YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I wonder what Disney actually wanted different in Elio to pressure that as well and delay it.

The workers did said they had to change a lot of the story, yet no one said it was due to bad quality. 

I wonder if the whole “feeling alien” with mommy issues vibe was also some queer allegory and Disney freaked.

Before anyone think i’m crazy, the previous director Adrian Molina is gay and even said he would like to see a fully gay movie in Pixar right after he finished Coco.

If Pixar made Luca today, they’d probably make those poor boys fist bump and call each other “bro” every five minutes. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Kon said:

The article never mentioned they originally planned Riley to be gay. In fact, it says Riley isn't gay.

Disney seems to really fear the interactions between Riley and Val could be read as gay. 

This just made everything worse, imagine crunching a whole team over a sexuality that doesn’t exist lol. 

Not unexpected tho … from what we know Disney did personally blocked Pixar of making a gay lead in their recent outputs, which i suspect was Luca and maybe Elio.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

The article never mentioned they originally planned Riley to be gay. In fact, it says Riley isn't gay.

Disney seems to really fear the interactions between Riley and Val could be read as gay. That's why they tried to change the tone.

But what I think is weird is, and this is more so about the reactions to this article on Reddit, you can still read the interactions between Riley and Val as a crush, and a lot of people admit that they do. So if Riley's still gay-coded for a ton of people, that calls into question how much Disney/Pixar actually interfered with how Riley was perceived by audiences.

So I really want to know how Riley was supposed to act before there were any studio notes.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The workers did said they had to change a lot of the story, yet no one said it was due to bad quality. 

Well, of course no one would want to throw any of their colleagues under the bus saying that, and I'm not sure average animators would be privy to what exactly the reasons were anyway. My impression is they never get a chance to watch the whole reel, they just get assigned certain scenes to animate and do it.

Yeah when Turning Red came out and that one guy said it was alienating the rest of the film writing community came in defense and brought up quotes like James Joyce "In the particular is contained the universal" or F Scott Fitzgerald "We are all queer fish"

Apparently Pixar doesn't believe in that. Maybe they never did. But now they especially don't 

36 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

One thing I'm really not sure of is how Pixar, and Disney in the bigger picture, fixes their "gay" problem.

Strange World had a gay lead, and it wasn't in the background like Netflix's The Mitchells and The Machines. But, for some reason, the response was overwhelmingly negative, at least on social media. I remember finally watching it and being surprised by how much hate the film elicited because I found it really inoffensive. I found it to be at the level of Atlantis or Emperor's New Groove. I genuinely think that because it was so average, the anti-woke segment of the critic community was able to control the narrative. I guarantee that had the character been straight, the film might not have performed better (Disney and Sci-Fi don't mix well for some reason), but it wouldn't be looked at in such a negative light by folks.

And the aforementioned Lightyear was 100% affected by the culture war surrounding the kiss. Not to mention, both the films I'm discussing were either edited or completely banned from certain countries.

Really, the only thing Pixar or Disney can do is make a film where one of the main characters is gay, make sure to market the hell out of it so people can't go a day without seeing it mentioned, like Warner Brothers did with Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, and keep the costs down so it guarantees a profit. Oh, and the film has to be guaranteed to be really good. But that's impossible because if you give the film with a gay character less of a budget, there will be outrage. If the film with the gay character fails to make enough money at the box office, which will be heavily monitored by bad faith actors, there will be outrage. And even if the film is really good, who knows if whatever anti-woke campaign happens will hit or miss its target. The only way Disney or Pixar will be able to have a successful gay lead in a film is if a smaller studio makes the first move and has a success of their own.

But that's also why DreamWorks is sticking with making romanceless films about anthropomorphic animals (Puss in Boots, Kung Fu Panda 4, The Bad Guys) or robots (The Wild Robot). The jury is out on Shrek 5.

Part of the problem is that Disney has the reputation of being family-friendly, and some people have decided that anything LGBTQ is not family-friendly. Plus “woke/DEI” are the stolen/appropriated buzzwords of the 2020s, and people have decided to label Disney as that.

The other part is that Disney is extremely bad at handling any sort of bigoted backlash. Their main strategy is to ignore it/brute force the issue and hope the film makes a billion dollars. And if it doesn’t they spiral.

I do agree that the other major animation studios aren’t really making much progress on the LGBTQ front. They just get less flack.

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

If Pixar made Luca today, they’d probably make those poor boys fist bump and call each other “bro” every five minutes. 

Yeah, i’m convinced the movie the movie supposed to have a gay lead was Luca. That movie is queer coded to death, even without any explicit line about it, it still feels like it. Amazing movie too, really sad to think it could’ve a very different project if it wasn’t released in streaming. 

And it makes sense for Elio as well. Shi said he was supposed to have a conflict with his mother with voice work from America Ferreira, but now he lives with his aunt with voice work from Zoe Saldana. I’m confident it’ll be a good movie, but the whole thing was very weird including pushing it’s gay director to other project.

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That movie is queer coded to death, even without any explicit line about it, it still feels like it. Amazing movie too, really sad to think it could’ve a very different project if it wasn’t released in streaming. 

Director Enrico Casarosa denies it, which is either a lie or hilarious obliviousness 

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, of course no one would want to throw any of their colleagues under the bus saying that, and I'm not sure average animators would be privy to what exactly the reasons were anyway. My impression is they never get a chance to watch the whole reel, they just get assigned certain scenes to animate and do it.

Totally, i’m just remembering details Docter and Domee shared about what they changed, along with the focus on the Riley notes from today, and the delay and change of director starts to feels a bit more suspicious than just “it wasn’t good enough”.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, there's the Pixar short Riley's First Date, which is about about her going on a date with a boy

Did you watch that short? It's made clear by the end that it's not really a date hence the question mark in the title. Riley's First Date?

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

FWIW I do think the Hoppers protag also seems like an effort to promote genderqueer rep. Piper Curda goes by she/they and identifies as asexual. 

Don't know what went on with Elio, but with Shi and Sharafian I'll reserve judgment on just how "homogeneous" the movie ends up being. I'm at least more interested in something they might do than say.. Dan Scanlon.

2 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

Casarosa said that he didn't intend to make them homosexual, but he apparently doesn't mind people interpreting them in such way.

Nah it's not just that but the entire allegory of being a sea monster, like the old sea monster ladies who lower their umbrellas at the end of the one thing Luca's grandmother says at the end "some might never accept him"

• Like 1