kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

With the VFX involved there's no way they could condense a 150 plus million dollar series into a single special.

Mods punished me for pointing this out but when other franchises do far worse than this has, like Morbius, there is far less sky is falling pandemonium.

Then some will get their budgets decreased, what's hard about the stuff that hasn't even begun pre-production yet.

As for Morbius, no one really gives a shit about Morbius (it's like comparing the state of say Pixar and Paramount Animation/WAG, in which the latter wasn't that big or near as big to begin with) and were you not paying attention to the slate of DC for the past seven years on here. For any franchise, it's not a good thing when the general audience isn't clicking with everything. Yes apart from Eternals and maybe Quantumania, none have bombed and made a profit but if the same WOM that the majority of Phase 4’s and Quantumania becomes the norm, it will eventually effect the margins.

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ant-Man:

Feb 24: 30.9M (9.3M weekdays, 175.3M Total)

Mar 3: 10.7M (3.8M weekdays, 189.7M Total)

Mar 10: 5.1M (1.6M weekdays, 196.4M Total)

Mar 17: 1.9M (800k weekdays, 199.1M Total)

Mar 24: 800k (300k weekdays, 200.2M Total)

Final Total: 202M (1.9x from 3 day/1.67x from 4 day)

Pitiful. 200M isn't even safe anymore, and it's almost guaranteed a sub-2x and total below Ant-Man and the Wasp. I'm assuming the early Creed IMAX shows on Tuesday will dampen any increase for Ant-Man when almost half of the box office is coming from PLF, so poor weekdays will lead into another 55-60%+ drop next weekend. By the time Scream is out, who will care anymore? Another 60% drop that weekend would likely kill 200M. There's no way to spin this as a win for the MCU.

I don't think it falls that hard versus Creed even with loss of PLFs, probably more in the 50-55% range. Thinking more along the lines of 220m-230m domestic.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, YM! said:

Honestly the best way to move forward is to scale back on content for Marvel. Probably too late now but they could try readjusting the schedule once more (3 movies and 2 shows):

Phase 5 continued:

5/3/2024 - New World Order

7/26/2024 - Thunderbolts

11/8/2024 - Blade

(Echo and Ironheart are the 2024 shows, turn Nova into a special)

2/14/2025 - Deadpool and Wolverine

5/2/2025 - Spider-Man 4

Phase 6:

11/7/2025 - Fantastic Four

(Agatha and Daredevil are the 2025 shows)

2026 could be a combination of Shang-Chi 2, Armor Wars and Eternals 2

2027 could be Doctor Strange 3, Kang Dynasty and Black Panther 3

2028 - World War Hulk, Secret Wars, Champions

Yes, they should delay sure-shot billion-dollar movies such as KD and SW and prioritise 400-500 million-dollar movies such as Eternals 2, SC 2, and Armor Wars for another round of mediocrity lol

Edited by Willowra

9 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Yes, they should delay sure-shot billion-dollar movies such as KD and SW and prioritise 400-500 million-dollar movies such as Eternals 2, SC 2, and Armor Wars for another round of mediocrity lol

Well KD and SW should be challenging for highest grossing all time especially the latter but if you pump out enough mediocrity beforehand and let Loveness write KD then they probably won't get that high, better to take it slow and attempt to get it right then just rush it out to hit a date 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You are the equivalent of the "It's Fine" meme of dog in burning house

Two rottens on RT in the span of 14 years is not the death of the franchise. other franchises have had far worse strings of bombs in a row. Quantumania isn't even the worst reviewed superhero movie of the last few years! I think people are more rooting for the franchise to fail than the franchise is actually failing. It'll be frustrating when people make up something about how Guardians is a fluke like they pretend No Way Home, Shang-Chi, and Black Panther are apparently now flukes 

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Well KD and SW should be challenging for highest grossing all time especially the latter but if you pump out enough mediocrity beforehand and let Loveness write KD then they probably won't get that high, better to take it slow and attempt to get it right then just rush it out to hit a date 

