YM!

YM!’s About Damn Time Y9 Reviews

January

Winner Take All

Spoiler

Winner Take All - A satisfying end to perhaps the most deranged comedy series in CAYOM. Blending high-octane cartoon-y action with the blend of dark absurd comedy, allows Winner Take All to overcome whether or not the installment was necessary. In fact, it might just be more fun than Losers Weepers. - 8/10

Socksucker

Spoiler

Devoid of laughs or really much chemistry between Wattson and Boyega, I guess you could say this comedy… sucks. - 1.5/10

Interceptors

Spoiler

t is nice to see the return of our friends at TriCrescent Media, and under a new banner, nonetheless. Anyways, how does their first film back shape up? Interceptors feels like a trip back to the 90s/00s action tentpoles on scale and setpieces alone. Sadly, there is not much narrative meat to divert it from the rest of the pack. However, it is still a good way to kill a few hours as the ensemble put together does provide a lot of fun with what they were given. For a January tentpole, it is definitely a step in the right direction. - 5.5/10

smAsKbY-NbR74wc7GKtnKJGJa7xZCnkBLCmNMzwu

Super Monkey Ball

Spoiler

Another animated video game adaptation to add to the collection. This one takes a bit more of an interesting route by trying to incorporate a romantic-comedy angle, of a will-they-won’t-they variety between two best friends which is cute, but I wish they’d explore more of this aspect. It is the most interesting part of the movie. The humor missed more often than it hit for me, but I think kids will have a fun time with it as it is pretty charming. - 6/10

cqtNUdBrbqLYH-wrQcNMqfmUWxD15td6PM93OunV

Go Kart Gottlieb

Spoiler

What started off as an interesting sports dramedy, ups the melodrama without enough heart to back it up. That said, it is not as bad as White Wyvern last year but does not quite reach the heights of New Journey’s greats. - 4/10

Grand Theft Auto

Spoiler

Grand Theft Auto - Originally sometime before Hiccup left the forum, me and Hiccup had a plan to do a GTA adaptation, based on one of the games but it fell apart and rights were given away. I was intrigued to hear Phoenix Fire’s take on it, especially after Far Cry last year in game. 

The take this go around ditches the heists and gang conflict of the past games and ties into the theme of the meaning of anarchy that Far Cry had, acting more in an original twist. Kind of in a way how some might feel playing the game online, which for me was attaching sticky bombs to buses, blocking the highway and causing explosions. However, GTA trades the feelings of fun anarchy for a more philosophical one that doesn’t feel as well developed or as interesting, in fact it feels more thorough in Far Cry. It’s not a bad movie by any means but kind of disappointing to me. 4/10

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

February

c-1Ogxb5E5jtHdgPrtmdnK5NwOkGEVn9sWdTNDFB

Whinge and Cringe 

Spoiler

Phoenix Fire Entertainment does another attempt at adult animation with their animation-live action hybrid Whinge and Cringe this Valentine's Day weekend, where a lonely man adopts an animated tiger and in which carnage ensues in the real world. However, the take for this movie fails to drum up either too much charm or laughs despite how impressive the seamless the animated and live action world blend in. I failed to elicit much feeling for it all but at least it doesn’t go for full unadulterated raunch that R rated comedy animations do like Brickleberry: Armoogeddon or Brandybrook did.

5/10

k1MDd15nOp32qDeS2YFJo1SjJWW7c0yOdlW2DQJr

The Crummy Shindig 

Spoiler

Oi Parker did a pretty great job for this. It’s always nice to see a contemporary musical in the world of CAYOM, the songs are all toetappers and the choreography and direction for the dance sequences really help it, and an ensemble of loveable if albeit not the most fleshed out characters. Definitely should make some bank this month.

7.5/10

ARBNnKWQxygSKFRtlXANCIrPogII21E8pFu_-g9L

Scales of Justice 

Spoiler

Studio Groundswell has crafted an interesting legal drama. It’s definitely well put together although it can speed a bit towards the finish line. The drama is there, the script is mostly good and the cast is well put together. My problems were I wasn’t too much of a fan of Martha’s portrayal although it was unintentional but it also needed a bit more to wow me. Still a solid film. 

