Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

9 hours ago, MikeQ said:

IToo bad Titanic and Way of Water aren't the same studio, otherwise I'd suggest they get on that "double feature" marketing for when Titanic opens. "This Valentine's Day, experience two of James Cameron's cinematic masterpieces on the big screen... one about family and the other about love...

And be at the theater for 8 hours plus! 😬

I am not that surprised at the big jump, seeing the exact same pattern over here. Mediocre weekdays, so-so Friday, incredible Saturday and a quite good Sunday. Expecting this to get more and more like this the longer the run goes.

Great numbers overall as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Fucking Chargers man.

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

As a San Diegan, I am in the enviable position of being content (though not elated) that they won when they win, & equally content that Dean Spanos lost when they lose.

I hope he’s crying into his coffee today.

17 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

I am not that surprised at the big jump, seeing the exact same pattern over here. Mediocre weekdays, so-so Friday, incredible Saturday and a quite good Sunday. Expecting this to get more and more like this the longer the run goes.

Great numbers overall as well.

Many of us said several weeks ago that the runtime would create this dynamic. 

I, like you, am not at all surprised. Just look at the runs of previous films with similar runtimes.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LinksterAC said:

I have doubts the NFL playoff games really do have a marginal effect vs the regular season until the Super Bowl, but I honestly haven’t researched it too deeply.

Yes, they get insane viewership numbers, but there’s also very few of them & zero college games, so I wonder how much of that is just moving the same eyeballs from a vast array of games to a handful of games instead.

The NFL in general has a diminishing effect on the box office. Non-holiday Sundays in Sept-Dec drop more than the comparable weeks/titles in Feb-May, plus some impact on Mondays and Thursday. It just gets magnified with the playoffs, with double/triple the ratings and 100M+ for the Super Bowl

The movie-going audience is a sub-set of the population, skewing younger, and that overlaps pretty well with NFL viewership. Life sports is really the only appointment TV left, and the NFL ratings dwarf every other sport. Last couple of years the NCAA Final Four/Champ has gotten 13-19M viewers, college football playoffs around 22M, while the NFL Divisional and AFC/NFC championship round last year was 40M+. That's just a lot of occupied eyeballs, shrinking the pool of potential ticket buyers, and the game time slots eat into the whole day

Though I'm starting to wonder if the effect on Avatwo specifically isn't as strong as with some other titles, that it might even be picking up some of that "minuscule" counter-programming audience, given its performance both last Monday (CFB Natty) and now Saturday vs playoffs

Edited by M37

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

For exmaple, Frozen,the movie leggy out to 1300m,beating the IP Ironman 3 as the global champion,then guess what,Frozen become the the Franchise which earns $10B with just a single movie,Elsa’s face shows out every 1 years old girls clothes and ‘Let it Go’song play in every street

Ah! So, Frozen which was a "New" IP brand and had earned 1.3B WW within 3-4 weeks & died down next week, it would have not been called Global sensation? I don't know why you think that.  And If you think that- that's what my question really is- why you think that?

Movie opening to 20m OW and finishing $200m over 10 weekend will surely be called leggy run - leggy doesn't have to be WW sensation. Leggy run has nothing to do with "NEW" Franchise at all.  To understand my point - You don't have to go outside of MCU - we have BP , which was leggy, sensational and whatever you wanna call.

Staying within MCU, Let's assume NWH had died down during the 4th weekend itself with 1.5B WW - Would that have made NWH be any less profitable than BP? But, We always do credit BP's run and that's what I was asking. A movie selling 100m tickets WW in two week and another movie selling 100m tickets WW in 20 week, Which was more of a phenomenon? If your answer is BP - I am saying - you are simply biased due to a prevalent 'thought' and don't wanna see the numbers themselves.

There is also some conception which is spoken around here that 'leggy' movies have more reach means more 'Unique' people see the movie. But, I don't think so - If a movie is making 300M WW in a single day - You CAN be 100% SURE that It had more "Unique" viewers instead of 'Repeat Viewers' - compared to movie which made 300M WW over 20 days - because it will have lot more chances that same person is going for 2nd, 3rd or 4th time.

I simply asked Who decided that movies can't make all their it's money in one week? Especially in today's World where WoM spreads robustly and you don't need even a day for things to become sensational.

Edited by Shanks

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Puss has been having insane legs at the box office. I feel confident in 170m+ and if it follows TGS it’d end it’s run at 195m.

• Like 1