YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Update: Crap, I guess there was a lot of inflation since 2019. Lion King '19 adjusts to over $2 billion and Lion King 94 still comes out about $50mil short factoring that in.

Snow white still takes the cake anyway

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

We're missing international data on most of the early Disney releases. Maybe Snow White got there but impossible to know for sure.

Actually, there ARE international numbers on most of the older Disney films and such. It’s just that BOM just never correctly updated the their actual lifetime box office OS & WW grosses on those films even nowadays (with the exception of Bambi).

Which includes in classical canon order with the Worldwide gross:

Snow White = $418M

Pinocchio = $164M

Fantasia = $76M

Dumbo = $1.6M

Bambi = $267M

Cinderella = $263M

Alice in Wonderland = $2.4M

Peter Pan = $145M
Lady and the Tramp = $187M

Sleeping Beauty = $51M

101 Dalmatians = $303M

The Sword in the Stone = $22M

The Jungle Book = $378M

The Aristocats = $191M

Robin Hood = $32M

The Rescuers = $169M

The Fox and the Hound = $63M

The Great Mouse Detective = $38M

Oliver & Company $121M

The Rescuers Down Under = $47M

The only one of the old movies that never got a theatrical re-release was their box office flop “The Black Cauldron” from 1985. 👩🏻‍💼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Every fucking time a movie beats a nominal record, somebody says "but inflation"

Well you are the one that is so obsessed with admissions and pointing out that out for a lot of the more recent movies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Well you are the one that is so obsessed with admissions and pointing out that out for a lot of the more recent movies.

Well, my issue is that people say "but Lion King 2019 made more adjusted for inflation so it is the real movie deserving of the top spot", people forget that adjusted for inflation, it isn't even the highest grossing animated movie anyway.

And I'm obsessed with admissions (specifically domestic admissions) because AgentCooper315 is the admissions expert (you can ask him about basically any film and he will tell you) and also because it's a 100% fair, balanced way to compare the performance of movies. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Haha 1

According to u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit, IO2 will finish at $655M which is around 60M admissions. This is more than Lion King (57M) but less than Incredibles 2 (64M) and Shrek 2 (72M). In terms of movies in the 2020s, is tied with Barbie (60M) and below Spider-Man (70M) and Top Gun: Maverick (68M). I wonder what other movies in the 2020s can crack 70M admissions like No Way Home.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Well, my issue is that people say "but Lion King 2019 made more adjusted for inflation so it is the real movie deserving of the top spot", people forget that adjusted for inflation, it isn't even the highest grossing animated movie anyway.

And I'm obsessed with admissions (specifically domestic admissions) because AgentCooper315 is the admissions expert (you can ask him about basically any film and he will tell you) and also because it's a 100% fair, balanced way to compare the performance of movies. 

Not really, population growth, and market growth still make admissions especially WW favor new movies. There is no 100% fair way to compare movies.

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Not really, population growth, and market growth still make admissions especially WW favor new movies. There is no 100% fair way to compare movies.

Yeah that's why I think domestic admissions specifically (not WW admits) is best for comparing movies. With WW admits there are instances where a movie is hard carried by a specific market (mainly China). Like Venom 1 and The Last Jedi are basically identical in WW admits (141M for both) but Venom got like 53M from China so if you remove China it's 88M Venom vs ~136M Last Jedi. And yes market growth is also a major thing.

But this is the IO2 thread not the admission count thread so I'll stop there. IO2 is headed for around ~235M admits? More than Force Awakens

Edited by HummingLemon496

9 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

According to u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit, IO2 will finish at $655M which is around 60M admissions. This is more than Lion King (57M) but less than Incredibles 2 (64M) and Shrek 2 (72M). In terms of movies in the 2020s, is tied with Barbie (60M) and below Spider-Man (70M) and Top Gun: Maverick (68M). I wonder what other movies in the 2020s can crack 70M admissions like No Way Home.

Avengers 6

On 9/5/2024 at 2:55 AM, Selma said:

Snow white still takes the cake anyway

SNow White in 1937 was, for a couple of years the biggest money maker of all time. It grosses were astounding, when you consider that the average price of a movie ticket was 25 cents. It's reign as the biggest money maker of all time did get cut short by Goen With The Wind in 1939.