6.25/10

ixVsFQdWJQzLLV3p22wGTv8vK6MR_wpOPuwErLd8

Death is Not My Friend 

Spoiler

I appreciate what the author was trying to do here. The parts were all there to make a compelling narrative but just didn’t pan out in terms of execution. The themes of how trauma and grief can affect people but a lot of the characters don’t seem compelling enough for the narrative and tend to fall flat in terms of suspense. 

It’s not a bad movie by any means, it just isn’t as well put together. 

5/10

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

March

Kopeq8DY8l39BL-J2i8VtyYFVlGijD14-2sgcUsS

Deep Sixed

Spoiler

There is not really much under the surface than it being the exploits of Liam Nesson vs Jason Statham but that is okay, as it still kicks ass. Especially seeing Nesson getting more of a chance to showcase his chops as acting as a villain. 

6/10

LjFNbAupdedGKOmUIU5TzzfQZYmQfA72MHz_Zw81

The Last Victim

Spoiler

The Last Victim is an interesting beast in terms of CAYOM horror as MCKill pointed out that this tends to go for a campy and heartfelt tone. It is also a fun time to just watch and be spooked but unfortunately for me, there is not as much meat on it narratively interesting which is not needed necessarily for a horror movie but the sins lie more so with the romance. It is not a bad romance per se but I just was not really as invested in the thing going on between the lead and his love interest, and for me that is a large part of the investment for me especially when there is an emotional sequence that does not really register for me. For what it’s worth though, I think audiences and perhaps some other critics will dig it, it just didn’t do it for me.

5/10

FLsWNvt4p4o_I0G1NG6McRXbUQRskzQvmxhcwp0V

Alakazam

Spoiler

Touted as Studio Groundswell’s first original animation, I was really curious on how it would turn out to be. Original animation while present is still pretty rare in CAYOM, with notable examples being Gateways and the Sylvarius series garnering critical praises. Alakazam may not reach the highs of those three but it is pretty good for what it is. It has a vibrant energy to it that makes that 13k read go by breezily, is funny and it is nice to see the largely British cast and crew behind this, as Cumberbatch and Redmayne bounce well off each other (which is something I would’ve liked more off). The emotions in one scene during the middle hit pretty hard.

However, the film sort of drags a bit in the middle and doesn’t quite create enough stamina for some of the emotions it hopes to elicit from the viewers. Like the ending is still good but I didn’t feel heartbroken by it. I would’ve liked a bit more time for the emotions to fester. That said, it is a solid animated feature and promising start for Groundswell’s original animation efforts.

7.5/10

Y88b5Zj7y2w2_FNVr_OOXezoppQd2HNtA7kHEpMZ

American Spy

Spoiler

I pre-read this for MCKill a few days before it was time to submit the last movies. My thoughts are more or less the same as before. I enjoyed it. It is pretty well acted and the romance between the two leads were great as they have good chemistry and play well off each other. Smolett does seem like a good choice for the Best Actress nominations as she bodies this whole movie. However, what prevented this from going from good to great was I didn’t think there was a deep enough dive on some of the ideological standpoints of the debate on the proper way to govern but there is not much to some characters outside of Smolett that are either not really dimensional or fleshed out to wow, like for example, the villain of the film. Still it is a pretty solid flick.

7/10

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

March

Kopeq8DY8l39BL-J2i8VtyYFVlGijD14-2sgcUsS

Deep Sixed

Reveal hidden contents

LjFNbAupdedGKOmUIU5TzzfQZYmQfA72MHz_Zw81

The Last Victim

Reveal hidden contents

FLsWNvt4p4o_I0G1NG6McRXbUQRskzQvmxhcwp0V

Alakazam

Reveal hidden contents

Y88b5Zj7y2w2_FNVr_OOXezoppQd2HNtA7kHEpMZ

American Spy

Reveal hidden contents

Ratings adjustments: The Crummy Shindig has been raised to an 8/10 as has Interceptors to a 6/10. Socksucker has been lowered to a 1/10.

