YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's coming from a secondhand source and is such a subjective quality that Bloomberg's interpretation of it may very well be total bullshit. 

Very well if it's bullshit. I'm just a Turning Red fanatic and to hear that movie used as a negative example is disappointing 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I was not thrilled at all about this movie's existence when it was first announced and I don't even like the first one that much, but man am I hoping for its success now. Theaters need it and Pixar needs it. 

I am also kind of encouraged by what Kelsey Mann said in that Bloomberg piece about trying to shy away from a dour tone here. That was something that I wasn't into in the second half of the first Inside Out.

Funnily enough that little tidbit from the article is what made me apprehensive that he was gonna deliver on the sequel the way Pete did and go as deep as the original went in the second half.To me that’s what made the first film so impactful;It went from being a charming funny film that still felt personal, to something deeper and more universal.I guess we’ll see soon enough how the sequel ends up turning out.

Edited by Melosh

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

Funnily enough that little tidbit from the article is what made me apprehensive that he was gonna deliver on the sequel the way Pete did and go as deep as the original went in the second half.To me that’s what made the first film so impactful;It went from being a charming funny film that still felt personal, to something deeper and more universal.I guess we’ll see soon enough how the sequel ends up turning out.

I think it could still gut punch us, but Mann also said that the overall tone was getting too dire originally and it was dragging the film itself down. 

I know I'm in the minority with my opinions on the first Inside Out so I should probably just hold my tongue arguing what creative shifts for the sequel would be an improvement. But trying to avoid something like Lightyear is definitely a wise move.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 2:19 PM, JustLurking said:

What even was the last animated sequel to an original that failed to outopen its predecessor?

The Secret Life of Pets 2 if I’m not mistaken. First one opened to 104.4M, second one opened to 46.7M.

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

My favorite thing about Inside Out is the wild marketing. It can’t settle for McDonalds toys like every other animated film. It needs AI washing machines and Uber Teen.

Edited by Speedorito

32 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The Secret Life of Pets 2 if I’m not mistaken. First one opened to 104.4M, second one opened to 46.7M.

I guess that would be for pre-pandemic. Post pandemic opens a whole treasure trove of movies for very understandable reasons: Sing, Puss in Boots, Boss Baby... heck even Minions: The Rise of Gru opened a bit lower than the first film even if ended up passing it domestically.

I feel like the marketing for Inside Out 2 is way stronger than usual for Disney? They’ve advertised this everywhere. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was similarly marketed heavily. Possibly because they have less releases then last year?

The brand deals on this movie alone might make it successful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I guess presales and tracking, while solid enough, probably aren't quite where Disney wants them to be.

Doesn't seem to be a ton of new footage from this trailer. More of a HEY PLEASE WATCH OUR MOVIE ITS OUT NEXT FRIDAY.

Edit: Maybe not, Apes just did the same thing last month, although this one's a lot shorter.

Edited by PNF2187

1 hour ago, PNF2187 said:

I guess presales and tracking, while solid enough, probably aren't quite where Disney wants them to be.

Doesn't seem to be a ton of new footage from this trailer. More of a HEY PLEASE WATCH OUR MOVIE ITS OUT NEXT FRIDAY.

Edit: Maybe not, Apes just did the same thing last month, although this one's a lot shorter.

We don’t know Disneys expectations for this film though. An 80m+ opening could be in the range of what they expected or it could be 100m, we don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Bro I did not realize that u/Block-Busted from Reddit had a BOT account for over 7 years

I didn't use it for many years because I didn't know how to use it back then.

Still, I'm curious on what people here think of RottenTomatoes rating and average score for this. The first film has 98% with 8.9/10 average.

4 hours ago, Block-Busted said:

So based on everything that you guys know so far, what are your RottenTomatoes rating and average score predictions?

Absolutely no one can know that in advance but judging by other Pixar movies I am going to guess 90% with a 7.5/10 average. Reviews drop on the 13th btw

9 hours ago, Block-Busted said:

So based on everything that you guys know so far, what are your RottenTomatoes rating and average score predictions?

92%, 7.7/10 average.