YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

Just now, AniNate said:

Consistent with their other recent movies. Presumably this one won't have to worry about it as much.

I would say typical Pixar budget. WDAS is a little cheaper while Illumination is the cheapest.

45 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

IO2's budget is $200M, a little more than the first IO's $175M

Variety

it's called inflation. It is nearly ten years of course the cost of everything went up.

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I might be more inclined to buy into the "pixar not doing personal projects" anymore narrative if they didn't still have Elio coming. It mostly just feels like rage bait now. 

Would like to see more Wall-E somehow though. I don't know what more of a story there is to tell but even on the ancillary front it hasn't gotten a lot of attention compared to the rest of the popular Pixar IP.

I kinda buy it considering the City of Ghosts director knew from friends and people who worked with Docter, it's not as simple as Iger and Disney brass told him to parrot this.

1 minute ago, YM! said:

I kinda buy it considering the City of Ghosts director knew from friends and people who worked with Docter, it's not as simple as Iger and Disney brass told him to parrot this.

Wait can you expand on this? What did this person say?

Docter was once credited for being the person who allowed Luca and Turning Red to be what they were, as opposed to what Lasseter would have done. But now Docter is repudiating those movies.

I skimmed the kikutowne Twitter and she sounds like someone who has an axe to grind, even if it might be somewhat justified.

As long as the movies they put out are still good (and it sure sounds like Inside Out 2 is) that's the main thing that matters. If not then they will more than likely suffer consequences for it. 

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Should Pixar be worried about DM4 hunting IO2's legs. It's crazy we are getting a repeat of 2015 when Inside Out faced a Minions movie. Imagine how much more IO2 would be doing if it wasn't facing another potential billion dollar hit in DM4.

I think the bigger concern is internationally where some markets only have two weeks in between. I don't think the legs will be hurt all that badly though. There's a three week clearance between both domestically, which is plenty of time for soft second and third weekend drops. The Pixar movies with weaker legs tended to only have 2 weeks before an Illumination film, and also didn't have the same glowing reception that Inside Out 2 looks to be getting.

Two week headstart before Illumination:

• Lightyear (2.34x - I'm still shocked by how low this is)
  • Cars 3 (2.85x)
  • Monsters University (3.26x)

Three week headstart before Illumination:

• Finding Dory (3.60x)
  • Inside Out (3.94x)
  • Toy Story 3 (3.76x)

I think Monsters University is a good baseline target for legs here, but I think Finding Dory/Toy Story 4 is probably more likely here.

• Like 1

I will say I never really pegged Docter as being CCO material until he was kind of forced into the role by Lasseter's ouster, and I still don't think he's comfortable with the whole face-of-the-studio persona that entails. Seems like someone who's prone to say stuff off the cuff that they don't really mean and aren't as savvy about how it can be twisted by journalists to fit a provocative narrative. Given the stretch of six original movies out of eight, I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt as far as greenlighting risky original projects go, even if the circumstances now dictate that they need to dial the output of those back a little.

He is right though when he was talking about how people always say they want original stuff but are all too eager to trash it when they begin promoting it. I know the moment the next Elio trailer comes out with Moana 2, the cynicism will start all over again.

Edited by AniNate

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I will say I never really pegged Docter as being CCO material until he was kind of forced into the role by Lasseter's ouster, and I still don't think he's comfortable with the whole face-of-the-studio persona that entails. Seems like someone who's prone to say stuff off the cuff that they don't really mean and aren't as savvy about how it can be twisted by journalists to fit a provocative narrative. Given the stretch of six original movies out of eight, I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt as far as greenlighting risky original projects go, even if the circumstances now dictate that they need to dial the output of those back a little.

He is right though when he was talking about how people always say they want original stuff but are all too eager to trash it when they begin promoting it. I know the moment the next Elio trailer comes out with Moana 2, the cynicism will start all over again.

Yeah there's no way he was not prepared for interviews with Bloomberg and Time. I get what you're saying that he didn't seem like c-suite material, though. 

I'm not even a Pete Docter hater. I really like the movies he directed, they're all gems.

Edited by cannastop

38 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

I think the bigger concern is internationally where some markets only have two weeks in between.

They're releasing DM4 just one week after IO2 here in Argentina... such a puzzling decision.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wait can you expand on this? What did this person say?

The person who responded deleted the tweet but I recall their post being along the lines of Docter being forced to say these things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

It was still not an unreasonable goal to set for awhile, given not many trackers were much more bullish on the movie and the ongoing perception of Pixar and kids movies' reduced draw at the box office, not to mention the generally depressed mood of the industry the past year. Evidently a pre-Covid level of enthusiasm has manifested itself the past week.

I would say pre streaming rather then pre Covid but generally  I agree.

What has done huge damage to ticket sales is the coming of streaming . That would have happend if there had been no Covie, it would just have been more gradual rather then almost overnight.

ANyway  anything north of 80 Million is a big win nowdays. 80 Million is the new 100 mIllion.

Main point is, many , many fewer films are opening 50 100 Million then used to. You have to look at overall trends,not just how individual movies do if you want to get a good idea of how the film market is doing.

I and my wife will be there on Saturday night.

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I have to wonder what the animation industry will look like if the major studios pull back on originals and focus mostly on sequels. That can’t be sustainable…

To be fair I don’t think Docter was saying the goal is to focus mostly on sequels (or prequels/spin-offs), he said the current strategy is to have a “balance” of sequels and originals, more like an even split between the two. So there will be more of a focus then recent years but that doesn’t mean most of their focus.. And as i think someone else on this board has pointed out, this isn’t exactly a new strategy for them, Pixar leadership going back a decade or so had indicated a desire for the studio to have an output that would be around a 50/50 split between originals and sequels/prequels/spin-offs. If we look at their output between 2010 and 2019 they had 11 features and of those 11 most of them were sequels (or prequels), with 7 of the 11 being non-originals. This last several years starting in 2020 saw a more original heavy focus, with Lightyear being the only non-original.

But yeah I agree with your point that turning their backs on originals completely or mostly is not a sustainable business model. I think thats also true for live action movies. You need to keep taking risks on new material cause some of that new material can be your “IP” or franchises of tomorrow. Franchises and IP are obviously important to a studios financial well being in the current environment.. but franchises can grow stale, audience tastes can change and when that happens you wanna have a fresher franchise there thats still performing that you can fall back on (and the money you make on those franchise hits helps fund the ability to take risks on originals which are more difficult to market and are never guaranteed to break through).  

• Like 1

I still think Pixar intends to have another original out in March 2026. They still have that placeholder date there and Jim Morris said they're still aiming for three movies every two years. I expect we'll find out in August if that's the case.

• Like 3