• Astonished 2

April

2MZcpQjUmwpCzr1zpDgKPktGLlU1aT8W7ckKaAU5

Bikini

Spoiler

There is something admirable about Deutch’s character, unwilling to fold for others being comfortable and wanting to wear what she wants to wear, without doubting herself which manages to work for the film’s runtime. Unfortunately, the film that does try to show it’s progressiveness, the film itself gets muddled on delivering its messages. It also doesn’t help that many characters outside of Deutch’s are not interesting, being rather one-note.

6/10

RAghI-rWANCP76tNVqW_enf8dINDARFIynqWaOGP

Molly and Emmet

Spoiler

Lol, Samantha is a bad friend. Otherwise, this is a pretty standard kids movie. It is cute and breezy but if you are an adult or over the age of the target audience, you will likely be bored.

5.5/10

The Boy Who Hated Books

Spoiler

Without even looking at the plot and going from title and studio alone, I was reminded of Up in The Sky, a similar movie to this one from Phoenix Fire being a PG family film with disability as the subject. However, while Up in The Sky soared, The Boy Who Hated Books sinks. To go a bit into some real-life information, my family suffers from dyslexia. Me and my parents don’t have it but it has affected both of my cousins, one of whom is still in school and is currently struggling with it, which me and my family are doing the best to help with. My problem with the movie comes more with the fact that the film doesn’t handle the topic well. No one really pays attention to Leopold’s struggles, especially the parents which is very upsetting to me especially when Leopold points out that if they did arguably the bare minimum, he would have gotten the help he needed, and there is an odd reasoning that kind of implies the fears of cars or constant sleepiness is on the same scale (although all three issues can be overcome with therapy and help). It really makes the melodrama not stick at all and feel really tone-deaf. I know MCKill was not trying to be offensive and yes, it is likely the problem could have come with the book, this is still a stinker. Sorry.

4/10

i58qZAs7fSuhEX_iYXbN63qtgxwtyFHH6N4rE_j7

The Shadow of The Comet

Spoiler

Despite some interesting animation and Samuel L. Jackson giving a solid performance in this voice role, Shadow of the Comet fails to overcome various tropes or develop interesting enough characters to overcome the problems. While I believe, if my memory serves correct, I preferred The Insect God, but I do think it is a good step in the right direction for Fossil Record Animation.

5/10

Devil Bean

Spoiler

Inspired by Tekken and Street Fighter, Devil Bean is also a lot like those games in particular. It’s loud, noisy and often short on structure or engaging plot, kind of like a lot of video game movies now but makes up for it in sheer lunacy that manages to be both entertaining and not tiring, which a lot of video game movies fail to achieve. Fun time. Could be a solid choice this year for Best Use of Action at this year's Academy Awards. We stan Vin Diesel as Hippoman.

6/10

• Like 2

May

Kirby and the King's Caper

Spoiler

“All I wanted was to drain that plushy, plumpy flesh of all its nectar!” he yells. “Now I’ll do more than just suck it all out!” - a line I wouldn’t have expected from a family movie.

I was skeptical about a Kirby movie at first and didn't really know much about the little pink guy apart from playing a game or two. Not sure how one can really develop a movie out of it. However, while not as strong as Alakazam, Kirby is still a pretty good addition to the video game movie adaptation. 

Kirby manages to be a pretty charming protagonist, despite not having a voice in the film (an addition I really enjoy), has subtle changes growing from naive and reckless to more cautious and calculated. The animation and action sequences keep it lively and entertaining with standouts from Nanjiani as the chef Kirby bonds with and Diego Luna as Meta Knight who has a lot of fun in the role. However, the structure does get a bit repetitive during the first and second act with a few characters that could have been cut like Marx for instance, and I do think that the third act could probably use a nice trim. Nonetheless, a fun time and a solid adaptation.

