONE OF THE BEST MCU HOLDS AND RETAINS #1. LOCAL OPENERS HAVE A CLOSE RACE FOR #2 AND #3. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 3 SPENDS ITS 8TH CONSECUTIVE WEEKEND AT TOP 10; SECOND ONE IN THE PAST YEAR AFTER BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.

Captain Marvel

- Still playing at 4,060 screens, running 36.83% above Black Panther and 2.16% above Iron Man 3 at the same point of release.

- 4th best second weekend for an MCU title only behind second frames of Infinity War, Avengers and Civil War.

- Is poised to reach $500M this Friday and might pass Black Panther’s total by Monday.

En Las Buenas y En Las Malas/ Como Novio de Pueblo

- Away from this year’s earlier hits Mirreyes Contra Godínez and La Boda de Mi Mejor Amigo. Almost on par with past year’s sleeper hit Hazta que la Boda Nos Separe. Both local films aim $60M but next weekend opens Las Niñas Bien, an adult-oriented dramedy.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Captain Marvel $123.1 -49,83% $443.2 $22.77 2.1 7.6
2 En Las Buenas y en Las Malas $22.3   $22.3 $1.16 382.1K 382.1K
3 Como Novio de Pueblo $21.2   $21.2 $1.10 365.1K 365.1K
4 The Hole in The Ground $9.5   $9.5 $494K 179.1K 179.1K
5 Manou The Swift $5.15   $5.15 $267K 101.7K 101.7K
6 How To Train Your Dragon 3 $3.1 -58,10% $397.7 $20.68 65.5K 7.9
7 The Professor and the Madman $2.2   $2.2 $114K 29.6K 29.6K
8 Green Book $2.2 -62,06% $65.9 $3.36 30.5K 915.2K
9 Siembamba $2   $2 $104K 40.1K 40.1K
10 Beautiful Boy $1.8 -47,05% $7 $349K 22.4K 81.4K

This Friday opens: The Quake, A Dos Metros de Ti, Las Niñas Bien, Fighting With My Family, Backtrace, Ben is Back, The Atonin and Sergio & Sergei.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Captain Marvel really hold well. 600M is almost assured by now specially with the holiday on Monday and little competition until Dumbo on the 29th (why in god's name we will see US until May????)

It was great seeing both Mexican movies surviving (despite En las Buenas y en las Malas being such a bad movie)... I really want to see Las Niñas Bien it looks at least interesting and well acted.

So, how are you seeing Dumbo? Will it get to 120-130M OW? Less than 100M? I think everyone is at least a little bit excited for this one and we will have to see how Tim Burton does it this time, although apparently first reactions are good.

April will definitely be a strong month with Shazam, Pet Sementary, No Manches Frida 2, The Curse of La Llorona and of course the titan that wil AW:EG be. Can we have 4 weekends with 70+M openers?

• Like 1