filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

That's odd...I wonder if Mitski is on tour or something. It sucks when the Oscar producers decide to reject the original performer if they're willing to sing. It's different when you have actors singing in a movie but they chicken out of the live performance.

So we have three Original Song performances announced, all that's left is Naatu Naatu and Gaga, or will performing as herself right now ruin her immersion as Harley Quinn...

Voting doesn't start until Thursday, but the Anonymous Ballots are already here...

Remember to take these with a grain of salt: the Penélope Cruz domination of the Honest Ballots last year meant nothing in the end.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

When will they announce presenters?

I’ve watched Jamie Lee Curtis in so many movies since I was around 10 years old

Oh boy, a Freebie Legacy voter 🙄

. I just watched “Everything Everywhere All at Once” a second time and it was even better on repeat viewing. The ending just floored me. However ... I might watch “Tár” again before I vote

Good on this person for doing their due diligence to be certain. Even if they don't vote the way I want them to, I can respect that.

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

When will they announce presenters?

It really is curious how we're less than two weeks away and they haven't any presenters yet (last year the first announcements came 24 days before the ceremony). Either they're having trouble securing people (a byproduct of the Dolby being the scene of the crime where slapgate occurred?) or they're going to announce all of them at once but who knows, maybe something is up.

Edited by filmlover

I looked at last year's Oscar thread and it's like the inverse of last year, the first set of presenters were announced three weeks before the ceremony, while the Original Song performers were being confirmed with less than a week to go. Now we have four out of five musical performances and barely anything on the presenters. Interesting...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

"Naatu Naatu" is such a jam. I'm usually against these splashy musical openings because they typically beg for the Rob Lowe/Snow White comparisons, but if they need to have one this year, this would be the right choice to kick off the ceremony in energetic fashion.

I'm mostly curious how they're going to handle the acting categories since the Best Actor winner from last year is banned (have to imagine DeBose and Kotsur are there to fulfill their "crowning the next Supporting winner" duties). Might be like five years ago when after Casey Affleck stepped down from his Best Actress duties they had two sets of previous winners presenting the Lead categories while having Emma Stone present Best Director so maybe they're planning something similar here while Chastain presents one of the two biggest prizes.

I at least appreciate that it seems like they're putting a lot more effort into this year's presenters after last year's completely random roster. Shawn Mendes? DJ Khalid? Tony Hawk, Kelly Slater, Shaun White for that James Bond tribute?

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

I wonder how they asked people -- "So you want to present at the Oscars - Can you take a hit?"

Just try slapping The Rock. See where it gets you.

I still feel a bit bad for Questlove. Almost all the winners post the slap were forgotten to some degree due to people understandably being distracted but Questlove being immediately after the slap was extra forgotten, literally no one paid attention to anything he said on that night.