7/10

The Man of The Jungle

Spoiler

I have had a lot of reservations when I first heard of it, mainly because of the idea to choose a black Tarzan as well as a mainly black voice cast as well as the racism in the original Tarzan stories, making the idea not sit well from the get-go. I am sympathetic to the fact the user said it was made to fill a spot on the calendar as well as what MCKill was originally trying to aim for. Maybe given enough time it’d have worked better and while it wasn’t as mishandled as I feared at first, it’s still not handled well.

A notable change is having the Professor being a mix of the character from the Disney movie and a bit of Clayton who is now very racist. Another is Sabor being the main villain trying to show a difference between man and beast. Both of those changes on paper could work but the film also wants to be a big tentpole leaving both themes of racism and the nature of human vs animal underdeveloped and fell tacked on. Not to mention with not much being added, the racism angle is sort of more underwhelming as it makes the concept of a black Tarzan worse and can lead to some really fucked implications. Sadly, The Man of The Jungle might be the worst of the CAYOM live action adaptations due to tonal clashing and poorly developed themes. 

4/10

Aeromobil: The Future is Now

Spoiler

It’s a cool little documentary about flying cars. I like flying cars. Those are neat. Got nothing much to say other than that.

6.5/10

mhuzZTGcAmaxIs2gMYp9_BkrelXmiG0kZ9gAju2A

Rocket Hero

Spoiler

Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise team up once again, this time creating their own take on the typical superhero film. Going for long, single takes for some action sequences give it a sense of some unique momentum and deviate it from other traditional superhero movies. It also helps that Tom Cruise is naturally a damn good lead. The problem comes more so with the script, mainly with the antagonist being rather one-note to showcase the structural racism and shadiness in the government but with nothing interesting coming out of it. Still, a good action picture that in my honest opinion seems like the biggest live action winner of May.

7/10

TuI6rGb4pk-_lMErXgqOAs8Cw7kiVxs1u7j0wN-Z

Fatal Error

Spoiler

Look, we've all said what has been said about the film in multiple reviews: it’s a cynical horror movie that rips off far superior horror movies that came before it. 

1.5/10

• Like 3

June

AzGdyQeNn6MugX2zxyU88JUNuhBdd6Jf3dcEj8DA

Xenoblade Chronicles: The Power of the Monado 

Spoiler

Video game adaptations have always been a mixed bag for CAYOM, with the exceptions of the Mass Effect franchise and maybe Super Mario Bros, none have truly taken off and exploded. Xenoblade opens in a prime spot this summer and with Hollywood star Tom Holland as the lead hopes to start up a franchise. Unfortunately, despite it’s strong visuals and thrilling action, the story is basically a series of tropes with little effort to expand or build upon the themes of the game and the characters are not endearing enough either. Maybe the sequel will be able to capture some of that magic.

4/10

yuJno6iKBcebe_AWdJ4G3V75UbQZkQUMRQgo_qvN

The Next Good Day

Spoiler

The Next Good Day is a drama that manages to work thanks to McCarthy’s sense of direction and the performances of Devin Druid as Levi, a troubled young man trying to move on from trauma and Kirsten Dunst as Dr. Delaney, the psychologist who helps him on his journey. Sadly, the drama at hand here is unable to match the acting or direction, coming across as melodramatic and at times uninteresting when it is supposed to be heartfelt and sweeping at one’s emotions. Doesn’t make it a bad film, but it stops it from being great.

6/10

nzhWDQWb-vqLFdncbWVQ7wxVCVC0oYUaHjcZnMdx

Second Dimensions: Last Hope

Spoiler

I was quite curious to see how this one turned out as Good Movies Studio was absent last year, deciding to try its hand in crafting what could be a new franchise for them. Helmed by Chloe Zhao, who scored a best director nomination last year, the film is a thrilling epic spanning on a quest across various dimensions. Although the movie is, like many others have stated, is hard to read, is pretty fun to watch unfold. It’s sense of sweeping action sequences, visuals, production design and strong casting in a way remind me of some 2000s blockbusters back in the day. What holds it back though is the Zhao’s whose visual direction is still aces, does not feel like the right fit, as this feels like a part one movie with an abrupt stop to the film. The runtime also makes the film feel a bit bloated too for the 131 runtime, still all and all the film manages to entertain and I think audiences will dig it.