Also if Shang-Chi is going to be a big player for the saga, would make since to have him getting another project before the big team up. Also SC2, Eternals 2 and Strange 3 were added to the production list, and it would make sense to build up the new names too especially where there's a sea of new heroes this saga.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Two rottens on RT in the span of 14 years is not the death of the franchise. other franchises have had far worse strings of bombs in a row. Quantumania isn't even the worst reviewed superhero movie of the last few years! I think people are more rooting for the franchise to fail than the franchise is actually failing. It'll be frustrating when people make up something about how Guardians is a fluke like they pretend No Way Home, Shang-Chi, and Black Panther are apparently now flukes 

*Two rottens on RT in the span of 1.5 years

• Like 3

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Why? Secret Wars maybe but Kang would logically be measured against Infinity War, not Endgame.

Well I'm assuming all the cameos would massively boost KD, if that movie brings back RDJ, Evans, Tobey, deadpool,etc then I think it could hit that number, of course if they save those guys til SW then yeah it should be more IW level and that's assuming china let's it in

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It is failing. This is enduring one of the worst 2nd weekend collapses for a blockbuster ever. The Cinemascores and audience scores are dropping across the board. 

Also you mention NWH, Shang-Chi and BP2 as successes... that's 3 films. By this you admit... Thor 4, DS2 and Eternals were failures.. so you inadvertently agree that 50% of their recent outcome has not worked thus proving my point lol. (I would also add BW into the failure category however that had so much against it)

Name these other franchises that have had far worse strings of bombs in a row and survived. You can't?

Critically, Harry Potter franchise has never had a film worse than 63 metacritic or 78% on RT. (Until Fantastic Beasts which has failed to catch on)

Something like Transformers were always critically bad yet played well with audiences UNTIL a certain point.

DC can't manage to shake off its stigma of bombs in a row. 

Fast and Furious kinda flopped with 3 until 4 rebooted the franchise. But now it's diminishing returns since the quality has decreased and the series hit its peak

10 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

KD is anyway not getting that high without Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, so it is better to prioritize their big franchises like KD and SW than prioritizing movies such as Eternals 2, SC2, and Armor Wars, which won't even gross $500 million worldwide. If they can prioritize Wakanda Forever over Ant-Man 3, they can also prioritize KD and SW over these likely flops.

15 minutes ago, YM! said:

Also if Shang-Chi is going to be a big player for the saga, would make since to have him getting another project before the big team up. Also SC2, Eternals 2 and Strange 3 were added to the production list, and it would make sense to build up the new names too especially where there's a sea of new heroes this saga.

Puppet Laugh GIF - Puppet Laugh Sarcastic - Discover & Share GIFs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, YM! said:

Strange 3 isn't added to the production list, only SC2 & Eternals were added as per that scooper.

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

KD is anyway not getting that high without Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, so it is better to prioritize their big franchises like KD and SW than prioritizing movies such as Eternals 2, SC2, and Armor Wars, which won't even gross $500 million worldwide. If they can prioritize Wakanda Forever over Ant-Man 3, they can also prioritize KD and SW over these likely flops.

I don't see how SC2 and Armor Wars miss 500m WW. 

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The rottens aren't issues except for arguably presales but that doesn't stop a movie from succeeding. Illumination has had mediocre reviews from conception and is now the biggest theatrical name in animation because the GA loves their films. If Eternals and Quantumania had As or even A-’s, there would be no problem on reception as the general audience being satisfied is the main thing that matters. The thing is while the movies are still making bank, the problem is general audience reception.

I am not going to deny some have been rooting for Marvel to fail, but a lot of people care about this franchise. I still am a huge comic book nerd, I'm even watching and thoroughly enjoying Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, a Disney Channel cartoon and while I've been underwhelmed I've enjoyed a lot of Phase 4’s output (most of the movies except Thor, She-Hulk, WandaVision, Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel I've been net-positive on (3/5 or higher)). However, there does seem to be a problem with audience reception. Wakanda Forever loved but it's not saving Quantumania rn is it. I don't think Guardians will be effected as it's a subfranchise and The Marvels will drop because like Wakanda comes from a zeitgeist first movie but it'll likely do 650m at a minimum WW. Also NWO and Deadpool seem like hits. But to deny that if similar audience reception continues this phase that it won't suffer consequences is just being obtuse.

• Like 2