Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Emotions not slowing down for Inside Out 2, humongous $66.4M total up to Monday.

Disputing second biggest Saturday ever with Toy Story 4 but Sunday is way tooooo close to call among Endgame and Toy Story 4 (1 and 2 respectively).

EDIT. Admissions-wise is on par with Toy Story 4's 3-Day opening - 7M which is already a large portion of first Inside Out's 10M total.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

JUNE 13-16 WEEKEND. 

1. Inside Out 2 - $550M

2. Bad Boys: Ride or Die - $48.3M/$165.7M (-42.57%)

3. The Strangers: Chapter I - $7.4M

4. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - $4.3M/$332.8M (-70.34%)

5. If - $2.9M/$166.5M (-84.9%)

6. Immaculate - $2.7M/$57.4M (-76.52%)

7. The Watchers - $2.3M/$17.7M (-78.9%)

8. Furiosa - $1.7M/$101.6M (-80.68%)

9. Garfield - $1M/$348.1M (-92.19%)

10. Sci-Fi Cinemex* - $0.78M

Is hard to talk about Inside Out's milestones considering the changes we've been through since the pandemic, but considering a pure 4-Day:

• Biggest 4-Day opening ever in lc surpassing Multiverse of Madness (+31.26%) which is inflated by Wednesday night previews.
  • Second biggest 4-Day opening ever in admissions: 7.1M only below Age of Ultron (-1.53%!)
  • Highest 4-Day opening ever for an animation in both lc and admissions surpassing Rise of Gru and first Minions respectively (+237.19% and +46.09%)
  • Highest 4-Day opening in June surpassing Jurassic World: Dominion (+57.67%)
  • Second widest release for Pixar: 5,372 screens. Below 5,580 for Toy Story 4.
  • Third largest Saturday and Sunday ever ($150M/$173M) only behind those of Endgame and Toy Story 4.
  • Biggest non-opening Friday ever: $122M.
  • Highest ATP for a family release: $77 lc

If we include 5-Day and 3-Day is equally impressive considering it outgrossed Super Mario Bros' 5-Day which was already inflated by holidays and 3-Day is only comparable to Toy Story 4 when it comes to animation and to the final two Avengers installments including overall titles.

We shall see where it goes from here; unless it has a Dory-type of run it will enjoy decent legs to challenge Toy Story 4 ($1.37B) as Pixar's No. 1 in lc and by WOM, seems like will do it. Admissions-wise it will be a nail-bitter for 20M+ but still would be a great result; 3rd best for Pixar and 4th best overall for animation.

Supported by Father's Day and a great WOM, Bad Boys 4 was the only title to survive the Pixar phenomenon and had a tremendous hold. Looks like will manage to reach For Life as it keeps the godwill of the franchise.

Everything else just got too damaged even if it wasn't direct competition. Poor Garfield almost vanished but should survive just enough to cross $350M.

* - Sci-Fi Cinemex is a special cycle of re-issues for representative sci-fi movies. Is currently showing Paprika, Cowboy Bebop and Akira. No breakdown by title.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Insane performance,feel like what Toy story 4 crush everything in LA that year

Funny story for both is that they released without any sort of previews or midnights and in the middle of a holidayless season which makes it more impressive.

I was expecting the Inside Out 2/Despicable Me 4 showdown to be a lot closer than it will be but there seems like will be a considerable gap as Gru and its minions target slightly lower results as Rise of Gru. If anything, this has proven to be a pretty consistent franchise a la Jurassic World or Avatar.

As for what could rival Riley and her emotions we have left Deadpool & Wolverine which is tracking to open on par with previous Marvel multiverse fest Multiverse of Madness. Historically late July tends to be a front-loaded ballpark for record-breaking releases from Deathly Hallows Part II to Barbie going through The Lion King so this needs a massive opening to ensure sweet $1B but it doesn't look easy. First ones had a great reception and having Hugh Jackman this time around will do it a great favour.

However, on several metrics the Marvel Studios mega bet has been surpassed by Joker: Folie a Deux, which is being met with great anticipation after its first trailer and buzz from Lady Gaga's addition to the cast. First Joker was a legs and WOM monster that benefited from a dry september and was followed by an equally empty October. If it lives up to hype, this shall easily grow from its predecessor, at least on lc.

No serious contenders but surprise could come as well from other like Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, Moana 2 and Gladiator 2. Could go either way for Mufasa and Wicked.

Sadly there seems to be no potential for a breakout or overperformance from horror titles; quite a poor year for it.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I was expecting the Inside Out 2/Despicable Me 4 showdown to be a lot closer than it will be but there seems like will be a considerable gap as Gru and its minions target slightly lower results as Rise of Gru. If anything, this has proven to be a pretty consistent franchise a la Jurassic World or Avatar.

As for what could rival Riley and her emotions we have left Deadpool & Wolverine which is tracking to open on par with previous Marvel multiverse fest Multiverse of Madness. Historically late July tends to be a front-loaded ballpark for record-breaking releases from Deathly Hallows Part II to Barbie going through The Lion King so this needs a massive opening to ensure sweet $1B but it doesn't look easy. First ones had a great reception and having Hugh Jackman this time around will do it a great favour.

However, on several metrics the Marvel Studios mega bet has been surpassed by Joker: Folié a Deux, which is being met with great anticipation after its first trailer and buzz from Lady Gaga's addition to the cast. First Joker was a legs and WOM monster that benefited from a dry september and was followed by an equally empty October. If it lives up to hype, this shall easily grow from its predecessor, at least on lc.

No serious contenders but surprise could come as well from other like Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, Moana 2 and Gladiator 2. Could go either way for Mufasa and Wicked.

Sadly there seems to be no potential for a breakout or overperformance from horror titles; quite a poor year for it.

wait Beetlejuice? But no mention to Venom? 👀 

Posted (edited)

Inside Out 2 OW: $29,855,385, 549,909,412 lc. I bet CANACINE will publish numbers including Monday later on today.

Top Movies, All Time (lc)

44    557,239,915    Frozen 2 (2019)

45    549,909,412    Inside Out 2 (2024)
46    546,099,285    Overboard (2018)

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, leoh said:

wait Beetlejuice? But no mention to Venom? 👀 

Venom-verse

Movie  OW lc   OW Aud   Total lc   Total Aud 
Venom $190,168,070 3,316,445 $459,891,501 8,911,710
Venom 2 $168,074,612 2,386,352 $504,796,933 7,776,148
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

$88M Monday vs $59M of Super Mario Bros. That's nuts considering Mario's first monday was still part of Spring Break and this one was another regular Monday.

Do you think it will pass it? Just for me to understand how bigger was the allocation compared to Mario?  Or Despicable Me can interfere with that? 

How big is the OW for DM4 looks like? more than 100M at least?

EDIT: Never mind, I thought that the release date was this week. I read  that somewhere.

Edited by Bob-omb

13 minutes ago, Bob-omb said:

Never mind, I thought that the release date was this week. I read  that somewhere.

The release for DM4 is this week in Argentina (and Australia and New Zealand).

• Like 1