6/10

Also two things, Heremias review an hour later and bumping Molly and Emmett up to a 6/10

• Like 2

Heremias

D9ajFS0Wc2VvA8vKSybs4YOaPSHaj_VTCJ12fihb

Spoiler

Heremias was probably my most hyped film of the year, as Sylvarius was my second favorite animated movie that, winning me over with it’s strong cast, great animation and fully committing to a straight up epic adventure, so I was looking forward to how the sequel played out, especially with LaKeith Stanfield’s Marcus being the central focus. 

The film, like most great sequels, the film ups the ante, focusing on Marcus’ inner turmoil on his connection to humanity vs his connection to nature, which is done extremely well and further establishes the conflict of man vs nature the films have sent up. MCKillswitch noted it was like the animated CAYOM equivalent of The Last Jedi and yeah I can see that. The sequel ups the ante on themes, ups the visuals and action and has the crew being split up for a majority of the movie. While I think Marcus’ plot is the clear highlight, the espionage plot of our other heroes also works well. 

Stanfield, Johnson, Dinkalage and Shipka return as their leads, being a delight to return. Standouts in terms of new characters come from Ashly Burch’s Catherine, whose charming attitude and powerset makes her my favorite of the bunch, to Montano as the titular and mysterious nature goddess Heremias and Aimee Carrero as conflicted demigod Myria. All three give such great voice performances. While I won’t spoil plot points of the movie, the contrast between the force of magic human and main antagonist Lavendra (Its nice to see Katara and Amity do evil lol) and Heremias is interesting to watch unfold. 

If I had any complaints with the film is that I think Selena could have had a bit more to do, and that it can get a bit messy at times with all the various subplots going on but Heremias, is an absolute force of nature, as a thrilling animated epic through it’s sheer ambition, might just be better than the first.

Is it DONG worthy?

Spoiler

Yes. 9/10

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

• Like 3

The Mirage

Spoiler

Wow, this was a trip to read. Filled with strong visual imagery, this western horror tells the tale of Glenn Powell as this modern-day cowboy/bounty hunter trying to rescue a client while dealing with a reincarnation cult. What is most interesting is watching Powell drop the macho shtick and show cowardice and misogyny as the film goes along. Add to some well-drawn-out sequences that craft a few strong scares, The Mirage is a fever trip that manages to blow up with a showstopper third act. Great film but…

Is it DONG worthy?

Spoiler

YES

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

9/10

gAxYGSnwxWrDR3yJDMMIpLcypQiwN1gMH22MamTs

War on Drugs: America’s Modern Conflict

Spoiler

A pretty solid documentary on the war on drugs in America and comparisons to other countries, as well as highlighting some of the race relations of the US. Locked to win best documentary feature imho.

7.5/10

FhOqhNpTNbBa62yXrRdBJLTaU3kmeF-Bk-SoLyo0

Hearts of Fire: Vengeful Hearts

Spoiler

A sadly lackluster sequel to a predecessor that never left too much of an impression on me other than it was fun, this installment is much less of a blazing vengeance to anyone except maybe the viewer.

3/10

JULY

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

August

86esD78kgfyT147OR7nKmN28WWPRpZJ94rBrMehy

Dinosaucers

Spoiler

Sadly, wasn’t too big on Dinosaucers. Dinosaucers reminds me a lot of the Xillix throwback/obscure 80s and 90s cartoon adaptations but sadly it is not as fun as the Tattooed quadrilogy or more accurate comparison the animated PG family friendly SWAT Kats movies. Instead of being fun action comedies, Dinosaucers is sadly pretty dull with one very unlikeable lead who’s turns and motives go kind of unexplained or unexplored than Dinos lame lol. Kids should like it and it will thrive in a weak summer though.

3.5/10

Scythe

Spoiler

Another film I was not really big on. Scythe has an interesting premise compared to the typical YA dystopian movies which is the biggest compliment I have towards the movie, but sadly even that idea gets rather confusing with some bizarre worldbuilding choices making it hard to comprehend the rules of that world. On top of a bunch of tropes of other YA films, not even the R rating or Vaughn’s directing can really save the film.

3.5/10

5Cdgc-ZBcr4UlMhKADqQLDZs8wqIaxUp4Sx352Wh

Gran Turismo 

Spoiler

Nothing too special other than some strong sound design and being a solid if not unremarkable sports flick but for Gran Turismo that is just about enough to work. Won’t overstay a welcome but also won’t leave you with much.

6/10

dUK4djKE_V01c5KhMYxMSdWx4iIaQwTdI4D_olP6

Someone’s Grace

Spoiler

Slam’s friend made their debut here this year with the faith based drama, Someone’s Grace. The novella format made things a bit more difficult to read and faith based films are probably my least favorite genre but I went in with blind eye and decided to be fair. Though I didn’t find the characters and story any interesting at all, at least not enough for me to feel positive, I do admire the film’s sincerity, which do separate it from a lot of other faith based movies, therefore I can not really dislike it either. An unorthodox first try from this new division but I do look forward to hopefully seeing them grow.

5/10

imFtfc0Ekw4_IZ8KZTTZ-ygqKD9HmN2O8PM0K6Zf

The Talons of The Hawk

Spoiler

Make no mistakes this is a very hammy and trashy monster film. But that is one of the reasons why I enjoy it. The Talons of the Hawk manages to be a good way to kill some time in the doldrums of August weather by being unabashedly goofy while still keeping a straightforward tone.

6.5/10

IeqcCMVIod-84GV9hYAKBnNDeodlyjBKYX1U8ho6

The Excursion

Spoiler

I am more on the middle of the road of this drama. Though there’s a few scenes in which The Excursion shines, it does not do enough where the drama feels an awful lot like melodrama and when the big blow up scene happens that is treated like this big moment in the film, you aren’t left with much of an impact. 

5/10

• Like 3

September

5Iq9lkuY_TwIdz58Dpyl-Co6gZTOSX5h43U86_od

Acne

Spoiler

Acne is a pretty gripping horror film. It is filled with solid if expected commentary and some very gruesome imagery. A few scenes made my stomach churn and honestly may choose it as one of my choices for best visual effects. My only gripe with the film is the more tonally shifted happy ending, which is nice to see, contrasts kind of harshly with the tone the movie set for itself.

8/10

Invader Zim 

Spoiler

Having read Phoenix Fire’s original version of the film, my thoughts are that it was okay but my main problem was Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Zim as the former’s delivery doesn’t match up with the character.  I definitely think Hader is a far better choice for Zim now and while I’m more positive on it, I still feel rather mixed on it. Invader Zim is the most entertaining when it goes into the more dark and/or absurdist humor like the show but falls flat when it tries to do an emotional arc. I also think that some of the new actors don’t really do that great of a job recapture or doing their own take on the characters apart from Day as GIR who was the highlight. Families and fans will enjoy it just fine, I preferred Into The Florpus as a Zim movie.

5.5/10

NLe74NUh-3y-Tb3O8ykzqLf3-CgO4GXj4DLD53IW

Raven Island 

Spoiler

Probably my favorite of the Fossil Record bunch this year. It’s a pretty solid family adventure right here with likable enough characters and a cool setting. My biggest problem with the film is the 138 minute runtime. Had it been a shorter film, I’d have given it a bit of a higher score. Not too bad a time at the movies though.

6.5/10

• Like 3

Tumbleweed and October Reviews

Tumbleweed 

Spoiler

These types of films can be kind of hit and miss for me personally, as while I do find it’s themes of life and death strong with its imagery, I wasn’t too entranced or swept up with the film at all for me to love it. Not bad by any means but not for me but for what it is, it's pretty good.

6/10

Fore! 

Spoiler

A pretty goofy golf comedy, feels kind of like watching one of those bowling score animations one would get at an arcade or bowling lane but as a film. Pretty low on substance and not the best movie in the world but for what it was worth it kept me entertained during the runtime. 

5/10

xq92CccIeZA0Z2cwGrzrzT_VjgLiK7Ssd7vVGkdL

Mechamen 

Spoiler

Though the mech battles are pretty exciting to watch unfold, especially in IMAX, there are still some things that just don’t sit right for me with Mechamen. The tropes being generic isn’t so much the problem nor is it necessarily the ultra-patriotic tone but rather a lot of the characters and even the mechs feel unintentionally like stereotypes which really doesn’t sit well with me. This is unintentional on behalf of the user but it still throws me off. However, if you can ignore those issues, Mechamen is a solid 2 hours of mindless entertainment.

5/10

ukDva-N3BW56NHfnu-gRl3z585gB3M4o8cV2IL-9

Warmth

Spoiler

This film manages to deliver a lot thanks Cuarson’s strong sense of direction. The two lead actors, although they may come from different backgrounds, both have compromised their values for the sake of patriotism as they come to terms with forgiveness. It’s through the dialogue and scenery, Warmth is able to create a strong drama that helps elevate the material. 

Spoiler

Is it DONG Worthy?

Spoiler

No but it’s close

8.5/10

Guinea Pigger 

Spoiler

The hierarchy of the talking animals Phoenix Fire universe has changed. It’s a bit admirable that this one steps up the lunacy, but unfortunately it’s not loony enough for it to justify the movie’s quality. The mid credit scene had me howling a lot though.

3/10

BTmAdl4IChHvicHB5f8_46COaGo07bJ3jjfpIUwR

Red Rabbit 

Spoiler

Though Keery is easily the weakest link of this spy ensemble, the rest of the cast makes up with it thanks to some strong performances and entertaining script is a solid addition to the Numerator Action Thriller pieces.

7/10

jrtvPAKWle9Eb1NLDy2fbYxBPPC_5Tfo5BKNMEJ4

#Spooked

Spoiler

While it doesn’t break any new grounds, Spooked definitely lives up to its’ Red Crescent brethren as it’s a smart, spooky and thoroughly silly horror comedy.

7/10

Grace and Mercy

Spoiler

Thanks to Tiffany Haddish’s strong acting and charming script, Grace and Mercy manages to be an entertaining enough drama this holiday season. 

6.5/10

• Like 2

November

yMnZESZwALjYxTRGSBI1dqIJBt5JPHMPy2GFZ7gB

The Land of The Crescent

Spoiler

Though there’s not much in terms of in-depth characters, the scenery and ensemble help make the movie a sweeping adventure that’s a delight to watch unfold, especially once it really gets going.

7.5/10

-reiX1cs9CylKXGOE9u12NgwbkhFGsdM0d2DOewU

Tongue Tied

Spoiler

Though I do think perhaps the director choice and rating comes at odds with what the film is aiming for (this really would’ve worked better as a PG film), Tongue Tied manages to be a very charming romantic comedy. This is thanks to the sincerity of the script and the performances of the cast. However, it’s also kind of weak in the humor department especially with one unfunny running gag and I would like more of a romance built up between the two couples that do get together.

7.5/10

s8SY6xVj9n70VBMYXsZYCfRRcgztGeiIyWRloaCb

Runaway Train

Spoiler

Thanks to Mangold’s directing style and sincere nature of tackling the themes of desire to be bigger vs the impact one has, Runaway Train may or may not reinvent the musical biopic sub-genre but like the song, it’s a real heavy hitter. Only this time, in the film world. 

8/10

• Like 2

Okay, all, top 25 time is just about to start in about 10 or so minutes from now. All and all, although it was a smaller year, there was still a very solid output of films. I am switvhing up on how I do the pre-reads this year, as there was a little bit of people this year, I figured everyone in the top 25 gets an oppurtunity to get a pre-read with the top 5 getting first pick of the films. If you have multiple spots in the top 5, you also get two.

Anyways Honorable Mentions time:

Spoiler

@Xillix's Incepetors

Spoiler

@SLAM!'s Scales of Justice

Spoiler

@El Squibbonator's Molly and Emmet

Spoiler

@SLAM!'s Devil Bean

Spoiler

@MCKillswitch123's The Next Great Day

Spoiler